So I inherited my grandpa's '72 Fender Pbass and have been playing that for almost 2 years now with no problems what so ever. This was my first and my only bass. Now on almost every fret with the E string and numerous with the others every time i do a bend/vibrato/sustain a note it get's an extremey dead/rounded/crappy sounding note. Anyone know what's going on? And the remedies for this. And it has new strings, but the problem persists.
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
-Frank Zappa
My guess would go to pickups or frets
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I'm saying bridge, action, or frets.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
I'm saying bridge, action, or frets.

Agreed, esp if you don't get the effect on open strings.

The best bet would be to take it to a luthier or shop to check it out, esp. if you haven't done an bridge or truss rod adjustment yourself. And if its the frets, definitely have a pro look at it.

And congrats on owning what is considered by many a great vintage bass. Give it TLC and it will continue to serve you well.
Well thanks for all your advice, but I most likely will just take it to my shop because I have very little mechanical knowledge on basses.
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
-Frank Zappa
Quote by rcbass
Well thanks for all your advice, but I most likely will just take it to my shop because I have very little mechanical knowledge on basses.

that would be the best idea because you dont wanna mess up an old fender
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
To the TS, when you have a moment, take a picture of your Pbass and either post it on your profile or on the "Show off your bass" thread. I love those older Fender P basses and would love to see a picture of yours as well.
Quote by 14shadesofblue
that would be the best idea because you dont wanna mess up an old fender

Remember to ask them what was wrong, and how they fixed that problem though, so you'll be able to do it yourself after.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410