Page 1 of 2
I use dunlop Jazz III for most of the time, but whenever I just use the low 3 strings, like in metal songs, I find it a lot easier with dunlop tortexes, .73mm
same here man! i use dunlop jazz 3 3mm picks

i cant use anything else for some reason
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Either Dunlop 1.14 mm or Dunlop stubby 3 mm.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
dunlop tortex FTW!
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
A pink dunlop pick, .93 i think, its kinda worn off..
reach in the darkness for what you can find travel great distance in your mind.
I ordered 2 of the red colour jazz ones. My friend reccomended it to me, and my bro reccomended the tortexes. I got some musicians friend brand picks, and they're actuly ok O_O

I got like 11 more jazz III, 9 tortexes (gave some to my friend), and like 11 more musicians friend.

the jazz picks, go insanely fast, figures since JP uses them

I heard the black jazz III's, are smaller, or more flexible... I don't know, but I might order some.
i will only ever use Dunlop Tortex 1.0 mm. i've loved them ever since i first tried them and anything else just doesn't feel right.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Black Jazz III's. The red ones just don't do it for me. They must put something special in the black ones.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Fender 358 Jazz Heavy.

Fender 358 Jazz Heavy.

The Fender Jazz heavies are real good for leads because they don't f*ckin' bend, but they do get slippery when your fingers start to sweat. Plus, Guitar Center doesn't carry these anymore, so they're kind of a hassle to get.

So, instead, I'm using the Dunlop black Tortex 1.14mm picks (the thickest in that style). They have a real good grip, thanks to its slight texture, but the larger pick gets in the way sometimes, and they're slightly thinner than the Fender 358 heavies. GC does carry these. Dunlop also makes a slightly thicker pick than this, but it's more slippery. If Dunlop made a teardrop version of this, it'd be perfect, IMO.

Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz
[0.50mm shown; 1.14mm is heaviest gauge available in this style]

Hey! I just noticed! We all like the same-brand picks!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 28, 2007,
Tortex 0.60mm - the orange picks
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
does it really make a difference? either way.. I use Dickies .69mm
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
^Picks matter quite a bit if thats what your wondering.

Electric: I use Brain's now. 0.73 to be exact.
Acoustic: Jim Dunlop Nylons. 0.73
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Gator Grip .96mm's for me.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
Quote by Shredxmyheart
does it really make a difference? either way.. I use Dickies .69mm
Totally! Oh yeah, Dunlop Tortex 0.60mm for acoustic playing. And by the way, the Dunlop Jazz IIIs are a close substitute for the Fender Jazz 'cause they're nice and thick. But, unfortunately, the plastic is too soft, and I end up tearing up the edges of those things pretty quickly. So after a few hours of play, they're no good anymore. So, I switched to the Dunlop black Tortex 1.14mm picks. Those are holding up very well, and I'm starting to get used to their larger size.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 28, 2007,
Black jazz three's.
I love those babies, my picking has improved so much those, I can gallop at 170, before I was stuck down at like 130.

Disclaimer.
Speed is not everything, rather one of many standards I can guage the improvement of my picking in.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I hate how kids in my school jsut choose the coolest looking picks...

I <3 my dunlop jazz iii's
I have Dunlop Tortex picks in .50mm (red), .60mm (orange), and .73mm (yellow) and I tend to find myself either using the orange or yellow one's. The red is a little too thin and flimsy for me.
amen to jazz III!

and does john petrucci use these? (i saw someone say JP uses these so they go fast)
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
I use Jazz III's, and the Dunlop Tortex 0.73(yellow) and 0.88(green).
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
i like the tortex 0.73's (yellow)

they're easy to get a good grip on....
My Gear:

Guitar #1: 1997 Fender MIM Strat
Guitar #2: 2007 Epi SG (G-310)

Effects: Roland DS-1 Distortion (for switching in distortion quickly, NOT cause I want a "l33t brootalz tonz!")
Amp: Roland Microcube
I was also addicted to the Jazz III's but after I discovered the 1mm stubby that just blew the Jazz III away. Black or Red theyre in anyway the same just a diff colour. Stubby's RULE.
I'm going through a small pile of picks at the moment. I'm really liking the red Sharksfin and the Dava control pick. I love the Dava grip pick, but the rubber is too low down, keeps hitting the strings Am going to order a tin of delrin 351s next week.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Dunlop Tortex 1mm exclusively for as far back as I can remember, years anyhow.
I use 1 mm (which I can bend with my fingers), though I plan to buy thicker picks once I run out of 1 mm's.

Type of Pick?

Dunlop Tortex - rad picks dude!
Jim Dunlop 1mm Blacks.

Not really out of choice, just that they only sell Dunlops in Ayr.

And for Bass I use something like a Jim Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm.

EDIT: Ever tried playing those like paper thin ones? My friend uses the Dunlop and Fender ones, and they're impossible to play with! They make pinch harmonics near impossible, they click on the strings and you can't tremelo pick easily cause it falls out your hand! At least that's MY view...
Dunlop regular 1 mm...

I'd like to try the Jazz 3's though but I can't find any of them around here...
I actually use only Dunlop picks: red Jazz III for fast metal, purple Tortex (1.14) for rock, black Nylon (1.00) for acoustic and orange Tortex (0.60) for the rest, which has become mainly everything, lately.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Dunlop 1mm nylons. Those are the only picks I will buy now. I used to use whatever I could get as long as it was heavy, but most picks would wear out after an hour or so of playing. I can use the same 1mm nylon for months.
Quote by LEVEL4
Fender 358 Jazz Heavy.

Fender 358 Jazz Heavy.

The Fender Jazz heavies are real good for leads because they don't f*ckin' bend, but they do get slippery when your fingers start to sweat. Plus, Guitar Center doesn't carry these anymore, so they're kind of a hassle to get.

So, instead, I'm using the Dunlop black Tortex 1.14mm picks (the thickest in that style). They have a real good grip, thanks to its slight texture, but the larger pick gets in the way sometimes, and they're slightly thinner than the Fender 358 heavies. GC does carry these. Dunlop also makes a slightly thicker pick than this, but it's more slippery. If Dunlop made a teardrop version of this, it'd be perfect, IMO.

Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz
[0.50mm shown; 1.14mm is heaviest gauge available in this style]

Hey! I just noticed! We all like the same-brand picks!

wow, they do tortex jazz iii's?
they not at all bendy?
i hate the regulars at times,toooo bendy!!
The little 1mm tortex purple picks are a really good substitute for the Jazz III.

They are a little bit bigger but just as rigid and they're made out of different stuff.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
i needed something better then fender picks, so i checked out gator grips and settled on a .96. i still dont get how people can play hard enough to break fender picks though.. i had the same one for like a year. then i lost it.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Red and black Jazz III's. I actually kinda prefer the red ones.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
Page 1 of 2