Alrighty, this time the gear isn't about me! I'm helping a friend decide which gear to get, guitar/amp.

He has two choices, either spend about 600-900 $ total on an AMP and guitar fairly soon, or save a lot longer (half a year or so) and get a 1k $ guitar and AMP. Now, just like me, he's a beginner. We both have acoustics (though admitedly mine is better than his) and he really wants an electric. I told him to get an Epi LP-100 and some combo SS amp for around 300 dollars.

He isn't sure at all, so...any suggestions?
Mostly metaly stuff, but we try to play anything we can together. We like to make stuff up a lot with random chord progressions but again, we both practice a lot of metallica stuff and hope to move on to Megadeth (tis' harder).

As it stands now, neither of us can practice solos as we both have 14 fret (well there's more but they're hard as a bithc to reach) acoustics. I told him we could just practice modes and scales and when we get electrics we'll learn the solos but he insists on getting an electric. Should I just keep hammering my idea into him or what?
Maybe a Yamaha Pacifica, if he likes Strats, for $200 USD. I would suggest he save the money on the guitar (I know, it's tempting to spend all the money on the guitar), and have enough left over to spend the rest on a decent tube combo amp.

Maybe something like an all-tube, Peavey ValveKing 212 combo for $620 USD (certainly, there are many others to choose from in that price range). I think he'll be happier that way. I would stay away from any of the solid-state, "modeling," or "hybrid" amps. Most here would agree, that only all-tube amps give that really sweet sound. So, for $820 USD total, he'd have a pretty decent guitar, and a VERY good, all-tube amp.

Actually, the ValveKing is probably overkill for him. I would definitely give the new Crate V Series V18-112 18-Watt combo a try when it comes out. It's part of Crate's new, all-tube product line-up, and retails for $399 USD. Then instead of the Pacifica, he could buy a Fender Standard HSS Strat (made in Mexico) for $399 (I kinda like Strats, as you may have noticed) and still be at only $800 total. Yeah, forget the ValveKing—way too much amp. Get an HSS and the Crate V18—that's quite a nice set-up, actually.

'Course, that's only my opinion . . .
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 29, 2007,
you don't do metal solos on an acoustic.
acoustics are nice sit down and relax guitars....whilst metal music is resisting the urge to throw your guitar into a wall after nailing a kickass half minute long solo

i'd say get

this guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783

and this amp http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG75G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480334

the amp will last you forever as it has excellent tone on BOTH the clean and overdrive channels.
the guitar will be great for using for your metal and soloing for a year, or until you would
like to upgrade.
it's only "Designed by EMG" pups, but they still wail like 'em

and that's only $700 so yeah.
id recommend you BOTH do this actually.
I was actually looking at that Ibanez for myself a little earlier. I'll pass it on to him as well. I'm gonna stick with just my acoustic and getting better at playing first before i get an electric methinks, but who knows, I have random mind changes towards guitars as of late.

I'll send him the links to that guitar and the amp. both looks olid, thanks for the help man (it was only you really...).

np man.

im gonna recommend you now to get an electric.
i started on an acoustic and was learning VEEEEEEEEEEERY slowly.
bought my first electric and amp (a piece of crap Sunrise strat copy and a squier micro combo w/ distortion pedal) and ended up getting better faster and faster.

id recommend you joining/creating a band as well (this is if you go electric)
there's no better learning experience like playing with a full band.

besides....cmon....acoustics aren't meant for metal....ew...
Oh **** I didn't see Level4's post, sorry about ditching you credit. That's actually an interesting alternative to the 399.99 Solid State one suggested above...
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
besides....cmon....acoustics aren't meant for metal....ew...

Hey hey hey, i love me acoustic. It's got a TON of sentimental value. Plus it has great tone suprisingly for the 200 $ it cost. Yay Yamaha?

On top of that, I don't ONLY play metal. I'm learning some nirvana and zeppelin and all that stuff.

Also, the acoustic is so much fun to play chords on.

Thanks though, for the advice that is.
that amp interests me as well.

im lookin to get a good practice amp and an all tube $400 combo? man...that's definately
a brain kicker.
the only thing that would keep me back is that all cheap crates tend to be low in versatility and crap out on you after awhile.
but hey...im gonna check this out.
Quote by CrushedCan
Hey hey hey, i love me acoustic. It's got a TON of sentimental value. Plus it has great tone suprisingly for the 200 $ it cost. Yay Yamaha?

On top of that, I don't ONLY play metal. I'm learning some nirvana and zeppelin and all that stuff.

Also, the acoustic is so much fun to play chords on.

Thanks though, for the advice that is.

heh, even then you'd still want to go electric.

i want an acoustic... i have alot of fun and get relaxed when im playin on acoustics
and speed play
fast riffs on acoustic to the ears = sex hehe