Ok, so I've decided that I'm getting a Peavey Valveking 112.

I just want to know if I can get a good high gain tone with it or if I'll need a pedal.

And this is my first tube, I'm upgrading from a Cube 30. So how often do I need to change tubes? Is there anything else I should know about tubes?

Thanks a ton.
What pickups do you have, humbuckers, or single coil. I haven't used humbuckers on that amp, but single coil didn't get me extremely high gain sound. Nothing more then what a Cube could already give me. If you have humbuckers, IDK, you might still need a pedal.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
I have an Agile AL-3500 with humbuckers, but they're not amazing. I'll probably get EMG's sometime later down the road.

What would be a good pedal to use? I have a DS-1 but I don't really like it for distortion.
Try the valve king out with your guitar, and try using it with an overdrive pedal and a distortion pedal. So maybe, TS-9 and a metal muff.

If you can use an OD to get the distorted tone you want, get that. If you need the muff to get it, then, well, get that.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this