Hi,

I'm looking into upgrading the bridge humbucker on my Epiphone les paul standard. I quite like to tone you can get from a Seymour duncan SH-8 invader, but I've heard this pickup can get quite muddy. I know very little about pickups so please try to explain it in dummies speak

My budget is about £60 tops as i'm pennyless after buying my car I use a Vox valvetronix amp right now, and i'm happy with it for the while.

I play pop-punk rock like Blink 182 sort of tone, and Classic rock like Led zeppelin. I like plenty of bite and attack, cleans aren't essential but it would be a bonus if it had nice clean tone. I don't want it to sound overly treble, i'd like it with a bit of punch.

I'm clueless!
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
erm if your looking for punch maybe the emg 81?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
I've recently installed an invader into my ibanez RG, and it has no treble whatsoever. this means that there is nothing to cut through the mix when you're playing solos, although I must admit that powerchords sound awesome. in your les paul it would probably sound even darker. I don't think it's really suitable for classic rock either.

I think for the 'bite and attack' you're going to need a fair bit of treble, just nothing overly shrill. this shouldn't be a problem with a les paul tho. I'd maybe go for the SH-4 if you want a Seymour Duncan, or a Dimarzio Breed... I've got one in my Ibanez S series and it's a great all-round distortion pickup, doing metal, punk, hardcore, and the classic rock thing. the cleans aren't great, but that's why you've got a neck pickup
Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon or JB. The JB has some cleans as well as great on the heavies, whereas the Demon has some bite to it.
None of the above - for starters they're all over budget.

Invader = wank
EMG 81 = not what he asked for at all, also trying to mix actives and passives is a ballache
Breed = great, but too pricey
JB = meh, plus squealy trebly
Screamin Demon = good, but a bit too shreddy

Best bet for what you want is probably a Swineshead Warthog, or if you want to do both pickups look at the Irongear Steamhammer, with maybe a Rolling Mill in the neck

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
None of the above - for starters they're all over budget.

Invader = wank
EMG 81 = not what he asked for at all, also trying to mix actives and passives is a ballache
Breed = great, but too pricey
JB = meh, plus squealy trebly
Screamin Demon = good, but a bit too shreddy

Best bet for what you want is probably a Swineshead Warthog, or if you want to do both pickups look at the Irongear Steamhammer, with maybe a Rolling Mill in the neck

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

+1

SDs are pretty overpriced on your side of the pond.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
check out the SD JB. it has great clarity.

I'm sure some people can also recommend some DiMarzio pups. but I haven't had any experience with them. but Satch and Vai use them, and there sound is anything BUT muddy.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
After some research I reckon I might go for the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom. It's recommended on the tone wizard and I really like the example on the website. Cleans aren't crap either, which was a bit of a worry on the invader.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Okay, so i don't want to make a new thread for the same question so i'm gonna post here.

Would a first act humbucker be an improvement over the bridge p-up (single coil) on the Starcaster (Costo guitar) from a couple years ago? I'm not a noob, but i'm customizing my old guitar with a Floyd and a new body and i wanted a humbucker in the bridge. my friend said he has an old First Act with a humbucker and i was wondering if it would sound decent. I'm guessing it would have a higher output and i want the humbucker sound but is it really better?

Oh, and the humbucker is the only p-up on the First Act. And if you can recommend any cheap humbuckers, i'd appreciate it.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
check out the SD JB. it has great clarity.

I'm sure some people can also recommend some DiMarzio pups. but I haven't had any experience with them. but Satch and Vai use them, and there sound is anything BUT muddy.

DiMarzio make it much easier to hear mistakes though....That's why Satch, Vai and Buckethead use them.....Because they don't make mistakes...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls