Well I just defretted my bass and im really happy with the results but I have a couple questions. I put GHS flatwounds on it and I noticed that the notes dont sustain as long (especially on the E string) as they did when my bass was fretted and had roundwounds on it, is this because of the strings or the not having any frets? Also, I heard alot of different thoughts about slaping on a fretless and wondering if slaping can damage my fingerboard?
rule of thumb, dont slap on a fretless
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by gravytrain34
Well I just defretted my bass and im really happy with the results but I have a couple questions. I put GHS flatwounds on it and I noticed that the notes dont sustain as long (especially on the E string) as they did when my bass was fretted and had roundwounds on it, is this because of the strings or the not having any frets? Also, I heard alot of different thoughts about slaping on a fretless and wondering if slaping can damage my fingerboard?

yeah slapping a fretless damages the wood, but apparently coating the fretboard will solve that...i dunno =P

theres another thread on this page about slapping fretless's basses....it has everything you need to know, plus a cute argument about forum n00bs =D
Step one: buy a can of polyurethane. Step two: take off your strings. Step three: apply polyurethane to the fingerboard with a foam brush. Step 4: repeat step three as many times as necessary. Step 5: let the fingerboard dry for 24 hours at least. Step 6: put strings back on. Step 7: Never worry about damaging the fingerboard ever again.

Okay, now that that's out of the way. You're probably not holding the string down hard enough when you play. It takes much more force on a fretless than a fretted so be very liberal with the amount of pressure you apply. The onyl other thing I can think of is, did you put wood filler int he fret slots?
Quote by axeslinger01

No. That's dumb advice.

Also, I've got some roundwounds on my fretless. It hasn't done any real damage yet, though I'll probably put some polyeu**** on it if it gets bad.
Yeah, I wanna get fretless for the sound, but I'll probably just buy a new bass 'cause the piece of crap bass I have right now isn't worth the trouble. Now, finding one in lefty is going to be a pain in the ass.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Unique sound.

And that "MWAH" is a wonderful thing.

Another reason is that after you've played them for a while, you realize what Jaco meant when he called frets "speed bumps".
Quote by anarkee
And that "MWAH" is a wonderful thing.

Another reason is that after you've played them for a while, you realize what Jaco meant when he called frets "speed bumps".

+1
i realized that 5 minutes into my second time playing one

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
yeh i made my own fretless, its got a ebony fretboard, i slap the f*** outta it n its still fine, and flatwounds are mainly to imitate the noise of a traditional upright bass, so generally u will get less sustain out of them, but that mite just be my observation, ive got roundwounds on mine n they have plenty of sustain
Quote by Andy2k64
I wanna defret my old bass but don't lnow how too :-S

Andy, use thy search bar. Jazz_Rock_Feel did a thread on this a while back, and several others have followed suit. If you had any follow up questions that are not answered in the thread, PM the TS or post in the thread itself. Jazz' is particularly interesting because he wrote it up as a "Journey of discovery" and was pretty blunt about his own mistakes and successes.
Pressing the strings down harder didnt do n e thing and yes I did use wood filler. l was thinking about apply poly to it but I heard it would make my bass sound brighter so I didnt and I also heard of a "slapping guard" but could never find one so do they actually exist?
it's probably the flatwounds. I've never found a flatwound with a lot of sustain. use the polyurethane and put on rounds if you want sustain. and I've never heard of slapping guards.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
you could be talking a about a slap board(i think thats what they are called) Its like a little piece of metal at the bottom of the fingerboard that the string smacks against so you get a more traditional slap sound
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
I started defretting mine last nite....hopefully will be done for later. I'll post pics! wish me luck :-)
Quote by axeslinger01

Dude...I hope that wasn't a pun

And you can...It's harder to make it sound good seeing as there's no frets, you'd wanna be good at Eq.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Well I just defretted my bass and im really happy with the results but I have a couple questions. I put GHS flatwounds on it and I noticed that the notes dont sustain as long (especially on the E string) as they did when my bass was fretted and had roundwounds on it, is this because of the strings or the not having any frets? QUOTE]

Back to the original question;
Yes, exactly.
On a fretted bass you'll have your finger on or behind the fret, so the string rests on top of the fret, which is a well defined pointlike spot. The string can vibrate freely between this spot and the saddle. With no frets this point becomes a much larger fuzzy, fluffy spot absorbing vibrations. Just in front of that spot the waves of the vibrating string will touch the fretboard, also damping the vibrations.
Then there are the flatwounds that are known to have more internal friction than roundwounds, taking out even more energy.
This is basically what makes the frettless sound like a fretless and should be exactly what you wanted.
There is a twitch, however. If the bass wasn't already very sustainfull to start with, a conversion like this can push it over the edge completely. In that case switching back to roundwounds can brighten up things a bit.
Quote by MartyC
yeh i made my own fretless, its got a ebony fretboard, i slap the f*** outta it n its still fine, and flatwounds are mainly to imitate the noise of a traditional upright bass, so generally u will get less sustain out of them, but that mite just be my observation, ive got roundwounds on mine n they have plenty of sustain

Ebony is also a very durable, hard wood. Most basses don't have an ebony fretboard.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10