Suicidal Band Problems GALORE!! i feel like im in a soap opera here...

Page 1 of 2
Ok, im in a bit of a predicament and dont know what the **** to do.

a few months back me and a mate stated a comedy rock duo, like a mix between tenacious d and electric six. he sung and i played guitar and it was great. we made some awesome songs that were funny as and we were very popular in our region and lots of ppl loved us.

the we decided to move on and get a full band together so we pulled in another gtarist, and after discovering that the singer wasnt good at bass we looked for another bassist but the only one we could get was a guy who wasnt a bassist but like, a very good acoustic guitar player, but its the best we could do. and then we also got an AMAZING drummer to jam with us everynow and then and also record.

the thing is with this new band we started, im really the only musically talented one in the band. im the one who rights all the songs bcos im the only one that CAN write a good song. and so wen i bring the songs to practice, the second guitarist cant play anything that i tell him too, he is all over the place, and he cant write his own parts cos he sucks.

the bassist is a great musician, but only when he has a guitar in his hands.

now the singer, the guy who i started the band with, he really cant sing well at all. he has such a boring tone and has no sense of ryming or rhythm. for the comedy band it was ok, because the vocals didnt need to be great.

but now we've got this new band and things need to be taken seriously. Ive written some really awesome songs over the last few weeks, like great rock songs, especially for a 17 year old. and if i have a band that can play them like they are supposed to be played, and with ppl who are good at their instruments, i think we would have a good chance of making it big. esspecially when we start writing songs together.

so ive written some great songs and have a vision for a band that id like to be in. and i think i could go far with the right people. i don't want to waste this opportunity to make it in music, but if i take it to the band in the state it is in now, the songs wont reach their potential and a HUGE opportunity will be wasted.

One suggestion that i talked to the singer about was swapping the bassist and the second guitarist with each other. a move which the current second guitarist would not like one bit and would probably refuse to do. But to really take this band to the next step i would need to move the bassist to second guitar, get rid of the guitarist, and also get a new, great singer that suits our style, and a new talented bassist.

how the hell could i do that? me and the singer formed and started the band, and the second guitarist was the first to join. I cant kick them out. but if i dont, my chance to get into the music industry would be delayed. i just finished school and have many years till college so i can focus 100% on music.

do i start a new band with just the current bassist and the drummer? and put the bassist on second guitar and get some one to replace him and get a new singer? should i take my songs to that new band instead of my current one?

i really just dont wanna waste this opprtunity cos i feel like if im with the right ppl i can go places, but what the hell do i do??
the bassist is a good musician, but only if he has a guitar in his hands?

what's the problem?

you have a good bassist and drummer, you should consider yourself lucky.
Why do people insist on posting essays about the most mundane, pointless things?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Why do people insist on posting essays about the most mundane, pointless things?

its not pointless its a ****ed up situation i need to deal with.

i am lucky to have a great bassist/gtarist and drummer thats why im trying to **** the other two off, but they are good mates and will whine about it for years. esspecially kicking one of the foundes out of the band, even tho he sucks, its harsh.
most bands have 1 or maybe 2 people that write pretty much everything. The others just add their parts (drummer) and the bassist or guitarist just plays along...
option a: whinge like a little bitch and complain while walking on eggshells and hoping nothing happens

option b: tell the guys who aren't serious to get out, or at the very least give them a warning.
A partial solution: Just do the comedy rock thing with your singer, and then do whatever with the band.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Yeah, make a new band or something, this isn't really something you have to ask us about. I think most of us are in similar situations.
I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do, so I'll leave it up to you....

Are you Superbad???
at the end of the day.... band situations never really work themselves out. all you can do is work with what you have. if you really want the singer out, just **** his life up. that got rid of a few of ours. singers always are ****ing primadonnas in my experience, anything that has to do with them is far more important than the band itself.
yeah, i've got through some ****ed up **** with my band, and most of it never ended up resolved, and it probably never will. just have to live with it, as ****ty as it sounds.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
honestly its not that big of a problem. at least you found musicians. tell the guitarist who sucks to get out, see if the singer can do anything else or at least learn how to sing, and find a new bassist and tell the bassist to play guitar. If you're gonna be leading the band you gotta have the balls to do it. And if anything ask everyone else in the band about the singer so that way you don't seem like such a deuchebag to your friend. but hey if he can't sing, he can't sing, and he should know that hes not that great at it. oh and everyone has visions for songs but they rarely turn out the way you envision (unless you're the only musician), thats band practice and band life get used to it.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Kramer guy

I love your avatar
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Dude, I pretty much write all the material (about 95% of the bass and guitar parts as well as about 55% of the drums) for my band. It's nothing to worry about that you are writing the material. Trust me, the songs that I write are no 3 chord affairs, they are decent theoretical technical songs.

