Google yielded nothing so...

What's the difference between the Ibanez RG2550EX and the 2550E? Which one's better?
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Ok, musiciansfriend tells me the EX has a 3pc neck and the E has a 5pc neck. What's the diff?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
All Ibanez RG Pretige bolt on guitars have the same neck and the quality is pretty much identical.

Here is the 2550E
(Invalid img)

The 2550EX was only made from 2003 to 2004.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
i can't even find the rg2550EX on ibanez's website, although most EX's have emg's instead of dimarzio's that could be the diference
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
Quote by markazord
i can't even find the rg2550EX on ibanez's website, although most EX's have emg's instead of dimarzio's that could be the diference

Nope, it has dimarzios too.

So whats the diff between a 3pc and a 5pc neck?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Nope, it has dimarzios too.

So whats the diff between a 3pc and a 5pc neck?

The five piece neck was introduced after the 2550EX and is generally considered as an upgrade to the the 3 piece construction, due to it being stronger.

The five piece neck is made from three pieces of maple and two pieces of wenge, whilst the the 3 piece neck is completely maple.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The five piece neck was introduced after the 2550EX and is generally considered as an upgrade to the the 3 piece construction, due to it being stronger.

The five piece neck is made from three pieces of maple and two pieces of wenge, whilst the the 3 piece neck is completely maple.

And what does it mean in playability terms? Besides being more robust does it mean anything else?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
And what does it mean in playability terms? Besides being more robust does it mean anything else?

It's perfectly smooth, so playing wise they're fine.

Keep in mind though that some years back made their necks 2mm thicker (their still very thin), so that means that if you go back far enough you will notice a difference in necks.
Well, for 400 bucks a 2550EX is worth the extra 2mm XD

THANK SO VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!! Can't say how much I appreciate it

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Well, for 400 bucks a 2550EX is worth the extra 2mm XD

THANK SO VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!! Can't say how much I appreciate it

Sure thing.

Anyway, enjoy the guitar if you end up getting it and don't forget to post pics.
That will probably be the first thing I'll do before even playing it, haha!

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
In general Most Ibanez guitar differences are the paint job, the pups (in most cases), and the body wood (for all set neck and bolt ons).

The wizard neck still kicks much butt though!
Quote by DreamFactory
In general Most Ibanez guitar differences are the paint job, the pups (in most cases), and the body wood (for all set neck and bolt ons).

The wizard neck still kicks much butt though!

Ibanez actually has a pretty damn diverse range, but when it comes to one serie, like the RG, most guitars have a lot in common.

The RG Prestige bolt on, six string, guitars for instance have the same neck, bodywood and trem (provided they have a trem of course), so most differences are in the paintjob and pickups.

Although, even here there are at least two exceptions, being the RGR1570, which has a reversed headstock, but the same neck profile as the rest, and the RG550MXX which has a maple fretboard and a different profile.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 29, 2007,