Hey all i relly want to learn to shred but need some help just asking for some pointers, techniques or tips on shreding tyanks all.
I know my penotonics but not relly the modes, and i want to as fast as i can.
Last edited by insane_asylum at Oct 29, 2007,
You have to be more specific... Learn EVERYTHING about shredding? How long have you played for? How fast are you going to go? like Metallica, or faster/slower?
uhh, learn pentatonics, and the modes all up and down the guitar, jam with a metronome constantly, play up and down scales incessantly with a metronome making small speed increases as you go, practice like nuts!
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by Links 2 3 4
You have to be more specific... Learn EVERYTHING about shredding? How long have you played for? How fast are you going to go? like Metallica, or faster/slower?

Did you just call Metallica...shred?
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
yeah i wanna get john petruccci good.. so i practise my scales constantly with and without a metronome... that and just picking 1-2-3-4 on each string up and down the neck slow then fast helps improve my finger quickness
shred like dragonforce, even though its way easy. play 3 different notes like 3 times each at like 180 bpm, then random pick harmonic like 2 strings up,it impresses those clueless to guitar muscianship...
Do you really need Pentatonic and stuff? I was just learning the modes (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian), but focusing on Ionian and Locrian. And using a metronome, of course. Fastest I can play is just eighth notes at 180 BPM. (I can play all of Children of Bodom's Touch Like Angel of Death's lead sans solo)
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
shred like dragonforce, even though its way easy. play 3 different notes like 3 times each at like 180 bpm, then random pick harmonic like 2 strings up,it impresses those clueless to guitar muscianship...

I wouldn't consider Dragonforce shread, just sweeping.
Quote by TSelman
I wouldn't consider Dragonforce shread, just sweeping.

sloppy sweeping
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by jpgilbert701
sloppy sweeping

Agreed.
DragonForce are great. Not bad at all!
Im pretty sure UG have a whole MILLIONS of lessons about shred. You should go and search!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Links 2 3 4

you're kidding....right?
gtfo newb.

the day that Metallica is shred is the day that Cannibal Corpse is pop rock.
kirk hammett is a great guitarist...i respect him even tho I dont listen to him often.

he def. can shred damn good!
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
you're kidding....right?
gtfo newb.

the day that Metallica is shred is the day that Cannibal Corpse is pop rock.

He used it as an example, ya silly numpty. Just to see if he's faster or slower than Kirk.
Quote by TSelman
Did you just call Metallica...shred?

I can recall times (albums lol) when they once were ,,,,, how times change eh
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC