its almost christmas.... and i eaither want to upgarde the guitar o have to something else... or upgrade my current amp.

I have a Marsahll AVT150 which is loud, though i saw this:

http://www.ombmusic.co.uk/Marshall%201960a.htm

and then thought.. an extra 300 watts?.. can't be bad, and i could have more power and more loudness etc, useful for any future use of gigging

or

i have a yamaha erg-121. 2 n half years old and has a few problems with it though has been a good guitar from starting out.. though i wanna get something new, and better. I was thinking a BC rich mockingbird nj classic series..

both amp and guitar cost the same ish, guitar slightly more i think though i wondered what you would do if you was me, as i can't make up my mind
The sex offenders register.. personally, i don't even think they should be in school.
That cab won't give you an extra 300 watts of power. That's what it can handle. It will make your amp louder because there are more speakers but, to be honest, your amp isn't that good to begin with. Getting an extension cab for it just wouldn't be worth it. You would be much better off selling your AVT and looking into a nice valve amp.

As long as your guitars are in playable condition, you should look at getting a new amp first because that accounts for a bigger part of your tone.

What sort of music do you play, and what is your budget?
I play punk rock/rock/metal/soft rock? i like to play a variety of things

budget... i say around £500
The sex offenders register.. personally, i don't even think they should be in school.
You might be able to get all those tones from a Randall RG50TC combo. I'm not sure how it would do softer styles, but it's good for hard rock, metal and punk, I guess. Another thing to look out for would be a used Marshall JCM800 combo on eBay and maybe a pedal to push it for metal. Also, if you don't need a good clean tone, you could try a Peavey Windsor, though it's only available as a 100 watt head (at the moment) and you'd need an extension cab with it.

Edit:

Quote by Guitarmike123

Or that.
Last edited by Denthúl at Oct 29, 2007,
the erg 121 is crap, go buy a new guitar
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Quote by DimeDarrell666
the erg 121 is crap, go buy a new guitar

He will benefit more from buying a new amp.
not necessarily
to be honest the setup he has is ok
id normally say amp first then axe
in this case id say guitar and maybe a boss gt6
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
avt is not a bad amp though... and since his guitar has problems wouldnt then he should be buying a new a guitar :S
The guitar works fine.. its lasted me 2 n half years and i think im good enough to upgrade to more better quality etc. the only problems is the input jack is lose.. held on by selotape :P and the switch to change pickups doesn't work sometimes so i have to fiddle with it until a connection is made, though it does work afterwards..

right now i think i have a good tone for my equipment.. and beings as im not that much of an experience player.. i have videos on youtube of the sort of tone i use.. i can supply if anyone is interested
if your yamaha is indeed in poor condition, then go for the mockingbird (which i might add is a very nice guitar for the money) keep saving up and then you can get round to a new amp later. the AVT is ok, you could have done better for the money but thats in the past, it has acceptable tone and since its 150 watt, should be ok for gigging without starting to clip loads

Depending on how quickly you can save the ENGL thunder as suggested is a good amp for you, or if you can save more the engl screamer, but the peavey valveking and peavey windsor studio are worth a look.

If however your guitar is still in a playable state that you dont get pissed off having to play, get the amp first. ENGL Thunderwould easily do everything you want. SHould come up to a total of £500 (the amp is £495 and you'll be charged a small bit of money by your bank/credit card for the currency version, only about £5 or so though)

edit: since you just saud you are happy with your tone, there is no need for a new amp, because you most likely won't notice a huge difference until you get to playing a lot of amps.

New guitar for you maybe a pup swap too (check out swineshead pick ups) if you want, the stock bc rich ones aren't the greatest. You could also look at the bc rich exotic classic mocking bird, better pups, but the NJ is better looking probably
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 29, 2007,
Ive heeard alot about, and seen musicians use 'duncan seymour' pick ups or something like that... if i get thismockingbird for christmas.. would it be a good idea to change the pick ups in it?.. i would do it for the guitar i have now but if i get he new one, iw ould use the new one as my primary guitar and would maybe get round to changing the picks up in my yamaha later

i know almost nothing about what pick ups can do what etc
maybe you should just stick to stock pups until you have a better ear for tone and know whats going on. don't worry about it. 3 years later and my ear for tone is only starting to develop
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD