Page 1 of 3
Hey guys! Im Jonathan. Something that has bothered me for ages is the fact that so many famous guitarists are named the greatest yet I don't see why. Jimi Hendrix was great but compare him to todays guitarists and he is merely just another dude that could play some stuff. I think that there are people out there that can play way better than the popular guitarists but they just don't get the recognition that they deserve. Where do we draw the line between saying that guy is good because his stuff is popular or saying that guy is good because he knows how to play the @$#@ out of a guitar? I'd like to hear your guys opinions on that thanks !
that is not correct, jimi hendrix was unreal......no one did that before him..........if you havent seen any live jimi hendrix then you don't know how good the guys is.......pick your favorite new guitarist and he doesnt compare
Search before you post.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
You can't compare guitarists 40 years ago to todays guitarists. Do you compare Pele to Messi in football? If they were in the same game Pele wouldn't be on the field. But still he is one of the best isn't he? Things evolve, techniques, guitars etc. The guitarists today have learned from Hendrix etc, the next generation will be even better. But you have to compare Hendrix to what was on then.
For me, Hendrix will forever be the best.
the line is drawn at talent and passion, which folks like jimi had/have in abundance.
jimi will never be just "another dude who can play some stuff" he was and always will be one of the guitar greats primarily due to the passion he put into his instrument wich is apparent in his music
/thread
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks
Do not look at Hendrix relatively like that. Look at him in his time, were there any guitars of his class at that time? Did anyone even know how to play the guitar like that? NO! He was inspirational in his own way...
Yes, he might not be technically as good as some of the new guitarists, but look at it in a wider perspective.
^ agree with every word of that hendrix mad alot of guitarists what they are ask slash ect they will tell you who is the best
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!

Modern guitarists can't do two things at once. That's why modern bands usually have 2 guitarists.

Also, Jimi was the most innovative musician, who brought the most advancement in the entire 20th Century (except for perhaps Les Paul)
Quote by La Qotsa
...?

Emotion has nothing to do with this.
Slash IS overrated.

So is Malmsteen.
Anyone famous is overrated.
And btw, who decides who is overrated?
Music is all about opinion.... According to me...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Also, Jimi was the most innovative musician, who brought the most advancement in the entire 20th Century (except for perhaps Les Paul)

Was that sarcasm?
Jimi Hendrix was on a different level than anyone else of his time, innovative is an understatement. There's no way you can say he's a guy who just "plays some stuff". He was the first of his time to do that kind of ****. Just look at the popular bands of today? Are they innovative?.... They don't even SOUND different. There's no comparison, end of story.
Originally posted by Cakefighter
Ya wooden shoe wearin, windmill buildin, (I'd call ya pot smokin but it would make me a hypocrit) dirty Welshman.
jimi= no proper training compared to a lot of todays guitarists so i wouldn't call him overrated, if you want my opinion i'll have to say tht :
a) depends wat time they were "popular" or musically active or whatever they did to make ppl think he/she is the greatest. Because in the 60's etc. there weren't many ppl with access to stuff like DVD's, tabs, videos of other guitarists showing stuff and not to mention the cos of guitar teacher and schools of music. Compare that to today's world where there are even colleges of music and loads of resources available (sometimes for free) to people who want to learn the guitar.
b) maybe the countries they come from? I'm saying that from personal experience cos i only picked up the guitar in France cos before i used to live in India and rock music wasn't big when i was living there (but today its a different story) And not to mention if some awesome guitarist came from like Somalia or Sudan or something and got known as the greatest...they probs do deserve it
c) backgrounds e.g Rich/Poor again fits in with the era thing but even in today's world. e.g. John 5- From what i've heard he sez he came from a rich background compare that to the guy from muse (as far as i know he didn't come from that rich a background)
there's probs a lot more but yeah tht's all i can think of for now
Seriously, if people are to write longet texts, please write them so they can be read. .... Real words and please structrure it at least a little!
Quote by Izz
So is Malmsteen.

Lol, your quite funny.
Apparently people hate Malmsteen because he's...good or something.

Slash is one of these I-don't-know-anything-about-guitarists-or-guitars-but-I'll talk-about-him-to-try-and-fit-in guitarists.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
hey guys I was using Jimi as an example. But you get the point I guess. People can'
t just say o yeah he was the best when there might be some hecticly good guys out there. You can only know so much theory where do you draw the line on who applies it best?
Quote by Izz
So is Malmsteen.

Sums it up pretty well. The thing is, it's hard to compare guitarists like Slash and Malmsteen. They're different genres. It's like comparing Clapton with Vai. They're not really from the same time or the same influence. Guitarists like Jimi are awesome in their own right. What makes them great (IMO) is not how good they can play but the people they can influence with their playing. If Slash can write a lick that inspires people to pick up the guitar, that makes him a great person.
Quote by La Qotsa
Lol, your quite funny.
Apparently people hate Malmsteen because he's...good or something.

Slash is one of these I-don't-know-anything-about-guitarists-or-guitars-but-I'll talk-about-him-to-try-and-fit-in guitarists.

Is Slash that? According to you maybe...
You sound a little like an elitist... Is it wrong that people that's not into guitars like Slash?... He must do something right... If Slash is more popular than Malmsteen even though he suck I don't knows wrong with people....

