hey, i recently bought a vintage hofner archtop acoustic off some guy and i really love it. the only thing i really want to do is install a pickup into it so i can use it as an electric for gigs. im thinking either p 90 or something similar with the dogears. does anyone have any suggestions for pickups?

also ive heard that installing electric pickups into deep archtops can make alot of feedback at high volumes. it is meant to be an acoustic guitar so it is completely hollow unlike a model like the es335(i dont know if the resonation has something to do with it.) ive also been told it would give a sound similar to a gibson es150 (which im going to try out this week)

im just wondering if anyone else has done something like this to a similar model archtop and if so what they used and how they liked the result. any advice or comments is appreciated. ps: these pics are pretty similar to the actual guitar (notice the depth)

thanks alot, dave
Attachments:
w455-total.jpg
w4550-2.jpg
I really wouldn't do that - chancs are it'll feedback something chronic, also you'll be ruining an old guitar...there's an ethical reason to not do it right there, but if you're a more practical kind of guy then you'll wipe out any resale value it'll ever have.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ht666
Don't go it man, it'll ruin the guitar.

Yup, people used to install pickups on guitars like that, when they were NEW, but that was because there were hardly any electrics around. You'd be insane to do something like that to a vintage guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i can already tell that ill never sell it. i love it. i just want to use it as an electric for gigs. im also entertaining the idea of on of those archtop bridges with the built in pickups

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shadow-Arch-Top-Guitar-Ebony-Bridge-with-Piezo-Pickup-?sku=300158

im thinking that maybe because it isnt installed into the body it wont feedback as much from the vibrations and it wont "ruin" the guitar.

thanks for the input though, dave
As soon as you start drilling holes in it it's worthless - same goes for changing the bridge. From a practical point of view, those guitars simply aren't built with amplification in mind. It'll be way too prone to feedback to be of any use for modern styles, piezos are even worse because they work by picking up the vibrations directly rather than through electromagnetic induction.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

damn eh?

well then. i guess my plan is foiled. i still might try out the bridge pickup idea as i dont need to drill holes in it. i dont care about the money if theres a chance i can get this to work.
There were pickups made which attached directly to the pickguard. If you could, I dunno, find another pickguard (so as not to destroy the original one) or cut yourself a new one and put a pickup onto that, you may have something.

Just stuff a shirt or a towel in the body to cut down on the feedback and you should be okay.

Still, I would just leave it as is. That's probably worth a lot of money there......
just go for a little stick on piezo pup
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD