Basically, my 8 year old nephew has got an acoustic guitar and i am wondering whet to teach him that is short and easy. His hands aren't as big as a full grown person so he is having trouble with the powerchords. So far he can play Smoke on the water(all on the E string) and the Riff to that new Ben Lee song using the 1st and 3rd strings. So powerchord songs are bad and chord songs are bad too. Any riffs or whatever, just something to get his fingers movin more.
Rock Lobster.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
hot cross buns, mary had a little lamb, the snoopy theme song any easy little nursery rhyme type of thing
Quote by Eminored
The Pit is like the black market man. Everything's faster and you don't have to speak correct English.
Quote by albino_flamingo
hot cross buns, mary had a little lamb, the snoopy theme song any easy little nursery rhyme type of thing

i started out playing these and
im a pretty descent guitar player
Maybe you could teach him solo stuff to accompany chord stuff. Wish you were here might be a good one. He'll learn slides and hammer ons/pull offs, and you can play the chords to go along with it.

That aside, maybe basslines would work. You could teach him The Joker, play the lead riff to Smoke on the Water while he does the bass, etc. I think anything that involves playing along with you would work well. It'll be fun for him to jam out with his uncle, and it'll teach him the all important ability of being able keep time with other musicians, which will put him way ahead of the game.

Hope that helps
^ I agree with Garou, teach him some stuff you can play chords behind, my guitar teacher I had for my first few months of playing just always played the same thing I was playing, and then when he was just playing chords behind me it took me a little while to get the feel of it, if you start him on that early I think it'd help with his timing and rhythm