Page 1 of 2
Recently my friend asked me what grade of guitar I was
How do you find out what grade you are? Ive never done music education at school or what, I'm self taught all the way, my theory is pretty good now and my guitar abilities and technique are also average now.

Anyone know any sites that can tell ?
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
wtf? grade? he probably refers to grade in music schools, theres no such grade to evaluate a guitarists skills
^Yes there is.

It's the same thing, only it does cover plenty of theory as well as the actual practice of playing the guitar.

There are books for each grade. You could buy or borrow one and see how much of it youre already familiar with.
There are guitar exams, (going from grade 1-8) which you can take to show your ability on the guitar. I'm taking one in february at grade 4, and this'll be my first exam. I didn't start on grade 1, 2 etc because I thought it was pointless since I knew all of it and I need grade 4 to get into this certain college to do Music Technology.

In the UK, some of the main ones are the Rock School and RGT.

Hope that helps
i don t have the money thats why i asked if there were any sites
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Yeh, you will have to pay to have an exam.

About £30 I think on average for an exam.

It goes up the higher the grade your going for.

If you have a guitar teacher, he might be able to set you up with a "pratice" exam between the two of you. That'd give you a rough estimate.

Edit; oh yeah, you're self taught. erm... carry on.
Last edited by Tomaz24 at Oct 29, 2007,
dont waste money on ****ty exams to prove to other guys how tough you are, youd better find a good teacher if you really want to improve your guitar skills

Edit: as i said before these grades means nothing in REAL life
Rofl you are so misinformed dude.

Grades do mean a lot. Especially in classical music. Just watch out before running off your mouth.

The exams aren't ****ty. They aren't expensive. They make you improve, because it requires a lot of practice and study to prepare for one. You NEED a good teacher to pass them and the grades do mean, A LOT in life. With grade 8, you are basically qualified to teach music. With the grades you have it easier accessing certain music schools. Everything is easier when you have them. Especially when you go to higher level.

Things like that are needed, it's like language exams, like the french A1, A2, B1, B2 etc. A certain one of those puts you are a standard level which lets someone employing you know what your level at the same time you show them the certificate.

Remember, it's not like someone's old chummy chum from down the road made them up, they're official, they are standardized. You can tell someone I have so and so certificate from the Royal School grades. They will know what you are talking about.

It's also good practice, because preparing for an exams and then playing in front of someone (when I did mine in violin, it was just one man) can be very scary and the more you practice it the better.

In conclusion, TS, if you find a teacher, ask him about them, see if he can arrange you doing one, and most of all, have fun!

EDIT: check out this too. http://www.abrsm.org/?page=home

EDIT2: and this one! http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams/gradedMusicExams

EDIT3: http://www.abrsm.org/resources/guitarRegulations07.pdf <-- look at this too.
Last edited by confusius at Oct 29, 2007,
TS theres a specification on the RGT site given above and it tells you hwat you need to know for each grade, if you know everything and can play it comfaortably you can maybe assume you could pass that grade. And + 1 to confusius, although lower grades say premlinary - 3 or 4 don't really mater too much everything beyond there can get you into colleges, universitys etc.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

if youre a good player it ll be accomplished without undergoing any exam. these certificates might matter when you have to prove your skills for a job as a teacher or else, but one could be the most amazing musician on earth while having never heard of "grades", and thats how it goes
Anyone know whats covered in each exam? Never mind I found confusius's links.

And does anyone know what songs are expected for each level of the exams? Like my friends was saying, "wow that piano piece is grade 7." Surely theres an equilivant to classical guitar, Isn't there?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Oct 30, 2007,
It really depends on who runs the exam. Just look at the various websites and it tells you on there.

Doing grades 6 and above is really worth it if you're still at school and want to go to university because it contributes to your UCAS points.

Quote by demonofthenight
And does anyone know what songs are expected for each level of the exams? Like my friends was saying, "wow that piano piece is grade 7." Surely theres an equilivant to classical guitar, Isn't there?

Each board has a set of specified songs to learn, so maybe try to find one of these books and have a look how hard it is. If you've seen the grades for a while it's pretty easy to tell roughly what level it is.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by sinan90
Doing grades 6 and above is really worth it if you're still at school and want to go to university because it contributes to your UCAS points.
Sadly that would seem impossible for me. Judging from the website, you can only do 1 level each year, and as I'm 2 years away from finishing school...

Is there a way you can do more than one exam level a year?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Sadly that would seem impossible for me. Judging from the website, you can only do 1 level each year, and as I'm 2 years away from finishing school...

Is there a way you can do more than one exam level a year?

You don't have to do all the previous grades to do higher grades, eg you could just do the grade 8 exam and nothing else. Although if you're looking at ABRSM exams above grade 5 you need grade 5 theory as well.

There's 3 exam periods per year, so I think if you work really hard at the pieces you can do more than one exam, but I've never personally done that.
Founder of Jaco society

Last edited by sinan90 at Oct 30, 2007,
Don't get hung up on grades.

