I assume most of you know who Gilmour is but i decided to post the band for those not in the know. Hes got a 3 pickup set for the strat and its about 295 bucks. It comes stock on NOTHING. So i've never gotten to try it. Im looking for a really versatile pickup that will give my strat its strat type sound but at the same time im looking for a cross between the tones of Eddie Van Halen Stevie Ray Vaughn and David Gilmour.

Anyone ever try these pickups out?

I've already checked harmony central and musicians friend for reviews and i looked up videos on youtube but i need some UG input...

THX
On the Subject of Hitlers resemblance to Emos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphin
No. Emos can't grow facial hair, not to mention their inability to invade Poland
I've never tried them but I can give you some advice: look on ebay. I got lucky and got an EMG KH-21 set NEW for $160. If you have patience, they will pop new for cheap
I hate to say it, but his sig pickups are a sacrifice / compromise. He only uses EMGs because the active circuit produces less noise than the passive pickups has had been using in the past. If you are simply looking for great tone, look elsewhere, but if you are looking for pickups to use in a huge gig setting, those should be ok.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Actually in an interview I had he said he was only using EMGs to get rid of the noise. But nowadays electronics aren't as noisy so he doesn't use them anymore.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Anyone ever try these things though

Quote:
No. Emos can't grow facial hair, not to mention their inability to invade Poland
I bought them and installed them about a month ago. I LOVE them. My Fender strat came with Duncan Alnico Pros in them, and while they sounded good, they were noisy and could not handle much gain at all. I popped in the EMG set (make sure your strat is a 21 fret or you have modifying to do!) and boy do they sound great. The expander module makes for some really nice, deep clean tones, and the mid boost really kickes up the ability to handle gain for some sweet solos. My amp is kinda noisy in general, but I have noticed a decrease in noise. These pups are a LOT louder than stock strats, even my Les Paul. Very versatile too.

The biggest plus is the ability to handle more gain and the awesome crystal clear clean (say that 3 times!) sound. Yes, you must remove the pickguard to replace the battery, but I've read it lasts about a year or so. UNPLUG your guitar when not in use!

All in all, I'd definately recommend it.
Fender Special Edition Koa Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Visual Sound Jeckyll & Hyde Overdrive
Fender Blues DeVille 2x12
Quote by masterchief101
I bought them and installed them about a month ago. I LOVE them. My Fender strat came with Duncan Alnico Pros in them, and while they sounded good, they were noisy and could not handle much gain at all. I popped in the EMG set (make sure your strat is a 21 fret or you have modifying to do!) and boy do they sound great. The expander module makes for some really nice, deep clean tones, and the mid boost really kickes up the ability to handle gain for some sweet solos. My amp is kinda noisy in general, but I have noticed a decrease in noise. These pups are a LOT louder than stock strats, even my Les Paul. Very versatile too.

The biggest plus is the ability to handle more gain and the awesome crystal clear clean (say that 3 times!) sound. Yes, you must remove the pickguard to replace the battery, but I've read it lasts about a year or so. UNPLUG your guitar when not in use!

All in all, I'd definately recommend it.

Im a huge Eddie Van Halen fan as well as Stevie Ray Vaughn David Gilmour and Dickey Bettes

Those to me are the 4 greatest tones and styles ever

That can be argued by some but not to me

Im sure the clean is amazing but lets just pretend i was going to play some metal...could these pups handle that....

By the way my amp is a Fender 65 twin reverb(aka the loudest amp i've ever encountered)

Quote:
Lol hell no, they seriously suck. Gilmour's tone is completely lifeless; if you compare his clean tone to a decent deluxe strat or custom strat you will definitely hear how the Alnico III or V pickups have much MORE definition on the cleans and definitely sound better. You want noiseless pickups that still sound good? Why not install a set of Kinman pickups, they are the best noiseless Single Coil pickups atm. They dont sacrifice tone for noise cancelling because they dont use stacked coils to get rid of the hum (contrary to fender noiseless pickups, which sound horrible).
gilmour said that they don't sound straty enough
so if you are going for a SRV tone i have a feeling these won't do it
cause SRV i think has one of the stratiest tones ever
Plus they're more for the tone of the post Waters era. Basically any stuff with Waters, the EMGs are a bad choice.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I had read that he started using the EMG's because they pushed the signal better through his effects chain. His signal path is long and goes through many effects before it hits the amp, the EMG's helped get it there.

IMO I wouldn't do it.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Well as said I have an interview with him where he spoke about EMGs.

