Hey dudes, I currently live in the UK, but I really want to attend an American University. Unfortunately, fees for out of state residents to UCLA (my preference) are massive! So i'm thinking of marrying a Californian in order to gain citizenship, thereby reducing these fees by 2/3rds!

So... A good idea? Or dangerous

Cheers dudes,

Ben
danger i'd say.

how much are the fees compared to over here?
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Well, if all goes well, UCLA is a great school. You'll enjoy it very much.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

would be awesome if you can get a hottie. but you might go to a **** you in the ass prison
Expect to pay a lot for a school like UCLA... if you can even get in. Not insulting your intelligence, just most average people can't. I'm assuming you're pretty smart though.
mmmk.
Why don't you go to college in England? Not like there's bad education there, and should be a lot cheaper.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

UCLA is like 95% instate, and they get a huge discount.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
I'm predicted ABB (A levels)... Though realistically, I hope to achieve AAB. I've heard that UCLA is very fond of students with wide ranging extra curricular interests... And that their SAT asks are not too great, definitely within my grasp!
PRE-EMTIVE STRIKE!!

Quote by jimi_hendrix_2
I really want to attend an American University.

Why????

I mean, is it worth going to all the trouble, really?
I thought the fee's only got cheaper if you lived in state? Im a US citizen in the UK and most college tuitions wer about $30000, i think ill just go to uni in the UK and do an exchange program for a year
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Out of state tuition is tough to avoid. Marrying a citizen might work but she might screw you out of everything you own too. I don't know what exactly is required to become a citizen but if you can and then you can prove financial independence you can be declared a resident of California.
I think that we, as UGers, would help each other out. So I'll tell you what I'm gonna do for you.

I have a cousin that lives in California. I'll set everything up; just come on down here, your wedding will already be in place and all that, and all that you need to do is say "I do." Sound good?

Oh, the only little problem is that my cousin's male. But I don't think that'll be a big deal, right?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Wait til the election to decide if you want to become an American.

If Giuliani wins, stay over there.
Quote by Vermintide
PRE-EMTIVE STRIKE!!

Why????

No kidding. Unless, that is, you want to have plenty of options to change your focus, because American universities let you change your major like all the time.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Thanks for the advice guys! Vermintide, I love the idea of being able to study two unrelated subjects, not possible in England. In addition, Los Angeles is one of the most happening cities in terms of music... Great climate also... I forgot to mention that UCLA has an excellent reputation!
Quote by jimi_hendrix_2
Hey dudes, I currently live in the UK, but I really want to attend an American University. Unfortunately, fees for out of state residents to UCLA (my preference) are massive! So i'm thinking of marrying a Californian in order to gain citizenship, thereby reducing these fees by 2/3rds!

So... A good idea? Or dangerous

Cheers dudes,

Ben

I don't think its that easy to become a citizen, I think there are more hoops to run through. (but then again, since there isn't a large influx of illegal English immigrants swimming across the pond, it shouldn't impossible)
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Last edited by iceman_8319 at Oct 29, 2007,
Quote by Vermintide

Why????

I agree, the universities here are as good if not better. I mean, you can hardly compare UCLA to the likes of Oxford or Cambridge. Harvard or Yale maybe.

MAYBE.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Haha! It would be a straightforward way of saving 10, 000... Oxford and Cambridge (as cities) don't offer the same opportunities to a musician... And music is something I love greater than History, though I intend to study it.
I'd suggest you what we do here.

That is, apply to a whole bunch of schools, and then see who's willing to give you scholarship money. This will work even better if you already know what your major is going to be, so that you can look for scholarships from specific departments as well as the school on the whole.

I, for example, got a scholarship based on test scores from my college, and then another audition-based scholarship from the music department. Half my tuition went up in smoke.
Death to Ovation haters!
I believe if you live there for 6 months you are automatically a legal resident, at least that's the way it works here in Florida, can anyone clear this up?
Be really smart and get a scholarship.

Or just don't bankrupt yourself with ridiculous fees and go to a British uni.
Quote by Vermintide

Why????

The university system in America is insane, so yes, it is worth it lol
My God, it's full of stars!
I'm not sure how long it is,but for an example...

Can't you just move to California for lets say, a year, and be legalized as a citizen, and then own property in California,dropping the extra costs?
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
you should also know that UCLA is really really hard to get into if you don't live in Cali, (although it might be a little easier for foreign nationals than it is for out of state americans)

Quote by Eric 666
I believe if you live there for 6 months you are automatically a legal resident, at least that's the way it works here in Florida, can anyone clear this up?

that sort of thing usually only applies to US citizens, him being British would mean that he would have to be in the US quite a bit longer.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah, something like 5 years longer! It's kind of annoying... Because if I stayed in the country for a year longer than I did when I lived in New Jersey, I would have been eligible for dual nationality. Gay!
I think to get into American universities you also need to have done the SATs. You do for Harvard and MIT anyway. Which is a bit awkward and not very foreign-student friendly.
Quote by Meths
I think to get into American universities you also need to have done the SATs. You do for Harvard and MIT anyway. Which is a bit awkward and not very foreign-student friendly.

The SATs or the ACTs. Do you not have standardized tests in the UK? The SAT is based on an IQ test, it started when they had the GI bill and they needed some way to test the returning soldiers to see where they should be allowed to go.

Anyway it doesn't test material that you learned in school, so you should be OK, but the questions can be confusing and most US students are prepared for it long before you take it. If you're going to take it, you should get a review book and study so you know what's coming.
Come to Washington State University... its not bad even for out-of-state tuition. Plus, its in beautiful eastern Washington But really if you want cheaper tuition go to a state university, not a private college, cause even if you don't come from that state, its still cheaper than most private colleges. By the way, great choice to go to an american college. Just thought I'd let you know that.
Quote by jimi_hendrix_2
Yeah, something like 5 years longer! It's kind of annoying... Because if I stayed in the country for a year longer than I did when I lived in New Jersey, I would have been eligible for dual nationality. Gay!

Yeah, but its New Jersey. Worst. Place. Ever.

Consider yourself lucky you got out when you did.
I am the Infantry.
Quote by Dreadnought
The university system in America is insane, so yes, it is worth it lol

It's certainly the best in the world, but it's not very far ahead of the UK at all, especially if you account for the differences in population size. I wouldn't recommend he go. Definitely not worth it.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born: