So...

Can keys be modal?

More and more I think about this and feel a flaming coming on...

but I figured I would go ahead and ask that way I don't worry about it later on.
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

Join the Anti-Nihilist Association of Life Seekers (ANALS)
If you are so unfortunate to think that life is meaningless, maybe you should end yours
You obviously aren't sure in what you learned.

So click this link.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
right right....RTFS right?

lawl...thanks m8
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

If you are so unfortunate to think that life is meaningless, maybe you should end yours
Yeah, Aenimus Prime copyrighted RTFS, so I can't use it anymore.

Did you find your answer in there, or you need some extra explanation.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
<suckup> not to be a suckup...but apparently he is the badass around here. </suckup>

nah im good....im off to learn the C05 and then more scales!
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

Nah every MT reg has my encouragement to use RTFS whenever necessary.

I wasn't sure about your question, but if you're alright thats good.

I wouldn't suck up to me. Suck up to John, he's the badass - I'm not even on the 'who to listen to' list. And 'badass' sounds really horrible in an Australian accent.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I...I has a confession... im not australian... its actually funny... I got a british friend here in the states and It just kinda stuck to me...but I digress...

yea... Keys are not/cannot be modal... so im good...

but while you are here.....gotsa question

I know i can use blues and minor penta when soloing in blues... but what do I look for if I want more?

I am using 7th chords of course... such as E7 A7 B7...

better yet let me try to be smart...

I can use the circle of fifths right? I like blues in E right now (until i become more flexible)

:: goes and looks up a chord breakdown of 7th chords ::

ok... so these 'blues chords' as I like to call em... are made up like this

1 3 5 b7

So... E7 would be E G# B D

Note: I play my E7 like this, I don't think it matters but I figure what the hell i'll tell ya

e-  0
B-  3
G-  1
D-  2
A-  2
E-  0

A7.... A C# E G

B7.... B D# F# G#

I can play major7th scales under/over each chord respectively... but how can I find out if there is a scale that fits them all?
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

I didn't think you were Australian, I was just pointing out that we say 'bad arse' which doesn't have nearly as good a ring to it as 'badass'

What do you mean by 'major7th scales'

There is no scale that fit E7 A7 B7
Look at the notes you have: E F# G G# A B C# D D#
Far too many to be contained in any recognisable scale.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Yeah its sort of a weird progession. Are you sure the E and A chords arent major seventh chords? It would work diatonically if they were, it would be in the key of E.

BTW major seventh chords (Xmaj7 or X/\) are 1 3 5 7. Same as the "blues" chord (lol) but with a major seven instead of a minor seven.

Its a really good idea to RTFS
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Yeah its sort of a weird progession

No it's not it's blues!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Ok, lets reconstruct here before Aenimus Prime blows a gasket and kills a MT noob with fire.

The first confusion I obviously encountered was a basic naming of the type of chord

XMaj7... which is 1 3 5 7 ....typical chord construction with at 7th....right?

Okay I get it now.. I meant dominant 7th chords... which instead of a 7th have a minor (b7)

I am using these in my current blues progression

E7 - 022130

A7 - x02023

B7 - x21202

am I right so far?

I understand that I can solo/riff over each chord with that specific scale:

E7 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 (E dominant? is that a mode or something?), E Minor penta, and E blues)

A7 - same respectively

B7 - same respectively

^ Aenimus Prime, I was asking if I could use Maj7th scale over each one respectively, only later to figure out the difference between Maj and Dominant.)

So am I now on the right track? and now that you gentlement understand what all my random babbling is all about...are there any scales that fit over this progression?

You guys are great btw... thanks for the help
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

Last edited by Zatchel at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by Zatchel
Ok, lets reconstruct here before Aenimus Prime blows a gasket and kills a MT noob with fire.

The first confusion I obviously encountered was a basic naming of the type of chord

XMaj7... which is 1 3 5 7 ....typical chord construction with at 7th....right?

Okay I get it now.. I meant dominant 7th chords... which instead of a 7th have a minor (b7)

I am using these in my current blues progression

E7 - 022130

A7 - x02023

B7 - x21202

am I right so far?

Yes

Quote by Zatchel

I understand that I can solo/riff over each chord with that specific scale:

E7 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 (E dominant? is that a mode or something?), E Minor penta, and E blues)

A7 - same respectively

B7 - same respectively

1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 is the Mixolydian Mode, which you could use over each respective chord. That may nt be the best route to take for a gritty/bluesy sound, but it's certainly an option. just experiment and trust your ears.

Quote by Zatchel

are there any scales that fit over this progression?

Yep, E blues and E minor pentatonic are really the only two that will cover the entire progression.

Overall I'd say either get or make a backing track of 12 bar blues in E, and start with the basics, using just E Blues/Eminor pent over it. Then experiment with changing mixolydian scales over each chord and notice how different those two approaches sound. That's just a basic overview, a slightly more advanced idea that's commonly used is to mix/alternate between E major & E minor pentatonic over a blues progression in E. So basically just experiment and have fun with it
Thanks dude.

yea I took a look at that Mixolydian mode... doesn't have the sound I really want, but I just want to make that my MT is getting better.
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD