I've been in a band (Melodic thrash metal) for almost a year (been playing guitar for at least 6) and we've been writing some originals. I really like how they come out and I feel proud of them. Especially because the music scene here is so crappy. I feel like we finally have REAL music to offer people. But then I think about one of my friends who is in another band (screamo). His music isn't that well constructed. It sounds like every other band in town, and really doesn't offer anything for the listener. But he seems to be proud of his music too.

It makes me wonder if I'm the same way. I'm musically educated, I have a variety of musical influences, and I use music theory a lot to make the song sound like I want it. But maybe I just think that it sounds good because I want to sound good.

We haven't been able to play our originals anywhere yet, so I don't know what people think about it...

Is there something that defines bad music or good music? Or is one man's treasure another man's trash?
You hit the nail on the head with those final two sentences - Good music requires hooks (guitar/vocal hooks), structure, a good flow and in your case undeniable heaviness (LOL)

In my case, bad music would be anything that isn't metal haha. But like you said, one man's treasure is another man's trash. My Chemical Romance is a prime example.

I wouldn't worry about your songs buddy, its not often you see metal bands that aren't following a bloody trend. If you reckon your songs sound different from everyone elkses, then they will sound different from everyone elses - so long as you remain positive about things I've had the opportunity to work with some crap musicians and some good ones, so I'm allowed to say this haha :P

heres a hint - don't always go for technicality and heaviness, melody a chuggability is good sometimes too.
Good songs don't require hooks, but they help make them catchy. Good pop songs require hooks. Some other genres try to avoid them as much as possible.

That doesn't mean incorporating them will make your work turn into Avril Lavigne overnight. Simply as an exercise listen to and take apart 'The Beautiful People'. It's a painfully simple song, but it's hella catchy and a good example of 'pop song structure'. For a rather 'hooky' riff in an unexpected place, try listening to Satyricon 'Nemesis Divina' around :38 seconds comes one of the catchiest riffs in all black metal.

The average person tends to find simple riffs more catchy, so throwing them in is a good basis for a 'hook'. Considering you're aiming for a melodic sound, pop elements should blend well and not diminish the overall heaviness of your work.

PS: postmortem, thrash revival is the new trend. Expect to see 40 000 Municipal Waste clones on the cover of AP in 18 months.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Play some shows, get a local following. That's usually a pretty good sign that you've got some good tunes.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
Play some shows, get a local following. That's usually a pretty good sign that you've got some good tunes.

Yes. If majority of your scene likes it... seems you are doing the good job.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
I know what you mean. I've been starting to lack confidence in my songwriting. I think they're ok though.

BTW, my band is a mixing of Melodic Black Metal and Sabbath-esque doom/stoner metal and even some acoustic elements so I need to be on top of my game.

I's say that a good song has depth and can be taken for more than just face value.
Last edited by SixStringSicko at Oct 29, 2007,
Quote by SixStringSicko
I know what you mean. I've been starting to lack confidence in my songwriting. I think they're ok though.

BTW, my band is a mixing of Melodic Black Metal and Sabbath-esque doom/stoner metal and even some acoustic elements so I need to be on top of my game.

You could maybe post some music and then ask opinions.

Or you are afraid?
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by STABxYOU

PS: postmortem, thrash revival is the new trend. Expect to see 40 000 Municipal Waste clones on the cover of AP in 18 months.

Yeah i know >.<

Seems thrash is becoming another trend. May God have mercy....
Well, it really should be about what you like. You're proud about what you write, so thats all that matters. Do you like your songs or not? If you do, then its all good.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by postmortem2006
Yeah i know >.<

Seems thrash is becoming another trend. May God have mercy....

Damn... I thought I was being cool because all the music scene is here is Screamo, hardcore, and a little ska. There's only one other metal band that I know of (not death, the kind that you sing), and they're more hair metal. And I really love the thrash sound and feel. I guess I'm not the only one..
don't be worried about your songs, because everywhere people will spit on it and put you down about it. but in other places people will just eat it up and support you. my take on my music, if you don't like it, don't listen to it, plain and simple.

like if someone would tell me they don't like an origianl song by us, i would probably tell him to **** off and don't be such a downer.

your gonna have fans no matter what you play because everyone gets off to something different. it's good to mix things up and send them a curve ball every once and a while though y'know? don't be predictable, cause thats pretty boring. let them know who runs the show......you.

hope i helped.
Ha, the old "what makes music good" question. It has been asked a thousand times in a thousand different ways, and a thousand different composers and musicians have all responded to it in a unique way. Nikolai Medtner wrote a "The Muse and the Fashion, being a defence of the foundations of the art of music," claiming that the basis of music was in song. Alexander Scriabin claimed his music was written in accordance with "natural law" and thus was perfect. Ferruccio Busoni wrote "The Sketch of a New Aesthetic of Music," declaring that music free of any traditional confines. One can go on and on all day about aesthetics...but I am inclined to say that any greatness in music is found only in a piece's depth and it's subsequent longevity.
Quote by Wolftone08
Damn... I thought I was being cool because all the music scene is here is Screamo, hardcore, and a little ska. There's only one other metal band that I know of (not death, the kind that you sing), and they're more hair metal. And I really love the thrash sound and feel. I guess I'm not the only one..

I do spazzy traditional emo influenced stuff precisely because no one around here does anything like it. There's lots of whiny pop-punk bands though. And boring metalcore.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2