I passed Grade 6 theory with merit, but still can't read music.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
keep in mind there might not be grades in the country you live in. Here in the USA for example there are no grades.

edit: nvm his profile says he lives in the UK.
Last edited by Spamwise at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by happy-and-lost
Don't get hung up on grades.

I passed Grade 6 theory with merit, but still can't read music.

How did you do that?
Quote by confusius

How did you do that?

Rockschool probs. That's tab + notation.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by -Vogel-

Theres a line fo notation and below is the notation in tab form.
Founder of Jaco society

Grade 5 of the RGT also gets you UCAS points I think, not many, only about 40 but still...

I personally prefer RGT over the others as it gives a more balenced background I think, from it you can diverge into anything, jazz, rock, classical and pop. It doesn't require you to learn certain songs and the exam tests everything from scales, chords, improvising, knowlage of hte instruemnt and some theory although not alot. And theres no requirement to read music I dont think... I think ABRSM is more classicaly based so doesn't have the flexability of RGT, but is obviously great if you want to focus on classical!
Quote by cakemonster91

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

these grades are usless. I havn't needed them for any guitar teaching jobs or to get accepted in uni. they look at how detacated you are to music and what you can do and so on. never once have I experanced a 'oh my you don't have your grade one, must mean your not very good.' so in other words there very much usless.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by cta-joey
these grades are usless. I havn't needed them for any guitar teaching jobs or to get accepted in uni. they look at how detacated you are to music and what you can do and so on. never once have I experanced a 'oh my you don't have your grade one, must mean your not very good.' so in other words there very much usless.

Did you even read Confusius's post? He's not saying you need them, he said there a massive help, and they are, a grade 8 is worth 120 UCAS points, thats equivalent to an A at A level I think.
Quote by cakemonster91

Quote by Peanut1614
Did you even read Confusius's post? He's not saying you need them, he said there a massive help, and they are, a grade 8 is worth 120 UCAS points, thats equivalent to an A at A level I think.

Grade 8 distinction is worth 75 points. And grade 5 isn't counted at all in reference to your earlier post.

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/#music all there.
Founder of Jaco society

oh god think aboiut what yr saying men MUSIC AINT ABOUT GRADES !!!!!! JEEESSH u guys missed the 60s, its all about creativity use some theory but jeesh who needs a grade to feel important ps u dont need a guitar teacher pple should stopp saying that (probly guitar teachers wishing they had more students lol) out of all my freinds who play guitar the worst ones all took lessons...
No music isn't about grades, neither is it about money, but when you can sue a skill you have to improve your chances in life somehow isn't it worth using? Eg use grades to improve university entrance chances or use it to earn some money etc.
Founder of Jaco society

If you want to make it in the music industry having studied it at degree level is very important. If you havent got the grades to get into a music course at uni then youre screwed.

The chances of making it in a band are minimal. I bet there are 1000 jobs in the music industry to each band that makes it into a professional standard (being able to live off your earnings).

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by natedapunk
hah but musics always represented pple who dont want to follow a normal path

No it hasn't, look at the families of musicians in the 17-1800s, father taught son, who then taught his son and so on. Music was a normal part of life. Music as a whole doesn't represent specific people or the paths they choose in life, certain genres might suggest that to you. I really don't see how the whole art of music represents people who don't want to follow the "normal" path. I'm sure there's hundreds upon thousands of people who have no involvement with music whatsoever, and don't lead "normal" paths.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
Grade 8 distinction is worth 75 points. And grade 5 isn't counted at all in reference to your earlier post.

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/#music all there.

Ah well

7 Points shown are for ABRSM, Guildhall, LCM, Rockschool and Trinity examinations.

Is LCM related to the RGT?
Quote by cakemonster91

so grades dont matter over here in the US??
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
to confusius: i do agree with you to an extent, you can definately tell a grade 8 guitarist from someone who's never gone to school for it. but at the same time there are so many people that are inherently good without knowing a lot of technical information (they know "this note and this note sound good like this" which is how i was for a long time. i knew the notes but i didn't know the technicality of it behind it. i'm sure there are other people out there who are way better than me and probably have the same mindframe. that being said i think if you can let the music speak for itself (ie be decent) then you can let someone else make up their mind (although a degree is really the icing on the cake)
yah but i mean rock not classical composers..... for me i would never want thing i love to become some **** job i hate u know i just wanna write songs and jam with pple anything else is evil lol
so you wouldnt want your job to be spreading the magic of playing guitar to people who really want to learn?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
is this just for the UK???because if it's in the US how come i've never heard of it??(probably because i don't take lessons).but i really want to take it,i want to get into uni
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
I know RGT is international, not sure if thats just for Europe or US as well. Do some research yourself and find out would be my advice. Remember, google is your friend.
Quote by cakemonster91

Quote by pa3k_2414
is this just for the UK???because if it's in the US how come i've never heard of it??(probably because i don't take lessons).but i really want to take it,i want to get into uni

it's not US.
Page 1 of 2