But I picked one up anyway. Cruddy Affinity P Bass, but it was free. Can any of you lovely bassists in here offer me some pointers on the guitar-to-bass adaptation? Thicker strings, no pick, I believe, but hell if I know. I'll admit my ignorance. Practice excercises? Good tabs to start with?

And, just to clarify, I will be fine plugging into my 5 watt Valve Junior head with a 2x12" cab, right? No real danger of blowing out the speakers or frying transformers?

I did consider putting this in the basics forum, but frankly, I'd rather ret responses from dedicated bassists.

Thanks in advance for the help, mates.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

And, just to clarify, I will be fine plugging into my 5 watt Valve Junior head with a 2x12" cab, right? No real danger of blowing out the speakers or frying transformers?

Don't run a bass through a guitar amp- the speakers won't be able to handle the frequencies and you'll run a strong chance of blowing the speakers
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
you do realise that bass specific equipment exists for a reason, right? It's not just so bassists have something to call their own it does actually have a purpose.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
bass into a guitar head into bass speakers is fine, but guitar speakers are likely to blow.

you're just starting out with bass, do what beginner guitarists do and buy a cheap little practice amp.

I'm no bass expert myself but the Warwick Blue 15 sounded decent for the ridiculously low price (like £75 or around that ($150) ) but by no means great, or there the ashdown after 8
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by the.spine.surfs
But I picked one up anyway. Cruddy Affinity P Bass, but it was free. Can any of you lovely bassists in here offer me some pointers on the guitar-to-bass adaptation? Thicker strings, no pick,

why no pick? there aren't any rules saying, thou must play finger style, and worship jaco p.
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
You know, you can use a pick if it feels more comfortable to you. I've started playing with a pick alot lately, and I'm still as much of a bassist as I ever was.

Also, you do need to use a bass amp, or at least a bass cab. Maybe you could plug into your computer for the time being, or something.
Quote by myname86
I agree, guitarists shouldn't play bass...
Wow, nice ignorance there, buddeh...
^Yea, the title was kinda a joke...

Alright, I'll not play though the guitar cab. Is there any sort of cheap digital moddler especially for bass (like a digitech RP) that one could plug into for just practice? And on that subject, anyone selling one? I'm massivly short funded right now, I just emptied my bucket of change to go to a show last night...college life, eigh? So an amp is out for now.

Alright, I'll try with and without a pick.

Quote by skater dan0
you do realise that bass specific equipment exists for a reason, right? It's not just so bassists have something to call their own it does actually have a purpose.

I know that bass amps exist, and that I should use one, but I can barely scrape 2 figures together, much less 3, for new gear. And I thought the guitar forum was elitist! (Kidding! )
Quote by the.spine.surfs

I know that bass amps exist, and that I should use one, but I can barely scrape 2 figures together, much less 3, for new gear. And I thought the guitar forum was elitist! (Kidding! )

Nah, our toys just cost more.

Depending on your budget, Peavey, Ibanez and Crate all have fairly decent practice amps for under 60 USD. It just may mean forgoing pizza and beer for a few months, but its worth it if you want to get a decent sound.
I saw the thread title and got ready to hurt you, as someone who started out on gutiar.

But all is good now.

This one, however, may die soon:

Quote by myname86
I agree, guitarists shouldn't play bass...
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
yawwwwwwwwwwwwn...............slow day in the bass forum. Oh well yea, who cares what you play before you pick up the bass. Play whatever you want
Mmm. For the reccord, I don't plan on playing bass anywhere but in my apartment. Ever. I might track some stuff to Garageband with it, or let someone borrow it, but I don't want a bass "rig" right now, just a way to practice.
A caveat here, I have never used one of these, but Dean makes a bass version of their "stack in a box" headphone amps for bass. If you don't want a full rig and just something to practice with, it may be a good option.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Bass-in-a-Box-Bass-Headphone-Amp?sku=184700
You should learn fingerstyle, well it really not might not matter as much cuz you play guitar and pick all the time anyways. I started from scratch and started with pick,and fingerstyle came real hard to me, somethings I still have trouble with somethings fingerstyle...Yeah but learn fingerstyle, cuz to be a good all around player know many techniques is good
Quote by brentonkim
Don't buy anything made from Epiphone or Behringer.

u crazy? the Epi T-bird is a fine starter bass. I have one of em on my wall.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by the.spine.surfs

You called?

