I don't care if it has a inboard fx like dist., chorus ect, I just want a good amp for 150. I don't know anything about amps, and I don't know if I should sell my line 6 amp, since I know you guys hate them, but I don't know if I can even get any out of the 15 watt version... and plus (waits for flames) I like the distortion on it, but the effects and clean channel are lulz.

I just want a nice amp for clean stuff, and I might get some boss pedals or a digitec fx processor if I want to. I want this to sound moderately good too, just if I want to sell my crappy line 6.
fender champion

the crate v8

epiphone valve junior
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Roland Microcube?

I think you may as well just stay with your Spider; hopping from practice amp to practice amp doesn't make much sense

If you just want clean, I agree with the Epi Valve Junior.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Save up for more? sounds good. Maybe I could combine my bday money with my xmas money. How much am I looking at, for a good, non practice amp?
What type of music do you play?

I just got a used Peavey Classic 50 2x12 for $380, that'll suit me gigging just fine and dandy .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Dont get a single channel amp like suggested. You'll be wanting distortion, and you'll be unable to crank it without blowing your ears off. I would go with a Roland Cube. If you need a VJ, allow yourself at least an extra $50 for a good OD like a Digitech Bad Monkey or something
I play metal, like Lamb of God and such, I want to be able to play 80's **** like Megadeth and Metallica, and maybe a bit cleaner stuff, like alternative. Some clean songs mixed in, and that's pretty much it. But I'd like it good all around.

I don't think I could afford to go over 500, too.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Roland Microcube?

I agree. My friend has one, for the size you may think that it'll sound like crap, but it is a great amp. It's got great effects, great distortion, and for being so small, it gets moderately loud for a little practice amp
VJ isn't going to cut it for modern metal, even with an OD. You might as well be running a metal muff into a PA power amp. They are a vintage voiced amp that just aren't that great for metal. If you wait and save, $500 could get you a used B-52 or used ValveKing.
well you're gonna need pedals for metal tone unless you spend a lot of money on a sweet tube amp. i'd suggest the peavey valve king combo.
Quote by CJRocker
VJ isn't going to cut it for modern metal, even with an OD. You might as well be running a metal muff into a PA power amp. They are a vintage voiced amp that just aren't that great for metal. If you wait and save, $500 could get you a used B-52 or used ValveKing.

I was going to say that. However, I'm not looking for an amp so loud you could hear it in a stadium. I don't even plan on doing gigging if you thought that. Maybe play for a crowd of 30 max if I ever needed to. But it seems I'm going to have to pay a lot for that, huh?

So much for my pedal board
Quote by Links 2 3 4
I play metal, like Lamb of God and such, I want to be able to play 80's **** like Megadeth and Metallica, and maybe a bit cleaner stuff, like alternative. Some clean songs mixed in, and that's pretty much it. But I'd like it good all around.

I don't think I could afford to go over 500, too.

It really depends on how much what you want to play .

The Peavey Classic is pretty versatile (can't get *really* gainy without a pedal).

A used Peavey 5150 would get excellent higher gain tones, but would require some tweaking (and maybe a chorus pedal) to get good cleans out of.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
It really depends on how much what you want to play .

The Peavey Classic is pretty versatile (can't get *really* gainy without a pedal).

A used Peavey 5150 would get excellent higher gain tones, but would require some tweaking (and maybe a chorus pedal) to get good cleans out of.

like I said I don't want inboard fx, so the pedal will be purchased seperately. This won't be purchased for another few months, but however, I might buy the pedal when I get the money. So, let me narrow it down.

Peavey - Classic, and valveking
Roland microcube
Epi VJ

that it?

I'm going to look into the peavey... and to think of it, I saw a friend at guitar center, and the boss pedal board was hooked up to a peavey combo, prob the valveking, although it was very small, and he played the dist. boss pedal (distortion zone, or something like that) and I liked the sound, very much. It was with a cheap 300 dollar Jackson, too.

5150??!?!?! I wish! My neighbor has one, with a rocktron fx (I think) processor, and wow, it sounds amazing... absolutely GREAT!

nevermind, I thought you meant a tube, because my neighbor has one, and they're lots of money :|
Quote by Links 2 3 4
like I said I don't want inboard fx, so the pedal will be purchased seperately. This won't be purchased for another few months, but however, I might buy the pedal when I get the money. So, let me narrow it down.