But anyway, it is no problem about writing your own stuff and having other people come to you if they have a nice riff that they came up with. The thing that you have to worry about is having a tight live set and practicing together.

Sometimes, the drummer and bassist in my band have trouble with the parts I write for them because I write beyond their skill level but you need to find their skill level for the moment and rise the level that you write slightly above what they are capable of, sort of make it a challenge to achieve that goal and when you do, it will be much more rewarding.

It gives them more incentive to practice it and if they are committed then it will be done in no time. My bassist is much the same as yours. I write a lot of his music which is no trouble and he is a brilliant bassist with a guitar in his hands but otherwise, he is not very skilled in terms of writing down things that he may come up with so I have to interpret what he is playing and write it essentially.

And also, you cannot go chopping and changing your band members when things get tough and they are not able to keep up with you rapid expansion because finding a new member that fits your description is very tough and can take you years. Keep it the way it is and try to improve the members. Encourage the singer to get lessons to expand his capabilities, if that doesn't work, there's really no choice. All I'm saying is, you should only cut band members when they are doing something wrong/ are far below skill level not because you want your idea of a perfect band to spring to life right in front of your eyes, it's something that has to be worked for.

Besides, who made you boss of the band mate?
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Well I should just break it to you I guess, it's not working now so the chances that you'll succeed are very small.
Also there's a limit to how much you can manipulate the people around you, it gets you a bit of a name you know. Your band is going to either fail within the next few months, or survive a little longer take a plunge in the deep and then find out you guys don't mix.

You because you're a primmadonna who wants things done your way, the bassist cause he's not a bassist and his talents obviously lie elswhere, the singer because he finds you a dick and might very likely not agree with your view and way of doing things and the drummer because he's of a dying species. The guitarist you ask? Well you see, guitarists are pretty much overpopulating the planet nowadaws and they have the tendency to think they're great when they obviously aren't. I've seen it a hundred times and the fact he's a 2nd guitarist won't change that.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
yeah FretboardAsh is 100% right about Guitarists. I mean, Ive met 16 year old kids that can shred shred shred. I mean, blow you away. But they cant find bands, when they do they dont work cause of inferior members. So basically, these guitar god 16yr olds are ****ed.

on the flipside, Ive met guys that can only tool around with chords on a guitar and sing their own original material over it and they make 2-3 grand a month in a touring successful band.

Its all about personal energy, motivation and mastering your OWN style.
im with you benny struggle, ive been playing gtar all my life, and although im no where near as good as i would like to be, i can play better than anyone i know that plays. the second gtarist is 22 but he is not a passionate gtarist, like me. gtar means so much to me.

thats why now, wen im quite confident in my song writing abillities and making my OWN style of music, i dont want it to go to waste by playing with ppl who arnt as passionate.

i want to find ppl who are jsut as entuhistic and whos styles work with mine to create something really unique that we are passionate about and enjoy playing.

it jsut seems like me and most of the other guys in the band arnt on the same page musically.

but now im at the stage that ive always dreamed of, im making song with my own sounds and i fell confident that i could make something that im really proud of with the right ppl.

i dont want ot get like famous or anything, but if i could just make music that im passionate about and ppl appreate it enough for me to live off for a while then im happy.

but isnt it every musicians dream to come to the point and say "holy ****, i think i have something here, this could be great"

thats where im at. and i dont want to waste this opprtunity
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Wow, you truly think the sun shines out your ass, don't you?

haha well put.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat thread starter is an arrogant twat
Quote by maca-venagas

i am lucky to have a great bassist/gtarist and drummer thats why im trying to **** the other two off, but they are good mates and will whine about it for years. esspecially kicking one of the foundes out of the band, even tho he sucks, its harsh.

fill the blank and win prizes! i choose "jerk".

seriously though, what's more important to you, your friends or the very slight and probably mistaken possibility that you might just make it big?
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by thera_x
thread starter is an arrogant twat
Could you repeat that please? I didn't quite understand the first time.