Is this Valve Junior a true tube amp (i.e. tube power amp)? If so, back in the day, there were no bass/guitar amps. It was just 1 kind of amp, and it was all-tube. Tubes should not bother the speakers, as the wattage is typically much lower (and the output perceivably higher) than solid state (meaning your speakers have plenty of headroom).
Quote by christianbassis

Good, and when you get a real bass, that's where it'll stay!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 29, 2007,
Quote by christianbassis

Interesting, Bad Tone, Bad Fret Access, Poor Construction, and at the same price as the much superior Squier or Ibanez starter basses, what's not to love?
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 29, 2007,
So...a bassist shouldn't play guitar...

Can a guitarist play bass?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
i really like the look of a T-bird, but I really should get an amp first. And even that's a bit far off.

^^I do want to learn fingerstyle. I'm not really sure what to do...I've been trying to play guitar scales, on the bass...does one rest one's thumb on the pickup for stability? I think I've see that done...
Quote by the.spine.surfs
i really like the look of a T-bird, but I really should get an amp first. And even that's a bit far off.

^^I do want to learn fingerstyle. I'm not really sure what to do...I've been trying to play guitar scales, on the bass...does one rest one's thumb on the pickup for stability? I think I've see that done...

there's no such thing as "guitar scales." They're just scales, no matter what you're playing them on.

And yes, you can anchor your thumb on the pup.
Quote by Yngwi3
Don't run a bass through a guitar amp- the speakers won't be able to handle the frequencies and you'll run a strong chance of blowing the speakers

BAAD idea, no sound, UNLESS you blow the speakers in which case you get a very loud sound that might just give you a heart attack 0_o put my low B sting trough my ****ty little guitar amp and nearly deafened myself
Actually, I've had decent results playing bass through the exact same setup he was going too. It sounds like ass on the low notes, but 5 watts isn't going to blow the speakers at any frequency.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by anarkee
Nah, our toys just cost more.

Depending on your budget, Peavey, Ibanez and Crate all have fairly decent practice amps for under 60 USD. It just may mean forgoing pizza and beer for a few months, but its worth it if you want to get a decent sound.

I have a Peavey MAX 126 Bass Practice Combo it does pretty well. It's like 70/60 bucks off of guitarcenter.com.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
DeliriumBassist, I was just refering to scales as they apply to the guitar, ie, the familier shapes and patterns I know from practicing them on the guitar.

So last night, I read the lessons on slapping, and spend an hour or so practicing that. Bloody fun, right there.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
DeliriumBassist, I was just refering to scales as they apply to the guitar, ie, the familier shapes and patterns I know from practicing them on the guitar.

So last night, I read the lessons on slapping, and spend an hour or so practicing that. Bloody fun, right there.

Well, they ARE exactly the same
Please whatever you do, don't treat scales as just shapes, learn the formulae and what notes you actually play. I t may seem like hard work, but it's a lot more useful in the long run.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
^Thanks, I need a kick in the pants like that everynow and then to get out my bloody charts and memorize roots and 3rds and 5ths.

^^Aye, as I'm realizing. Sucker's like a 4 string guitar, but for a REAL MAN. I played for about half an hour, then picked up my guitar, and it felt like a frekin' toy.
Quote by Captain Insano
Interesting, Bad Tone, Bad Fret Access, Poor Construction, and at the same price as the much superior Squier or Ibanez starter basses, what's not to love?

I like it, just needs a bit of after purchase work
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
^+1

Quote by thefitz

Good, and when you get a real bass, that's where it'll stay!

na, it doesnt stay there, i use it when i need a punkish tone. Like straight ride-tha-E punk. Otherwise i use my Stingray 5
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by the.spine.surfs
But I picked one up anyway. Cruddy Affinity P Bass, but it was free. Can any of you lovely bassists in here offer me some pointers on the guitar-to-bass adaptation? Thicker strings, no pick, I believe, but hell if I know. I'll admit my ignorance. Practice excercises? Good tabs to start with?

I did consider putting this in the basics forum, but frankly, I'd rather ret responses from dedicated bassists.

Thanks in advance for the help, mates.

The Epi valve junior can handle the bass, though your speakers might not be able to however.

For adjusting, practice chromatic scales in the first position (first 4 frets) start at slow tempos if you're having difficulty, and slowly build up your speed. Use a metronome if you have one. If not, use an online one.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Most multi-effect proceccors let you run a headphone from the out-put. So you can put your bass into the input and let it go from there.

Or, you could buy a cheap guitar amp at a local pawn shop (assuming they don't have a cheap bass amp) with a headphone jack, go from there. If the guitar amp is a steal (and I've seen them for $30 or less around here) you probably wouldn't have much to lose from playing it without headphones
Quote by christianbassis

get a Spector and be done with it ^_^
Epi LP Custom SILVERBURST

Quote by thefitz

Hold it like you hold a Crunchwrap Supreme.

Official Chiodos Fan of the Bass Militia
PM DinkyDaisy to Join