just say which you think is best to learn with a band and experiences and see what peoples opions are
i say covers to get synched up and experiment with your own stuff on the side once you get some structure to it play it just my opinion
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

well, here's my two cents:

if you guys have never been a band before and are all basically n00bs, you should start with covers. When playing a cover, every band member has a frame of reference for what the song ought to sound like.

Once a person has played and heard enough covers, and is competent on their instrument, writing gets easier, because many of the basic formalities of songwriting are already established from all those covers you've been playing. It's easier to describe what you want to hear in your own song once you've learned how other songs are put together.

In terms of band success, there are three options:

1 - Be a cover band. You'll make steady, decent money in your own town or area, and audiences will love you if you can play well. However, that will be the height of your progress, band-wise. Cover bands have no national or record label appeal.

2 - Be an original band. This one is a gamble. If the people don't like your music, you will toil in obscurity and play shows to empty venues for years. But if your music is what people want to hear, you can advance your band beyond the local scene, and the sky is the limit int terms of money and fame, if you play your cards right.

3 - Be an original band that does a pop cover of an old song and gets a record deal out of it. This kind of band gets pretty famous pretty quick, but the audience doesn't respect their music, they just like the new twist on an old song, and once they get tired of it, your band is back home working at mcadonalds.
^wow thats depressing^ go original for a while then cover the pop song when your past local then?
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Doing covers helps everyone get familiar with each others playing style. They're good if your starting out, but you shouldn't be afraid to make original songs.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
ok, you need the band members to learn certain songs (covers) and then play them together, keep playing covers till you're good enough to work on your own songs, of course you can also jam to some homemade riffs and then write lyrics and put the vocals in, that'll help when the whole band needs to learn an actual original song, covers then originals...its the best way to do it, trust me
If you absolutely don't care about playing you're own music, play solid covers.

If you still want to write songs, I'd go for a cover/original ratio of about 3 to 4. That way, if they can't stand your originals, Sweet Child of Mine is just a few minutes away.
ive been in a band for about 6 months, we played originals.
and then i brought up the idea, that writing originals is a good idea, we all went for it and have written two originals. its heck fun to write originals and share ideas. but make sure they are structured properly.

first play covers to learn how each other works and the styles, and then start with originals when everyone is ready.
Play covers at first to sync everyone up then (if you want to be a real band ) write originals and work on your live performances ('cause thats how musicians really get paid)
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Start off with covers, then write some originals. At gigs try to throw in one or two covers just to get people to pay attention more, or get into your set.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by frigginjerk
well, here's my two cents:

if you guys have never been a band before and are all basically n00bs, you should start with covers. When playing a cover, every band member has a frame of reference for what the song ought to sound like.

Once a person has played and heard enough covers, and is competent on their instrument, writing gets easier, because many of the basic formalities of songwriting are already established from all those covers you've been playing. It's easier to describe what you want to hear in your own song once you've learned how other songs are put together.

In terms of band success, there are three options:

1 - Be a cover band. You'll make steady, decent money in your own town or area, and audiences will love you if you can play well. However, that will be the height of your progress, band-wise. Cover bands have no national or record label appeal.

2 - Be an original band. This one is a gamble. If the people don't like your music, you will toil in obscurity and play shows to empty venues for years. But if your music is what people want to hear, you can advance your band beyond the local scene, and the sky is the limit int terms of money and fame, if you play your cards right.

3 - Be an original band that does a pop cover of an old song and gets a record deal out of it. This kind of band gets pretty famous pretty quick, but the audience doesn't respect their music, they just like the new twist on an old song, and once they get tired of it, your band is back home working at mcadonalds.

Or be a cover band, you'll make steady decent money and your area will love you. When everyones coming to see you, get your best original you've been secrectly writing and throw it out there in the middle. Then everyone will ask for that song and bam.

Or always do a combo.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!