Page 1 of 2
So, I tried out a Marshall mode four head ($1900 or so is what I believe the guy paid) through a Peavey XXL cab (i only tried it through one, though he has two), using my ibanez rg2570e with the stock pickups.

Granted, he had more of a rhoads style gain, though i like high gain things... So I guess tube amps (such as for gigging, ive heard a tube 212 combo > a solid state half stack) arent the end all of all amps. My friends Ibanez tone blaster (of which has received bad reviews) actually doesnt do JUST metal, but cleans and regular overdrive, too. Though however, the reverb on it i didnt mess with too much, though I should. It probably wasnt that great anyway.

Thoughts?
I have a toneblaster combo and I like it, but it is best for metal. It gets a wider range of tones than my Marshall though. (But it can't do Marshall, and that's what I like).

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I guess he just likes that marshall tone or something. Maybe i could try to experiment with it with higher gain (if that little room doesnt give feedback again)!
From my experience, I've never played an amp that sounds as good as a tube amp that reacts well to my picking dynamics and such. Even if it sounded the same as an SS amp, my tube amp just feels much more responsive to the way I play than any other SS amp I've tried.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
From my experience, I've never played an amp that sounds as good as a tube amp that reacts well to my picking dynamics and such. Even if it sounded the same as an SS amp, my tube amp just feels much more responsive to the way I play than any other SS amp I've tried.

But what is your style of music?

It just seems like my sweeps are more articulate on high gain as compared to medium, though i have tried clean ones before. Its just a nifty tone, too, i guess.
So you tried out the Marshall Mode Four and didn't like it? That amp BLOWS and is WAY overpriced, and isn't full tube btw.

Or you tried it and liked it even though its not full tube? Then you're deaf
It was decent, but at the settings this guy had it on, i thought it was okay. But i mean, i liked the ibanez toneblaster distortion more.
Isn't the Marshall Mode Four a 350 watt crap hybrid amp that is way closer to being a solid state amp than a tube one?
i dig a lot of different solid state and hybrid amps. my favorite ss is a very responsive thing. i barely pluck it and you can barely hear it, hit the strings hard and you feel it in your face and the windows start to vibrate.

people just spend too much time messing around with these little 2x12 crates with horrible tin foil for speakers and never bother to find a SS worth playing. i mean, of course your ORANGE sounds better than the crate, sheesh.

and like i posted elsewhere, if you buy a modefour expecting a plexi sound, stick your balls in the chasis and electrocute yourself, because you're a 'tard.
Quote by TehJermie
and like i posted elsewhere, if you buy a modefour expecting a plexi sound, stick your balls in the chasis and electrocute yourself, because you're a 'tard.

LOL, if I actually put quotes in my sig, I'd probably use that...
So I'm not sure what amp i wanna go with... I want to stay cost effective, and i could get that toneblaster stack for $500 with a footswitch (musiciansfriend, no shipping deal, however long that goes on).

By the time i get the amp though, that deal will probably be off.

(Strangely enough, $249.99 + 69.99 shipping on MF for head/cab, $249.95 + 20 shipping for head/cab on zzounds, the place i got my ibanez rg).
Note, ive also tried a peavey bandit 112 that wasnt bad (except the clean channel was thin; of course, id go with a bigger version of the bandit if i were to use it as my own).
Last edited by Aus-10 at Oct 29, 2007,
Indeed tube amps aren't the end all. Some nice solid states like the Mode 4 and Randall V2 are sweet, not to mention the amazing Line 6 Vetta series.
Quote by Aus-10
But what is your style of music?

It just seems like my sweeps are more articulate on high gain as compared to medium, though i have tried clean ones before. Its just a nifty tone, too, i guess.

Relatively low-gain stuff- blues/classic rock/etc.

And TehJermie, you're right, I don't know much about good SS amps. I'm sure they're out there, but I've never heard of any models or brands to look for, and great sounding (IMO) tube amps have always been very easily accessible and affordable as well.
for the most part people gave up on solid state amps, because a majority of the early ones were terrible. a few people had it figured out though, and some still do it these days. they're pretty fringe, but they exist. a notable brand has been namedropped here many a few times and their amps are NOTORIOUS for rivaling a tube in sound, warmth, and dynamics. they cost a testicle though. when i'm where i want to be as far as amps, ill likely invest in one.
Quote by TehJermie
for the most part people gave up on solid state amps, because a majority of the early ones were terrible. a few people had it figured out though, and some still do it these days. they're pretty fringe, but they exist. a notable brand has been namedropped here many a few times and their amps are NOTORIOUS for rivaling a tube in sound, warmth, and dynamics. they cost a testicle though.

