Could someone explain to me the differences in tone in pickup magnets and the different magnets that are used in pickups? Sorry, if I appear daft in the subject.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Hmm, thanks for that bit of information, but I was wondering if there was anything more in-depth. Any help is much obliged.
Quote by Kensai
i think he might want which magnet is the best for each style of playing.... if thats what your after.... the hotter the better for metal... the alnico magnets produce a warm tone and are good for cleans.... so go from there.
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
well that is true but i meant for like the standard type of music.. ya know whatever is normally used in a guitar that is good for metal... and then the ones for blues...and the ones for rock.. ya know?

i understand that its subjective... but if you don't know anything about magnets and what are generally used where then you would be lost..... just saying... your right though..as with everything related to this it is subjective!
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
^yes they are.. i have them in a strat and they sound wonderful for the nice warm bluesy signs!
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
I'm not interested in what type of music each pickup is good for. It's more towards the tonality of the pickup and different magnets that would or even could be used. Such as those rare earth magnets, I haven't really heard much about those for pickup usage, of course it could be that I'm not looking in the right places.
Quote by Kensai
The tonality? Like, what each pickup would do to your tone? Yeah...that's all in that thread I posted. That thread covers the tone changes of verious magnets like Alnico II, Alnico V, Alnico IV and Ceramic...

Like Neodymium? Very few people use those. The various types of AlNiCo and Ceramic are the magnets normally used for pickups. Neodymium mags....They're really powerful. One guy I know uses 'em. rockmonkeyguitar.com
Alnico are pretty much what the old stuff pickups had. ceramics came in later. gibson/fender played around with different kinds of Alnico magnets, and discovered Alnico II had low output, with a really mellow sound (slash uses them). Alnico V had a balanced tone (?) which led to coming stock on many stratocasters. Ceramic had more magnetic pull, creating more output with lots of more high end treble, resulting in people calling it "too harsh" and guitarists seeking alnico magnet pickups. Samarium-Cobalt came later with the Fender noiseless stuff (i think).

neodymium magnets... uh... i dunno anything about it except for CorduroyEW using it for his humbuckers. like john said.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Allright then, thanks. Anyone know how neodymiums sound?
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Generalpwnt
Allright then, thanks. Anyone know how neodymiums sound?

Strong high end, tight bass, and scooped mids. Neodymium is conductive so it gives you "grit" like alnico does. This keeps the clean tone from sounding steril. If a Neodymium pickup isn't hot enough then the mids will be too scooped and you will have a very thin sounding pickup. Neodymium pickups should be hot and depending on the type of music you want to play, sometimes they need to have extra steel added to the pickup to raise the inductance and smooth out the tone. Clean Neodymium lest off an acoustic vibe but you can make it sound like a clean electric by rolling back the tone knob a bit. Dirty Neodymium sounds tight, clear, cutting, defined, with quick attack, great harmonics, and reasonable sustain. The problem (if you can call it a problem) with neodymium is that it is very VERY open so many people find that they need an amp that compresses, like a mesa boogie or a marshall DSL or they need a compression pedal. If you wind the pickup hot enough then you can get the pickup to compress it's self but you are looking at 20K or more which makes for a freaking hot pickup that is difficult to use clean.

Here are soundclips of a 12K neobucker in the neck of an RG played through a fender amp. All but the last clip have 0 FX. They are just the guitar plugged into a vintage amp.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Nov 4, 2007,