TS, just do what you want to do. Just be HONEST, and don't change the line-up with any gigs coming up soon. Bands change members all the time. Leave this one, and start a new band. Anyone who wants to join you, can.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Look tell the 2nd guitarist he must move to bass until he picks up his act, tell him if he can show you he is just as good as your bassist at guitar, then he can have his spot back. Keep your singer, I mean his a founder, your friend and well to tell the truth most rock bands dont have that great a singers anyway, and people get better at singing over time, just get him to keep the practice up. Anyway most bands only have 1 or 2 songwriters anyway... I mean most bands they just add in there part if they are a drummer or bass, but the guitarists are usualy told what to play (if they are not the songwriter). Anyway you sound like you need a reality check...
1. its very very unlikly you will make it as a number 1 artist or anything like that. The best any of us should hope for is a good reputation localy with local fans and enough money so we can live of our instrument...

2. These guys are your friends, I mean is making an attempt to "make it" worth the cost of people you care about, I assure you its not, id rather keep my friends any day over 'making it big' because in life its your friends that will give you the most happiness, not selling 10 million records to spotty teens..
i dont care about making it big, but as u said, earn enough just to live of......
even if i did make it big without them, id take them eveywhere, on tour, buy them eveything they wanted. even tho that wont happen, i have good intentions.

"oh so you have good intentions do you marge????
MY FAMILY CANT LIVE OFF YOUR GOOOOOD INTENTIONS!!!
YOU CANT REBUILD MY HOUSE WITH GOOOOD INTENTIONS"

lol i just want ot be fullfiled playing music. wen um writing songs, alone in my room, i do.

with my current band, we dont click as musicians, to the point where it hurts. if i keep going like this then i may be sick of music and guitar in a year or so. its my biggest passion, so u would all be thinking the same as me if u were in my position. i dont want to lose this passion of mine. im sure if u were all in a band that was making u hate guitar and music u would want to do something about it too.

so dont call me arrogant and everything, but dude, something needs to be done or i will never be able to look at a guitar again, bcos of the pain that it brings back of being in a room full of people that dont know what they are doing, and act like they do, and cant see that things arnt working.
it's okay, just give yourself a big hug, because you clearly love yourself.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Regardless of how talented you are. You shouldn't be in a band. And im not talkin in general im talkin to the thread starter. Mabye if you started showing you band a bit of respect and showed them how you'd like them to play instead of badmouthing them you'd get somewhere. The saying "A bad workman always blames his tools" springs to mind. With the attitude you have at the minute you will never be famous.

Quote by maca-venagas

with my current band, we dont click as musicians, to the point where it hurts. if i keep going like this then i may be sick of music and guitar in a year or so. its my biggest passion, so u would all be thinking the same as me if u were in my position. i dont want to lose this passion of mine. im sure if u were all in a band that was making u hate guitar and music u would want to do something about it too.

so dont call me arrogant and everything, but dude, something needs to be done or i will never be able to look at a guitar again, bcos of the pain that it brings back of being in a room full of people that dont know what they are doing, and act like they do, and cant see that things arnt working.

If guitar is your real passion then why are you so centered around being famous? Mabye you should just concentrate on your guitar and stop with the dramatics.
Last edited by maell at Oct 29, 2007,
i already said that i dont want to be famous, i just want to make music that im proud of. and i just wish that we could get together as a band and just play together naturally, but it doesnt happen.
i just wish i could turn up at practice and just play my guitar, but instead i have to deal with all this political crap, like band members fighting and choosing wat songs to play, its not just me that squabbles, it the whole band that argues between themselves, and they come to me to sort it out for them.

also when the singer says "maca, lets make songs that ppl will like. what do u think eveyone will like these days?"

i get angry, and i say "no, i just want to make good music that we like, wether we get an audience or not is besides the point, what matters is that we make something were proud of. not something that will make us money but is boring as **** to play and is musically disgusting."

i wish i could just focus on gtar, but being a band leader means u need to do deal with crao like this too
So what if your the only songwriter. Its better for you because you have more freedom in the band.
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
you sound like an arrogant kid who always thinks he knows it better and rubs in every mistake someone ever makes but get's violent when someone critises him for making a mistake

with your attitude you won't ever be able to become famous because other well talented musicians won't take that sh*t from you and probably quit the band or kick you out of it
Quote by big duck
You are so going to hell, but that is hilarious.