Woooooh! The best guitarist is just playing now. Guns N' Roses! Wasn't that Slash's band? I have no idea, I'm not into guitars but I like that guy with the hat. He seems cool and Guns AND Roses are popular.
Quote by Izz
So is Malmsteen.
Music is all about opinion.... According to me...

BS. Here you have a music-O-meter

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Izz
Is Slash that? According to you maybe...
You sound a little like an elitist... Is it wrong that people that's not into guitars like Slash?... He must do something right... If Slash is more popular than Malmsteen even though he suck I don't knows wrong with people....

Yet again, popularity has nothing to do with this either. And, sorry, maybe I am quite elitist when it comes down to guitarists...

And they are into Slash, "even though he sucks" as you quite brilliantly put it, because they only know the "popular" ****, as mentioned earlier, maybe if people took time to look into guitarists a bit more, they'd appreciate Malmsteen, or anybody else for that matter, a wee bit more, rather than sticking to their "he's on adverts" guitarists or "MTV" guitarists.

Woooooh! The best guitarist is just playing now. Guns N' Roses! Wasn't that Slash's band? I have no idea, I'm not into guitars but I like that guy with the hat. He seems cool and Guns AND Roses are popular.

Yes, thats exactly it, little know-it-alls that only really know one guitarist and think he's great. Namely, Slash.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Modern guitarists can't do two things at once. That's why modern bands usually have 2 guitarists.

What? No. You know that's not true. Each one of those two guitarists could own Hendrix.
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
Quote by La Qotsa
Yet again, popularity has nothing to do with this either. And, sorry, maybe I am quite elitist when it comes down to guitarists...

And they are into Slash, "even though he sucks" as you quite brilliantly put it, because they only know the "popular" ****, as mentioned earlier, maybe if people took time to look into guitarists a bit more, they'd appreciate Malmsteen, or anybody else for that matter, a wee bit more, rather than sticking to their "he's on adverts" guitarists or "MTV" guitarists.

Or maybe people find Malmsteen a bit uninteresting?.... I do and I don't listen to GN'R because they are on adverts or what you are saying.... And let the people listen to what they want...

And if people listen to Slash because he's on tv today they'll only hear Slash being crap I.E Velvet Revolver... and I really haven't heard the hype about Slash being that good. It must have passed me somehow...
Quote by Izz
Or maybe people find Malmsteen a bit uninteresting?.... I do and I don't listen to GN'R because they are on adverts or what you are saying.... And let the people listen to what they want...

And if people listen to Slash because he's on tv today they'll only hear Slash being crap I.E Velvet Revolver... and I really haven't heard the hype about Slash being that good. It must have passed me somehow...

Ack, Slash is the first guitarist everybody hears about...and some choose not to go any further than that. Their mistake.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by jonathankruger1
Hey guys! Im Jonathan. Something that has bothered me for ages is the fact that so many famous guitarists are named the greatest yet I don't see why. Jimi Hendrix was great but compare him to todays guitarists and he is merely just another dude that could play some stuff. I think that there are people out there that can play way better than the popular guitarists but they just don't get the recognition that they deserve. Where do we draw the line between saying that guy is good because his stuff is popular or saying that guy is good because he knows how to play the @$#@ out of a guitar? I'd like to hear your guys opinions on that thanks !

(drawing courtesy UG user: Kilbie )
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by La Qotsa
Ack, Slash is the first guitarist everybody hears about...and some choose not to go any further than that. Their mistake.

Really? Most people I ask doesn't even know him to be honest. But that's maybe because the majority of people in Sweden listen to stuff far from rock....
Quote by Izz
Really? Most people I ask doesn't even know him to be honest. But that's maybe because the majority of people in Sweden listen to stuff far from rock....

Hah, thats very true...why on earth did you go for Slash?

!
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

(drawing courtesy UG user: Kilbie )

It owns so much that it gave me a hard on...
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by La Qotsa
Hah, thats very true...why on earth did you go for Slash?

!

What?
Quote by Fredde_
i dont realy like Malmsteen he can play fast but thats it.
i mean yust look at steve vai. he plays with fealing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NfZBvRvkIg - for the love of god
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg - Tender Surrender

*slap* You forgot "Lotus Feet". Anyway, Malmsteen did help influence the entire neo-classical genre, so he's godly in his own right. Vai... I dunno wtf he influences, but he's awesome.
Quote by Fredde_
i dont realy like Malmsteen he can play fast but thats it.
i mean yust look at steve vai. he plays with fealing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NfZBvRvkIg - for the love of god
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg - Tender Surrender

Listen to "Brothers" for example and you will see that Malmsteen does play with a lot of feeling.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

slash was the first guitarist i herd about, i was lisning to slashs snakepit and guns n rosesthen. hes one of the resons i play guitar
Quote by Fredde_
slash was the first guitarist i herd about, i was lisning to slashs snakepit and guns n rosesthen. hes one of the resons i play guitar

Trevligt.
Quote by urik
Listen to "Brothers" for example and you will see that Malmsteen does play with a lot of feeling.

i dont get ''the fealin'' when i lisen malmsteen. but when i litsening to vai then i get ''the fealing''
Quote by Fredde_
i dont get ''the fealin'' when i lisen malmsteen. but when i litsening to vai then i get ''the fealing''

Feeeeeeling. Aight?
Page 1 of 3