Okay, I play metal, and I know my power chords.
Is it really important for me to learn the shapes of the major, minor, and sus. chords?
I understand how they're constructed (well major, diminished and augmented anyway) but have not taken the time to actually learn them individually.
If it is important, what chords should I start with? What chords are most essential to know?
Yes.
If you just want a shortcut to minimum theory learning while getting to know more chords to use in Metal (which I don't suggest if you ever want to truly perfect your own shred/solo over your own song), then suspended chords are used in Metal so you can start there.

Leaving out major, minor, diminished etc chords places you in a deep hole when/if it comes to you wanting to learn arpeggios.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Last edited by Eternal_One at Oct 28, 2007,
Major scales go WWHWWWH
W=whole steps (2 frets)
H= Half staps (1 fret)
C major has no sharps or flats
Salut
@ Shipou, what the hell are you on about? He is asking about the importance of chords, not asking for an explanation of the C major scale????
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
I know my major scale, shipou and the circle of fifths.. I also know all my notes up and down the fret-board I just previously didn't bother to learn chord shapes. I'll start work on that.
Thanks guys.
I advise not just learning the shapes, but understand the intervals that form those shapes and how/why they change, it shouldn't take long if you already know the circle of fifths etc.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.