And which amp/price would this be just to make sure...?
they go for about 2 grand. and 9 out of 10 guitarist wont pay that much for something with transistors in it. just like people who wont buy a hybrid car.
Quote by TehJermie
they go for about 2 grand. and 9 out of 10 guitarist wont pay that much for something with transistors in it. just like people who wont buy a hybrid car.

Is ENGL tube?

If not, then that could be it? And thats definately outta my budget.
Hmm...

I need a good amp. That toneblaster stack seemed ok, but then again thats 2 pieces to carry out (head/cab). I don't really want to spend a lot, and this mode four kinda turned me off tube for metal (though the amp isnt all tube ive come to find out, just a hybrid)?

Hmm... I'm still trying to figure out what I should do about all this.
Quote by TehJermie

Why won't you just tell us?

I've talked to you in at least 2 threads where you praise various solid state amps, but then when I ask what amps specifically you're talking about you won't name anything.
Quote by Aus-10
Hmm...

I need a good amp. That toneblaster stack seemed ok, but then again thats 2 pieces to carry out (head/cab). I don't really want to spend a lot, and this mode four kinda turned me off tube for metal (though the amp isnt all tube ive come to find out, just a hybrid)?

So you judged all tube amps from playing ONE crappy hybrid? A little hasty, aren't we? Tube amps don't all sound the same, y'know. There's plenty of tube amps for low gain and high gain stuff. What's your budget again? Amps aren't the right place to cheap out on. Save if you must.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Why won't you just tell us?

I've talked to you in at least 2 threads where you praise various solid state amps, but then when I ask what amps specifically you're talking about you won't name anything.

spoke a little too soon buddy
yeah, i wont say what I own. keep my voodoo to myself, but i plan getting one of those pritchards down the line.
I just lost a long post due to some error v_v

Anyhow, how much would I need for a good amp for (primarily) high gain with some cleans? I mean, if i continue jamming with this guitarist, I wont need high high gain like I usually use... And I know the ibanez amp wont emulate a fender i have.

So how much money would i need for a good amp, thats ss, tube, or other...? Whatever i should go with...? Personal preference? Its just that in my area there isnt as much as I'd like to be able to try out...
Uhm...
Primarily metalcore with leads/solos, though this guy i may jam with isnt as much into it.

The Devil Wears Prada
The Showdown
The Human Abstract

www.myspace.com/megareece has a decent tone too, i guess.

Those aforementioned are 3 bands that I like that have the edge to them. Of course, I do like a song from "A day to remember", but i havent really listened to much of them... So, I guess the aforementioned to use as an example?
Eh, id like $500-ish to be safe.

Over $1000 is a no-go, though.

Maybe $750 range as a middle mark?
Sounds pretty high gain. Peavey 5150/6505 is one of the most notorious br00talz. The 6505 is the newer version and has better cleans (but still, that's not the purpose of the amp, and you can tell). Uhh Mesa DC series, possibly F-Series (versatile amp, kind of high gain, but it might not be up to par with your gain requirements). Check those for starters.

By the way, these will all be used. Only the 6505 is still under production, and that's $1,200 new.

(Going to bed now)

Ah poop you said you're not in a position to try a lot of amps. Honestly, with things like amps, it's really best to try them first :\
5150 is supposed to have the van halen sound isnt it O_o At least some...?

Yeah, what shall I do without actually getting to try many amps...?
Oh yeah, salespeople can manipulate things. I know, its my job at ticketmaster v_v

But the Van Halen sound (especially rhythms) arent necessarily close to metalcore... So i guess EQ'ing does the work here. Pretty versatile?
The 5150/6505 is pretty much a one trick pony, but it does that one trick damn well. Trust me, it's a high gain amp I don't particularly listen to metalcore, and teh br00talz are usually well into the thousands (ENGL anyone?), so... *shrug* look for some clips of the 5150/6505. You should be able to find plenty. Decide for yourself if it sounds like enough. Just because one player used an amp doesn't mean that's the only tone it'll get
If you want higher gain amps without paying serious money, then SS are quite good. The main problem is you have to have a ****load of headroom when you gig because they clip much more harshly than a tube amp would.
Quote by TehJermie

I've mentioned his amps a couple of times, I think he's got some great stuff there.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Aus-10
Hmm...

The Mode Four is NOT A TUBE AMP - therefore it doesn't sound anything like one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The Mode Four is NOT A TUBE AMP - therefore it doesn't sound anything like one.

"I don't really want to spend a lot, and this mode four kinda turned me off tube for metal (though the amp isnt all tube ive come to find out, just a hybrid)?"

I then go to mention how i know it isnt all tube ive come to find out, and i ask if its just a hybrid amp, as previously mentioned.
Page 1 of 2