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
Quote by M0ly
you sound like an arrogant kid who always thinks he knows it better and rubs in every mistake someone ever makes but get's violent when someone critises him for making a mistake

with your attitude you won't ever be able to become famous because other well talented musicians won't take that sh*t from you and probably quit the band or kick you out of it

umm they have been playin their intruments <bar the drummer, but hes not really in the band, just for recording and some jams> for less than a year.

im a life long gtarist. yea, i think i know better, but i dont shove it down their throats, i like to teach them everything ive learnt.

i dont LIKE to tell evryone what to do, i hate being the leader, i wish i could just focus soley on playing gtar, but if i DIDNT tell them what do, the band would be no where, and with no original music to our name.

so as a life long gtarist in a band full of newbies, i need to kinda coach them, and and show them what i know, and its not like im being a dictator and tellling them its my way or the highway, i just give them advice where i can and try to shape a musical direction for the band, and the more i help them the faster they will become better musicians.

is anyone else with me here? is there anyone who can see my point of view and is willing to not call me an arrogant guy who thinks he is the best there is and wants to get famous? most of u are misiing the point and not listening to me.
Quote by maca-venagas
i dont care about making it big, but as u said, earn enough just to live of......

chances are it wont happen. chances are, with your attitude your band will collapse after a couple of gigs, and if you are lucky you'll make about 100 quid. then chances are future bands will collapse because you are a 17 year old prima donna who thinks they are the bollocks.

just make music.
if the bandmembers genuinely dont make the music you want to make, find another band and stop being a dick about it.
poser.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
basically what thera_X said, dude get over yourself and force them to write with you, or write together. How about why won;t you play bass drums, bothe guitars and sing it, You could become a black metal "band"

Quote by maca-venagas
also if i was with other talented musicians i wouldnt be having these problems

come one hot shot lets hear your amazing rock songs. You probably sound like every other band in the world with 3 powerchords and bluesy lead somewhere. You think you're a pioneer of talented musicianship. get over yourself. They probably jam without you because you impose your will on them.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Everyone keeps ripping into the threadstarter, but I think I know where he's coming from. Perhaps he does slightly reek of arrogance, but if you want to make it in the music industry you can't settle for something that's not working for you at base level. In my opinion, you have three options:

1 (the simple option). Start a new band, a side project with the 'better' muscians from your current band.
2 (the indifferent option). Jam with new muscians. Find out who you click with, and start a project with them
3 (the hard working option). Work at it with the people you have. Having friends in the band is an asset, especially through the hard times. Would you rather be in a band with people you know well and like, or a band with greater muscians, who you don't really get on with? Put the hours in with regular practices and it will come.
hey btw way mathamology, i love your ur mcr tabs. lol no one else in the band likes mcr so we cant cover them which is a shame lol

but yeah i agree, u cant settle for third best in the music industry.
esspecially these days, u need to best the best u can be. if u have confidence in urself, then u need confidence in ur band, then if u have that you can start making music that the whole band gets along with.

but i dont have confidence in the band im in now, so therefore the whole band suffers. the other gtarist doesnt even have an amp for gods sake. thats how passionate he is.

but yeah these days u need to strive to be the best musican u can be, and that comes firstly from confidence in ur self. maybe i sound arrogant, but maybe u guys will to when u reach the stage when u really are proud of the music ur making and that feeliong of " all these years of practice have paid off"

but to get myself to be content with my abbilities, i had to be hard on myself at the start, and do things sometimes i didnt want to do, but knew would make me a better player in the end.

its the same thing with a band. u cant just cruise through easily. it takes a lot of hard work. and atm, me and the drummer are th only ones working at all.
THE SINGER WONT EVEN COME UP WITH LYRICS FOR GOD SAKES!!
so really when starting out as a gtar player, or a band, u need to put in the hard yards for it to pay off..

does anyone get me here?
Quote by maca-venagas
THE SINGER WONT EVEN COME UP WITH LYRICS FOR GOD SAKES!!

a lot of singers don't write their own lyrics.
^^ yeah but this is just out of sheer lazyness. plus wen we started the band he said he wanted to write all the lyrics and we all said that was fine. now after we write some songs he doesnt bother. he sits there a practice eating fried chicken until we do a cover.
Quote by maca-venagas

You said it. YOU need to deal with it.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by maca-venagas
^^ yeah but this is just out of sheer lazyness. plus wen we started the band he said he wanted to write all the lyrics and we all said that was fine. now after we write some songs he doesnt bother. he sits there a practice eating fried chicken until we do a cover.

ok let me try to understand your problem...

your singer and other guitarist suck but your bassist and drummer are awesome.

kick out the singer and guitarist. problem solved.
thats what im going to have to do. problem is the singer co founded the band with me. so he wont be to happy. plus our songs are only meant for one gtar. plus the bassist is a better gtarist than the 2nd gtarist and a better singer than the singer. hes also more attractive (so ive been told) and plays acoustic way better than me. so its what im going to do. but im gunna get a lot of **** from the singer. im mean a lot.

ahh it doesnt matter, he is asian lol
Page 1 of 2