He said like this:
"I was using EMGs because I had a large pedals borads and the lightning and equipment were running on the same generator. Back then shielding was really bad. But now the shielding is much better and I use my old Strat again. EMGs sound really good, but they don't have that Strat tone".
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

you want noiseless pickups but still keep the strat sound? how about stacked pickups?
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
My tip is to shield your Strat. I did it and keeps close to all noise out. Keeps all the tone.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Also TS, have you looked into Lace Sensor pickups? They should do everything you want if you get the right combination of them in there. I'm sure a Lace user could further direct you as to what you would want...
Fender Lace Sensors, particularly silver and gold ones sound like they might do what you want
EDIT: Didn't see the post above
EDIT2:
I'll explain the sounds of the pickups
Red: High output, like a modern sounding humbucker
Blue: Lower output, but still fairly high, sounds like a vintage humbucker. IMO, the nicest sounding, along with the silver.
Silver: sounds like an overwound single coil, quite similar to Fender texas specials, but different
Gold: Bell like strat sound, similar to a vintage strat tone
Last edited by National_Anthem at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by Aetius
Lol hell no, they seriously suck. Gilmour's tone is completely lifeless; if you compare his clean tone to a decent deluxe strat or custom strat you will definitely hear how the Alnico III or V pickups have much MORE definition on the cleans and definitely sound better. You want noiseless pickups that still sound good? Why not install a set of Kinman pickups, they are the best noiseless Single Coil pickups atm. They dont sacrifice tone for noise cancelling because they dont use stacked coils to get rid of the hum (contrary to fender noiseless pickups, which sound horrible).

You may not like the pick-ups Gilmour uses, but to say David Gilmour has lifeless tone...

I hope for your sake you're an atheist. Kidding, but still, that's something that needs to have forgiveness requested over.
Global warming at my homework, sir.
Ok well you guys have OFFICIALLY talked me out of getting these Gilmour EMGS...

IM actually at the Kinman site now and am checking out soundclips of the purple woodstock set...

Keep in mind i want Eddie Van Halen distortion with a raunchy SRV overdrive and Gilmour soloing clarity.....

If its any help to you guys there is absolutly NO BUDGET LIMIT.........

im willing to spend many greenbacks to get my sound

as of now you guys are actually being really helpful as opposed to the pit or metal forum

appreciated

Quote:
Well my tip is this (if you can afford it)
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

My tip is to get two Irish Tours (neck and middle) since SRV only used the neck and middle pups and Gilmour mostly used them. Then get a VHII humbucker for the bridge position and route it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Aye bareknuckles would be your best bet as they would wire them specifically for you as well
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
The guy who created Bareknuckle pickups is also the lead guitar player for ICED EARTH i believe........

Thats a big plus for me so ill check these out....

My rig by the way is...

Fender 65 Twin Reverb
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Visual SOund Liquid Chorus and Echo
Boss DD-3 Delay
EH Big Muff
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Boss Tuner

Quote:
Well I have Bareknuckle Mules and I must say they are the best pickups ever. Yes Tim Mills was the lead guitarist.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I have a set of BK Mules in my Gibson Studio Plus w/ a bone nut and it is great for slide.

I also have a set of BK Apaches in one of my Warmoth strats. Pure Heaven.

For what you want a set of BK Irish Tours would be perfect, if you can afford them. I am helping a buddy of mine put together a guitar and that is what I had him buy. He wants a Woodstock Hendrix Strat, That is how he will get here.

I am also buying a set of BK Yard Birds for a Warmoth Tele I am building now. I can't wait for the Tele Goodness.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Everyone keeps telling me about these Irish tours....how much are they? Also everyone mentions the mules....

I still need a humbucker in my bridge though.....i want that Eddie Van Halen sound badly

Quote:
Well Mules are great, but I would say the VHII to in the bridge (after all it's named VHII after EVH...)

Well click Bareknuckle Shop to see the prices.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

u shield a guitar like this:

and it was actually pretty easy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The VH2 Irish Tour Irish Tour setup is 190 pounds....

Whats that in American dollars

Quote:
Well i figure it will cost about 400 more or less with shipping and handling....

I can make that back in less than 2 weeks at my job and i figure installation will cost me 250 or so........i guess 3 1/2 weeks is about the time it will take me to pay it all back...

I have a horrible problem with noise on my strat and lack of clarity on my first 3 string anytime after the 12 fret and on all 22 frets of my g string.....

How noisy are these pups

Quote:
have a horrible problem with noise on my strat and lack of clarity on my first 3 string anytime after the 12 fret and on all 22 frets of my g string.....

How noisy are these pups

Quote:
Well I don't know how much noise they lack, but you could get reverse wound middle pickup. But I recommend shileding your guitar, it's easy and turns out great!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Aetius

Gilmour's tone is completely lifeless haha, you dont know guitar buddy, gilmour has arguably the best tone, ever hear shine on or the brick in the wall solo, he is the master at tone