Page 1 of 2
In all the punk rock videos and punk rock shows i've seen, i've never seen a punk guitarist use ibanez or dean. Mostly fender tele and strat and gibson les pauls. is the ibanez a guitar just for metal or heavy sounding genre's or can you possibly use it for punk. i wonder? anyone here saw a punk guitarist use an ibanez.

**please excuse my repetitive use of words such as punk and ibanez.
::type
Quote by punkrox101
In all the punk rock videos and punk rock shows i've seen, i've never seen a punk guitarist use ibanez or dean. Mostly fender tele and strat and gibson les pauls. is the ibanez a guitar just for metal or heavy sounding genre's or can you possibly use it for punk. i wonder? anyone here saw a punk guitarist use an ibanez.

Pennywise and The Offspring both use Ibanez guitars. Infact, Noodles has a signature guitar from Ibanez.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
like the guy above me said, the offspring almost use solely ibanez, dexter holland and noodles wasserman.

EDIT: i read that noodles also uses strats and LP's occasionally
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Last edited by impeachpedro10 at Oct 28, 2007,
deans are usually to big and bulky to use in punk IDK

i've seen some guy use deans in a punk band before i can't remember the bands though
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
I used to be in a punk band and I played Ibanez. I'm not famous or anything...
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
punk really is more about the playing the equipment. normally the sound isn't meant to anything special when it comes to real punk. its just suposed to loud and fast. so the guitar really doesn't matter.
Ibanezes and Deans arent used in punk that much because they frequently use active pickups-which are terrible for punk rock. Pennywise is the only punk band I can think of that uses one seeing as the Offspring are NOT a punk band.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
im not trying to be a smart ass in any way, but if the offspring arent punk, what are they? i mean, they have ventured into power pop during conspiracy of one and splinter.....and ive heard people call them metal?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
well bradly nowell of sublime used ibanez... but that was more ska... its just not common... why idk ...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Ibanezes and Deans arent used in punk that much because they frequently use active pickups-which are terrible for punk rock. Pennywise is the only punk band I can think of that uses one seeing as the Offspring are NOT a punk band.

Maybe Dean, but most Ibanez have passive pick ups from the factory.
I use my Ibanez for everything from blues to metal.
Quote by RizzoWashburn

Buddy, but sorry to burst your bubble here, but from their self-titled album till Smash, they were pretty damn punk. Even after Smash, punk was a huge influence in their music.
Quote by blackflag49
Nope, pop-rock.

Go listen to the albums The Offspring, Ignition, and Smash and tell me that they are less punk than Bad Religion or any other California Punk band.
Quote by outlaw metaler
deans are usually to big and bulky to use in punk IDK

i've seen some guy use deans in a punk band before i can't remember the bands though

Eagle from the Aquabats uses a Dean.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
I'd say that the offsrping started off as pop-punk and became a pop rock band. And I rock my artcore for punk and it is pretty sweet.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
i consider the offspring more punk than pop by far i mean just because a band wants to experiment doesn't mean they deserve this bull**** that they get. I think that teir surf punk cuz its alot more bad reigion/agent orangeish than good charolette and simple plan cuz the offspring actually have punk topics. Their early stuff was punk though the people who say their not have only heard like Pretty Fly for a White Guy. Until you've heard Tehran, Jennifer Lost The War, and Blackball then they can talk.
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Quote by Newdawn
i consider the offspring more punk than pop by far i mean just because a band wants to experiment doesn't mean they deserve this bull**** that they get. I think that teir surf punk cuz its alot more bad reigion/agent orangeish than good charolette and simple plan cuz the offspring actually have punk topics. Their early stuff was punk though the people who say their not have only heard like Pretty Fly for a White Guy. Until you've heard Tehran, Jennifer Lost The War, and Blackball then they can talk.

exactly
^ yeah some of us actually own all their rocords (like me) and you can't say that L. A. P. D. is a pop punk song
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Quote by Newdawn
^ yeah some of us actually own all their rocords (like me) and you can't say that L. A. P. D. is a pop punk song

lol, old school Cali punk FTW
Quote by punkrox101

the offspring use ibanez.........and even there bassit uses ibanez
I didn't say pop punk as an insult, pop punk is awesome. I have listened to stuff spanning their disco. and I wouldn't say that they were ever a straight up punk band. I have a feeling that we have different notions of what punk rock is so we probably won't see eye to eye on this no matter what.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
^ I was gonna memtion that cuz also whats the point of calling bands posers cuz normally its the people just getting into the scene that say that stuff as my bands (hopefully) lead singer once put it. But yeah i mean there are people that call pink, blink-182, and even Panic At The Disco punk u know so its all opinion. I mean I've grown up around SO CAL surf and cali punk and that shows in my guitar work for I work around arabian scales and just on the clean channel of my amp on the neck pickup it sounds so like that come out and play riff lol

