Poll: How Do You Plan To Become a Pro?
Poll Options
View poll results: How Do You Plan To Become a Pro?
I am taking lesson on music business from a teacher who is a successful pro and follwing his advice.
73 13%
I am playing a lot of shows with my band and trying to attract the attention of a record company.
172 30%
I will record and release records independently and sell them around the world.
127 22%
I plan on building or expanding my teaching career.
64 11%
I am going to become a studio musician or a session player.
95 16%
Other (explain in thread)
66 11%
I am already a professional musician.
35 6%
I have no idea what I should do, but I would really like to learn!!!
163 28%
I am not interested in a music career.
148 26%
Voters: 578.
Page 1 of 4
what are your plans to make it as a pro guitar player? i mean, what steps are you taking (or will take) develop some kind of career? (vote in the poll and write your responses in this thread cuz i need all the help i can get.

i read here about a musician mentor program for guys wanting a music career. is anybody else here a member of the online music careers mentoring class taught by tom hess? i started a thread about trying to break into the music scene and i was referred to this mentoring program by somebody. it seems really cool and promising and students all over the world can join. but does anyone know if it is as good as everyone tells me it is?

this is the thing I am talking about: http://www.tomhess.net/MusicCareer.aspx

i've read some articles by hess that he has on music business on this site and decided to give the program a try. i've searched for something like this in the past but this is the only one i could find that seems to really go into great depth about a lot of different things. i just applied for his class and waiting to see if he will let me in.

but anyways i really just want to knaow what other things people are doing to get their careers started so check out the poll. thanks!
Last edited by shreddyboy at Aug 6, 2008,
I'm taking no steps whatsoever towards a career at the moment. I should sort my life out.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
I'm going to college for some sort of music course, not sure which one yet...and then hopefully getting lots of gigs that give me some sort of income
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
i smoke alot of pot alot and play guitar
still not famous thou
yerp im sure ill add something amazing here some day.
Sleep my way to the top.

But after that I'll get serious.
I'm taking music courses starting next year, for about... 6 years, I think. First just music, the music production. Hopefully that's enough.
id love to be in a band but not many want girl singers and im quite shy so i dunno if im good enough. besides, i dont know anyone whos looking to start a band. and i dont have time. wow i dont have too much hope on the music scene right now!!
XD oh well il just play for fun
still, a band would be cool.
you are rad
rad
rad
so radical

Quote by Jaymz2K
Sleep my way to the top.

But after that I'll get serious.
I'm taking music courses starting next year, for about... 6 years, I think. First just music, the music production. Hopefully that's enough.

same except in NSW
nothing wrong with female singers. it all depends how your voice is.
yeah see i dunno. how are you sposed to know?? id hate to sing in front of people thinking i sound fine the sounding craappy. like ive seen some do before. thatd suck. so what do i do??
you are rad
rad
rad
so radical

you just have to try. especially to people you dont know, or friends that are honest. atleast then you will get the truth. where abouts in qld are you?
im just learning riffs i think sound cool and trying to incorporate them into my style of playing i am completely self taught
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

playing acoustic guitar at drunken dorm parties

if that leads my anywhere then...yay!
if not...thats why I'm at university
i don't think Ill ever have a carreer as a musician...not my kinda thing...eventhough I play 3 instruments, other things are just more interesting
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Ideally, playing with a band.

But we all know that'll never happen.

I'm not to bothered really, each direction that comes at you has it pros.
I intend to gain public interest by initially committing various sexual offences on young girls so that the media cannot ignore me. Once released from jail I shall write a biography about how I myself was abused as a child and that my crimes were merely an escape from reality. After this I shall start a band where I shall sing about my various hardships with a style similar to that of My Chemical Romance whilst building up a huge fanbase of 12 year old wannabes. Then during my final gig I shall mow them down in an inferno of burning hairspray and bullets before disembowling and raping the corpses.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
I intend to gain public interest by initially committing various sexual offences on young girls so that the media cannot ignore me. Once released from jail I shall write a biography about how I myself was abused as a child and that my crimes were merely an escape from reality. After this I shall start a band where I shall sing about my various hardships with a style similar to that of My Chemical Romance whilst building up a huge fanbase of 12 year old wannabes. Then during my final gig I shall mow them down in an inferno of burning hairspray and bullets before disembowling and raping the corpses.

Good lord.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by mcw00t

So... option 9?
I'm none of those, I really don't have to be famous with my playing. I like just playing for the sake of playing. I know that sounds like I'm a n00b or not a good player at all, but it's just something that I really don't have to have
I plan on practicing atleast a few hours every day until Im good enough to find a band, probly at the local guitar shop.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
I'm going to take a music technology BTEC in college, and either become an owner of a studio, of a music performance venue, or a session bassist. Or a combination of all three.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by mcb_69
still not famous thou

Post of the day.
plan on sleeping with agents cos there is no way I'm gonna become a pro with my abilities pmsl
Quote by mcb_69
still not famous thou

Thats worth sigging. Lets hope someday someone somewhere is walkin past and hears our stoned jammin' and hooks us up with a big record deal hahah.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by dinha soady
yeah see i dunno. how are you sposed to know?? id hate to sing in front of people thinking i sound fine the sounding craappy. like ive seen some do before. thatd suck. so what do i do??

...you should be able to tell if you sing in key or at least close to it...
I'm in the process of forming a new band and.. 'un-forming' my old When the new one starts going places, we will release an EP, which will be sent to any label we might have a chance with, and given out for free via our MySpace/in the street.

Eventually, we will get well known through word of mouth, people will like us because we gave them free stuff and we will hopefully get noticed by someone big, get famous and then all kill ourselves when we can't deal with the fame.

Well, that's what I want to do anyway.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
I'm going to college, so I can get a real job... and play on the side, **** being famous-- contracts, labels, rough touring schedules... it's not for me.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by Highbinder
Thats worth sigging. Lets hope someday someone somewhere is walkin past and hears our stoned jammin' and hooks us up with a big record deal hahah.

I sigged it before you, bastard!
I am going to become a studio musician or a session player.

Or just stay at the supermarket. Either's fine.
To not even try and just enjoy myself and not really give a flying fuck about if i'm a pro or no
Well, I've played in several bands. I'm in college intending in majoring in music, I'm looking for a band in the area, I'm recording solo stuff, but that has no real purpose. I know that the chances of being able to secure a career in performing are next to none, so I'm hoping to find a music related career plan here in college.
start teaching at the turn of the year, just beginner level to start with, work on my music theory and work it from there.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Session Player hopefully.

After Music College.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
I plan to record some stuff and send it to my uncle's friends record label which will fail probably So i play gigs in well known,smaller venues,hoping to get noticed.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by Archaon
I sigged it before you, bastard!

<3
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Page 1 of 4