so i just moved to the states for college and had to leave my stage amp back home (crappy solid state...) i figured it would be a good time to upgrade to tube.
i need something that can manage high gain, i mostly play progressive death, melodic death, and thrash.
my guitar at the moment is an old s470 with emg 81-85's.

price range is about 1,000 USD. i know thats not enough for something top notch, ie mesa etc, but i just dont have the money for that right now.

at the moment im looking at something along the lines of a peavey valveking or a triple xxx 40.

input?
USED Mesa mark IV or F-30

Peavey 5150 or 6505
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yeah if you can find a peavey 5150 used that would be sweet. those things are badass.
craigslist. and i'd say stay away from the valveking. it really is nothing spectacular. the used mesa mark iv and used peavey 5150 are good suggestions, but another thing to take into account is where you're living. those things can get pretty freaking loud (though they'll still sound amazing at low volumes).
Are you looking for a combo, or head+cab? Is there a size or wattage you would prefer to keep it under?

XXX 40, JSX, Recto-Verb, Mesa F-30/50/100, 5150/6505, Mark IV, Marshall DSL60, B-52 AT212, Genz-Benz El-Diablo.

All of those can be found for less than $1,000 depending on where you look.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
craiglist and ebay. with ebay just look for someone with more than 95% positive rating and large score, for a smaller score you want 99% +

with tube amps its not likely anything will be seriously broken that can't be easily repaired and in probably 99% of cases the amp is in working order anyway
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Yeah look on your local Craigslist, a used Peavey 5150 combo sounds IDEAL for you. They don't make the original 5150 anymore, because of licensing stuffs, but Peavey still make the 6505+ which is the same thing really. The new EVH 5150III is also pretty much the same amp. But yeah, 5150 combo.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'd personally rather have a combo, but if you can find a head and a 2x12, that'd be the best bet. a 2x12 combo is about 90 pounds, a head like 30-50 pounds and a 4x12 cab 90 pounds. A 2x12 cab is like 50 pounds, so overall it's the easiest to lug around. You'd need a couple people for a 2x12 combo or big 4x12 cab, but the 2x12 cab and head are fairly easy to lug around.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.