Peavey - Classic, and valveking
Roland microcube
Epi VJ

that it?

I'm going to look into the peavey... and to think of it, I saw a friend at guitar center, and the boss pedal board was hooked up to a peavey combo, prob the valveking, although it was very small, and he played the dist. boss pedal (distortion zone, or something like that) and I liked the sound, very much. It was with a cheap 300 dollar Jackson, too.

5150??!?!?! I wish! My neighbor has one, with a rocktron fx (I think) processor, and wow, it sounds amazing... absolutely GREAT!

nevermind, I thought you meant a tube, because my neighbor has one, and they're lots of money :|

You can pick up a used 5150 for around $500 regularly on Ebay.

if you have the Peavey Classic on the list, you might as well add the Crate V32 and Laney LC15.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Links 2 3 4

A used Peavey 5150 is in your price range.
Quote by utsapp89
Line 6 II or III 15 watt all the way.

and some of the people that say line 6 sucks haven't even played one ,all they like to do it jump on the band wagin and kick dead horses and say line 6 suck haha heheh.I have a line 6 15 III and I love it to death and clean - Insane is a dream so the people that say it sucks are dumbasses.
Last edited by Mr.Abomination at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Mr.Abomination

and some of the people that say line 6 sucks haven't even played one ,all they like to do it jump on the band wagin and kick dead horses and say line 6 suck haha heheh.I have a line 6 15 III and I love it to death and clean - Insane is a dream so the people that say it sucks are dumbasses.

oh... did you just say that, or do I have an eye infection... oh ****/
Quote by Links 2 3 4
oh... did you just say that, or do I have an eye infection... oh ****/

I hope you can read.

If you do have a infection check that out with a doctor.
Quote by Mr.Abomination
I hope you can read.

If you do have a infection check that out with a doctor.

I have it. Most people who have it say OMG ITS TEH WINZORZ GET IT. I don't. I played a marshall, then this. then some little peavey amp for the same price, or maybe just a little more. it blew it away....
Quote by Links 2 3 4
I have it. Most people who have it say OMG ITS TEH WINZORZ GET IT. I don't. I played a marshall, then this. then some little peavey amp for the same price, or maybe just a little more. it blew it away....

what blew what away?
I played the beginning of one, on both clean channels, with a HSS strat, same one, and the marshall blew it away, hands down. Line 6 amps, are pretty good, however, when you use distortion. Don't turn it past 5, however, without some pedal distortion, since the built in one sucks.
i didn't read every post but if you think your line 6 sounds good, you should take a trip (or 2 or 3) to some guitar shops and play different guitars and amps. once you hear other amps and distortions and such you will come to grips with what you like the sound of (maybe you will still love the sound of your spider maybe not)
Quote by mrmarc772
i didn't read every post but if you think your line 6 sounds good, you should take a trip (or 2 or 3) to some guitar shops and play different guitars and amps. once you hear other amps and distortions and such you will come to grips with what you like the sound of (maybe you will still love the sound of your spider maybe not)

thats what i did...
moved.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by Links 2 3 4
thats what i did...

well then good job you should have an idea of which ones you liked or didn't like.
Last edited by mrmarc772 at Oct 28, 2007,
Originally Posted by Mr.Abomination

i really LOL'd.

Compare the spider half stack to my 5150. (which isnt even fair sorry)

OR

the Spider III 120, $400.

VS:

Peavey Classic 30 (Used) you can get about $300-$350.

There is no comparison, i mean have you ever played a TUBE amp? im not just going with the "Bandwagon" My good friend has the III 75 and his nehbior has the III 150. So ive played BOTH for a decent amount of time time sence i didnt wana haul my 5150 over there and blow there windows. They sound SO horrible. I'd say my MG10 sounded just as good if not better which is VERY sad. TBH, you have no idea what your talking about if you say Spiders are good, i even gave the Spider vavles a equal chance when i was getting my 5150, and all the people were laguhing at me b/c i was playing a spider but they sure wernt when i was hauling out my 5150

Just my 2 cents. and i might sig that (TOP OF MY POST)

I wouldnt suggest the JV in this case go for a Cube pretty good.
Quote by mrmarc772
well then good job you should have an idea of which ones you liked or didn't like.

yes, like i said about the marshalls.