i was just wondering, on average, how much do you think each member of a band about as popular as All That Remains or Soilwork makes each year?
**** is about the best you get, unless you are any good.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Let's put it this way, a band like Slipknot held side jobs until they released Subliminal Verses... so you have to be pretty damn big. Most people teach on the side, like Chris Broderick and Bill Hudson to make a few extra bucks.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
A lump of coal, a blowjob from a cross-dresser and a flame-grilled whopper.

But in all seriousness nobody here is gunna have a funkin clue, it depends on how well their album/singles sell, or more importantly, if they are gigging in that year, and if its a proper tour, how big the venues are/how many tickets are actually sold.

Then come the technicalities of their contracts, their record label may take more of a percentage of their album/single sales compared to another etc etc.
Not that much.

Honestly if you want money you'd be better off working in Tesco than a band. (unless your like RHCP , Metallica etc)
Quote by borntoboard321
a ****load

I go with a lot less than that

Quote by im_hungry
Honestly if you want money you'd be better off working in Tesco than a band. (unless your like RHCP , Metallica etc)

That depends entirely on your viewpoint to things
it depends on how much you tour and how much merch you sell, CD sales usually don't give you a significant amount unle not on a label or you sell craploads of records.I know some not very famous local bands that live off music but they tour the US and europe for like 9 months out of the year.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by GiantRaven

That depends entirely on your viewpoint to things

I meant if you were in it for the money.

A band isn't really a fixed amount of income.
It depends if they write their own songs and get royalties.

Bands like Led Zeppelin wrote their own material, and also took royalties from blues covers, so they got plenty of money. Plus, of course, the antics of Peter Grant, their manager got them a bigger cut of ticket sales.

Other pop bands, for instance, Muse, don't write their own songs, so they make less money, and rightly so.
Quote by schecter_guy
basically, unless you sell out huge arenas every year, you probably just break even.

nah even if you are in a semi-obscure band you can pull like 30-40 grand a year USD if you tour a lot and sell lots of T-Shirts, you won't be wealthy but you'll be making a living.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Bands like Led Zeppelin wrote their own material, and also took royalties from blues covers, so they got plenty of money. Plus, of course, the antics of Peter Grant, their manager got them a bigger cut of ticket sales.

Other pop bands, for instance, Muse, don't write their own songs, so they make less money, and rightly so.

Is this a joke post?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Man i hope this is a joke, otherwise my faith in humanity will have been dealt a crippling blow
I was being serious, apart from the bit about muse. I couldn't think of a good example of a band, so I figured I'd put down Muse for a laugh.

I must admit I didn't think anyone would notice me slandering them off though.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I was being serious, apart from the bit about muse. I couldn't think of a good example of a band, so I figured I'd put down Muse for a laugh.

I must admit I didn't think anyone would notice me slandering them off though.

Why would Led Zep get royalties from other peoples songs they used?

Wouldn't they get less money from having to pay the other artists royalties?
No, because they covered old obscure blues songs, and while the original artists were put down as the songwriters, Page and Plant got a cut of the royalties from these songs.

This was only mentioned to me once, but i'll double check.
I think it depends too. I'd bet those guys from panic at the disco arent to well off anymore, because they seem to have dissapeared. But I bet the members of fallout boy are starting to get fairly comfortable.

System of a down lasted a good 9 years and four albums, they all live in pretty nice size houses in Cali, so obviously their doing pretty well.

I know the guys from trivium Live in pretty average houses and places, and it seems they're not REALLY popular, but do have a real following.

So I think it depends on how long you've been around too, I always hear that bands break up after their first record because they're so in debt and cant handle the strain.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by Zach_F
I think it depends too. I'd bet those guys from panic at the disco arent to well off anymore, because they seem to have dissapeared.

They've just been writing/recording a new album
Okay, they arranged and performed versions of "Travelling riverside blues" by Robert Johnson and "When the levee breaks" by Memphis Minnie (Led Zep 4), but they cut themselves as co-writers and publishers.

And apparently other songs they listed as "traditional" and copyrighted in their own names (thats all I have for this bit)

Clapton, on the other hand, paid musicians that he covered himself - Skip James was virtually destitute and this paid his medical bills.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Oct 29, 2007,
Dude you've got Led Zeppelin backwards. Kick ass as they are, they stole a LOT of their music from old recordings and didn't get caught for a long time. For example, The Lemon Song is essentially Killing Floor (by Howlin' Wolf). They got sued over that one later. I was once listening to an old recording of Robert Johnson from like 1930 and he's just improvising away when all the sudden he lays down the exact riff from The Ocean. I was blown away.