Advanced Algebra w/ Trig sucks.

I have to solve these Augmented matrices by hand, and show all the work.

Its taking forever.

Damnit.

I'm on this:

4w + x + 2y - 3z = -11
-3w + 3x - y + 4z = 20
-w + 2x + 5y + z = -4
5w + 4x + 3y - z = -10

To be solved as an augmented matrix.
So it would look like this to solve:
[ 4 1 2 -3 | -11]
[-3 3 -1 4 | 20]
[-1 2 5 1 | -4 ]
[5 4 3 -1 | -10]

What a bitch.
Hah.

Anyone have an easier way to solve without just solving in graphing calculator or cancelling out variables by hand to equal the multiplicative matrix identity?
yea...
its called the back of the textbook
its awesome!

*results may vary*
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
we're on this exact thing right now.
not looking forward to doing the homework,
but i need to cause it's due in 9 hours.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
yea...
its called the back of the textbook
its awesome!

*results may vary*

It's not that easy when you get to higher level math, sure it may work while you're in your little algebra class, but just wait 'til you get to Trigonometry, that is if you ever do.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Haha, yeah, lucky for me, my math class is last period of the day, so I can finish this at lunch and go to bed now.

Woo.

Screw this, I'm stuck and I have the wrong answer for the "z" variable anyway. I just checked in calculator.
are you ****ting me, its just adding or taking a few rows, 5 minutes

try proving e^(iπ + 1 = 0
Haha, you poor souls have to do that in High School? I didn't have to do that crap until matrix algebra, 3rd year of college.

I don't think I can really help much though, as I paid very little attention in that class. Solving matrices was easy, in my opinion, but that didn't stop me for completely forgetting how to do them only half a year later.

You know all the rules for the allowed operations (if that's the correct terminology) you can use and such, right? I seem to remember that you can multiply a row by a number and add it to another row, in order to get it into solvable form (again, I can't remember the correct terminology).

God, I really need to start paying more attention in class. My Matrix algebra teacher would kick my ass if he knew that I struggled to remember the bare basics of the class only months later...
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Last edited by pyrochris at Oct 29, 2007,
row reduce is the easiest way of doing it

just get all 1's down the diagonal, then anything to the left of the diagonal should be a zero. then work backwards.

Not hard.. I agree with dale, that **** is hard
it doesnt take that long.... just row reduce it all. thats the only way to do it by hand lol
Quote by mr. cool
popapez fucking knows every thing from how to touch a girl right to how to speak spanish
Quote by Smokey Amp
Popapez can shred0rz the acoustic guitar
Quote by search49
In the Pit, generally only the things that popapez said were worthwhile. You're a goddess, darling.
Quote by edwardthegreat5
It's not that easy when you get to higher level math, sure it may work while you're in your little algebra class, but just wait 'til you get to Trigonometry, that is if you ever do.

ya cuz trig is definitely higher level... god forbid you memorize six functions and recycle them nonstop for an entire year!

and come on dude... you're having trouble with Augmented Matrices? if that takes you more than 5 minutes you need to seek help (from your teacher lol).

all you can do is row-reducing if it's by hand
oh yeah, I remember that time I quit engineering. Good luck with that.
Quote by H(i)SS
ya cuz trig is definitely higher level... god forbid you memorize six functions and recycle them nonstop for an entire year!

and come on dude... you're having trouble with Augmented Matrices? if that takes you more than 5 minutes you need to seek help (from your teacher lol).

all you can do is row-reducing if it's by hand

Never said it was hard for me, him on the other hand...
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
the problem with math is that the way it's taught doesn't cross over to some people well. I had no interest in it the first time through and my brain just didn't piece together the purpose of matrices at all, but then I became interested in physics and math and taught myself this crap in about 5 minutes. The problem is not that your not smart enough, it comes down to whether or not you give a crap about what you're learning. Even Einstein would not have been able to learn anything if he didn't care about it.