I know Kurt77 its cool to live in cali man i remember living in long beach when sublime first started and the offspring were still local along with others to bad i was a little kid that was moved to compton for 3 years lol
Quote by nasstyman
Last edited by Newdawn at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Newdawn
^ I was gonna memtion that cuz also whats the point of calling bands posers cuz normally its the people just getting into the scene that say that stuff as my bands (hopefully) lead singer once put it. But yeah i mean there are people that call pink, blink-182, and even Panic At The Disco punk u know so its all opinion. I mean I've grown up around SO CAL surf and cali punk and that shows in my guitar work for I work around arabian scales and just on the clean channel of my amp on the neck pickup it sounds so like that come out and play riff lol

I know Kurt77 its cool to live in cali man i remember living in long beach when sublime first started and the offspring were still local along with others to bad i was a little kid that was moved to compton for 3 years lol

I would have loved to have lived in Cali back in the late 80's. I pretty much grew up on Bad Religion, Pennywise, Ten Foot Pole, NoFX, The Offspring, and Rancid.
You can play anything in punk. Preferably a guitar that really krangs when you hit it hard, and one that you aren't afraid to beat up a little. Light and comfortable to your hands preferably too because you want to be able to really jump around stage without missing too many chords.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I would have loved to have lived in Cali back in the late 80's. I pretty much grew up on Bad Religion, Pennywise, Ten Foot Pole, NoFX, The Offspring, and Rancid.

i know it was pretty big in the early 90s too. I remember the woman who cuts my hair told me how she saw the offspring in like 92. A friend of mine her uncle was sublimes bassist so I pretty much am kicking myself that i was in a trailer park and learning to tie my shoes when an awesome thing was going down. Hell at least we still have the Warped Tour and K-Roq haha
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by Newdawn
i know it was pretty big in the early 90s too. I remember the woman who cuts my hair told me how she saw the offspring in like 92. A friend of mine her uncle was sublimes bassist so I pretty much am kicking myself that i was in a trailer park and learning to tie my shoes when an awesome thing was going down. Hell at least we still have the Warped Tour and K-Roq haha

Yeah man, loved seeing Bad Religion and Pennywise at this years warped tour, they were the best performers by far.

The only thing I can brag about, is my cousin getting backstage at an Offspring concert in Calgary back in the 90's. You have no idea how jealous I am of her.
^ yeah i was gonna take my girlfriend to it but her parents hate me and i had to work cuz i didn't have the cash. It's funnny she loved pop music and so i got her to listen to Americana cuz its a good start and she loved it so i got her into my music. Hope she didn't think i pick because of "She's Got Issues" lol

that beats me and i'm jealous of her too what did she do haha
Quote by nasstyman
i never thought this thread would end up as a "who's punk and who's not" thread. anyways, noodles' sig ibanez has a body similar to a telecaster and has ibanez pickups.
::type
its based off ibanezs talman series the elecrtic models are discontinued and there now acoustics
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by rhymeswith suck
Eagle from the Aquabats uses a Dean.

Aquabats? as in the band from california? i believe they have an album called charge!!...is that the band you were referring to?
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Quote by blackflag49
I use an Ibanez.. but I'm not that good.

ahh...so u use it for punk too!

btw, pretty sure this is a dean http://youtube.com/watch?v=-UVN7icfRqE
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Newdawn
^ yeah i was gonna take my girlfriend to it but her parents hate me and i had to work cuz i didn't have the cash. It's funnny she loved pop music and so i got her to listen to Americana cuz its a good start and she loved it so i got her into my music. Hope she didn't think i pick because of "She's Got Issues" lol

that beats me and i'm jealous of her too what did she do haha

americana is a great album one of the first that i heard(independently) when i was younger
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

LP's are best for punk rock, and for anyone who likes punk, check out Mxpx.com, they have all there music there, best punk band EVER.
Quote by HLrocker
LP's are best for punk rock, and for anyone who likes punk, check out Mxpx.com, they have all there music there, best punk band EVER.

lol.....................................................no
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
telecasters are better for punk than lp's
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by latinosuperstud
telecasters are better for punk than lp's

any guitar is good for punk, the only thing that a punk guitar needs is playability.
I've honestly never seen bradley use a strat he used a sabre and a musicman once in a while and then "the brown guitar" that was custom built for him but i've never seen that one.
Quote by nasstyman
the strat can be seen in parts of the date rape vid... other than that it really isnt seen much

his s model ibanez is the thing i see the most with him when hes not going acoustic
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Page 1 of 2