Well i'm going to buy EMG pickups for my Ibanez GRG170DX
I am currently thinking of buying two EMG 81's and a EMG Sa
would this be a good combination? or is there something better?
how do u put pickups on anyway?
Thank u!!!
Well if you're asking how to put pickups in it's probably best to go to an expert to get them fitted. Most places will in clude a setup for you as well

But I can whole-heartedly recommend EMG's, especially if you're playing any kind of heavy rock/metal style as they have a lcarity to every note even in thick distortion
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
my lespaul has two 81's, and they are awesome, i dont know anythign about singles though, you will probably have to have a guitar store like Guitar Center put them in for you, especially if you have active pickups like the 81's are, because they require more wiring, and the installation of the battery pack
Those EMGs are going to cost more then that RG you've got... But I would go for an EMG85 in the bridge, and 60 or 81 for the neck. An SA in the bridge will work nicely as well. Just be ready to replace your jack and pots. Its easy to change batteries. All you have to do is open up your electronics cavity and swap it.
Quote by CJRocker
Those EMGs are going to cost more then that RG you've got... But I would go for an EMG85 in the bridge, and 60 or 81 for the neck. An SA in the bridge will work nicely as well. Just be ready to replace your jack and pots. Its easy to change batteries. All you have to do is open up your electronics cavity and swap it.

what do u mean change my jack and pots???
Quote by Ibarshall_X
what do u mean change my jack and pots???

EMGs require 25k pots due to the output of them. I understand standard pots will sound extremely harsh or just flat not work at all (Im not 100% on that so feel free to correct me) They also need a stero jack, so the active circuit can be completed and work. This also means you have to unplug your guitar or it will kill your batteries.
Quote by CJRocker
EMGs require 25k pots due to the output of them. I understand standard pots will sound extremely harsh or just flat not work at all (Im not 100% on that so feel free to correct me) They also need a stero jack, so the active circuit can be completed and work. This also means you have to unplug your guitar or it will kill your batteries.

ur confusin me
so if i buy the emg's
i'll need batteries, 25k pots and a new stereo jack
are the 25k pots the tone and volume control knobs on the guitar?
and i don't understand when u say tht ''This also means you have to unplug your guitar or it will kill your batteries.'' are u saying that if i play then i have to unplug the guitar or smthing?
EDIT: oh yeah....and links on the pots and stereo jack please
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Oct 29, 2007,
And once again we come back to the crapness of your amp...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you buy a kit all the parts are in the box. But sounds like this is a bit out of your league to do the work yourself. You will be replacing all the guts in your guitar to do this.
Like most people above said, basically, if you make the move to EMGs (or any active pickup really), you'll be replacing all the electronics of your guitar. Not just the pickups.

Reason why your amp is in question, is because depending on your amp, EMGs might not make much of a difference in your tone, or could possibly even sound worse.

So what kind of amp do you have?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Ibarshall_X
what do u mean?

You have a little 15 watt practice amp....new pickups are the least of your worries when it comes to improving your tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i have the Ibanez TB15R amp
so what kind of kit do u reccommend?
and i wont change em myself
I think that you should get a better guitar than just spending more money into your old one which (no offense) is really ****ty. You can get a ESP KH with EMG pickups and a Floyd Rose for just a hundred bucks more than your Ibanez...

Here is the link: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPKH202
"Its not how many years you are playing its how many hours"
Quote by Hamer098
I think that you should get a better guitar than just spending more money into your old one which (no offense) is really ****ty. You can get a ESP KH with EMG pickups and a Floyd Rose for just a hundred bucks more than your Ibanez...

Here is the link: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPKH202

The pickups aren't the same, the floyd is licensed, not original. It is an improvement over the ibanez, however.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Well yea but they are made by EMG and in my opinion the author of the thread wants them just for looks - if he doesnt have a good amp its still going to sound choppy. If thats true than he can get passive EMG's as well
Quote by Hamer098
Well yea but they are made by EMG and in my opinion the author of the thread wants them just for looks - if he doesnt have a good amp its still going to sound choppy. If thats true than he can get passive EMG's as well

Yeah, I mean the amp is the obvious way to go for tone improvements, I agree with the TS wanting them for looks, in which case, yes the passives would be good. However, we need to overcome this noobishness and focus on the main objective of getting this guys tone the best it can be.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
EMGs may sound worse through your amp than your current pickups.

Let's buy a new amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
EMGs may sound worse through your amp than your current pickups.

Let's buy a new amp.

and let's +1 this post.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
yay now everyone is happy
Quote by mcw00t
and let's +1 this post.

+1 (snowballing)

Now let us dance and be joyful!
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
ok...listen, i'm not going to buy the emg's yet ok? i'm planning ahead
u really think i don't listen?
besides i just got my guitar at the end of summer so the stock ones are still a ok for me
i'll buy the EMG's a bit sooner /a bit later then my amp
Quote by Ibarshall_X
ok...listen, i'm not going to buy the emg's yet ok? i'm planning ahead
u really think i don't listen?
besides i just got my guitar at the end of summer so the stock ones are still a ok for me
i'll buy the EMG's a bit sooner /a bit later then my amp

How old are you? because you've made loads of threads asking for advice, and then not taking it.
The EMG's will get you metallica's tone, but only through a decent high gain tube amp. Do you have any idea how much all of this is going to cost you?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
yes i know how much it will cost me
i'm 14 but ive told u many many times, 2 YEARS!!!!
i think i will have the money in 2 years....ps my dad pays half of it
WOW than thats planning way ahead... IMO learn how to play good and than think about changing your gear and if you still want EMG's get a better amp if not than get a better guitar...
Last edited by Hamer098 at Oct 30, 2007,
Hokay than everybody is happy again!!

/thread