Hi guys,

I have 1.5 years experiences in acoustic and classical guitars. However, I have not learned the scales before hence I did some googling just now.

I am really confused. I feel that I am very dumb here
1. Major scale, minor pentatonic, blues? Are these scales?
2. If #1 is yes then what about Ionian Mode, Dorian Mode in https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423536&highlight=scales+tutorial

In addition, I also search youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK9m-q1kkO8

Most importantly, what is the use to learn this scale? Is it supposed to increase your accuracy and speed?

Thanks
David
the answer to questoin 1 is yes they are and modes are hard to explain but i would recommend the idiots guide to music theory it helped me alot another good thing would be to find some mode diagrams and hit a pedaltone and improvise within the mode to get an idea because all modes have like a different mood or feel to them a good book on scales and modes is the ultimate scale book by troy stetina its like 6.oo$ on amazon.com and the reason these are important to learn is so you can express yourself in different ways because i love pentatonics as much as the next guy but they will only get you so far good luck
Google "Why learn scales" and you'll get a good long-ass answer. Basically come down to improving knowledge of music and recognizing notes and scales so you can jam along. Also, different scales have different tones to them. Like a major scale tends to sound happy and a minor tends to sound sad. I think knowledge of the major scale would be most beneficial because it allows you to recognize chords and such. But do google it.
it will make it easier to exress you self on guitar, escpecially when you say ok sad song aeolian mode flamenco phyridgian dominant,etc. and when you and friends are jamming you can improvise good luck
Well, yeah it's beneficial to learn all this. I don't like to come of as a smartass but this is just kind of what gets your feet wet in the realm of theory. It's beneficial almost, if you ask me.

To answer your first question, yes. I prefer to refer to them as keys, because scales sound boxed to me. Each goes by it's own formula, major being W-W-H-W-W-W-H, minor being W-H-W-W-H-W-W, and minor pentatonic being the root of your scale, R, a b 3rd, 4th, 5th, and a b seventh. So it ends up, 1, b3, 4, 5, b7. W stands for whole step, H for half. All of your notes have respected sharps except B and E. Starting from the note of the scale and up, and the numbers are the intervals of that scale. The 1 interval in C# would be C# for example.

To answer your second, modes are scales/keys, yes. They are alterations of scales, in a sense. In the key of C, we have C D E F G A B C. In the Dorian mode, your center is D, so you start off at D. It goes, D E F G A B C D. This is unlike the KEY of D where it is D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D. Your key with the sharps encompass the key of D major, where D Dorian starts on D with no sharps Ionian is major though, and Aeolian is minor. They're just fancy names.

The benefit? Well, it helps you know what you're doing, and then you've got the benefit of being able to communicate musically. Plus it will drastically improve your guitar playing and general knowledge of the instrument as it as played.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Last edited by Cied Shredder at Oct 29, 2007,