I've always wondered this, but I just keep forgetting to ask. How much does an average band pay? OK of course evry band is going to be different, but what affects it? Like record label, popularity, amount of live shows. How much do venues pay a band for playing there? Which band earns ****loads and which band can barely make a living?

Just curious
unless you sell some records and play some big shows then you will need a day job.
metallica used to get $1 million a show.thats all i know
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by matt92l
metallica used to get $1 million a show.thats all i know

I guess Stones made about the triple of this at their Bigger Bang tour as their tickets were over 100 dollars each.
bands today make almost EVERYTHING off merch, i know a dude whos band is signed to metal blade and he has to teach guitar lessons on the side to live comfortably
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
there was a thread like this today already. it really depends, but unless that band is a hit mainstream band, i recommend a day job.
Quote by GuyWithAGeetar
there was a thread like this today already. it really depends, but unless that band is a hit mainstream band, i recommend a day job.

ok lets say a band that doesn't say have highest media attention, but are still well known, say like Machine Head?
Quote by Jmz123
ok lets say a band that doesn't say have highest media attention, but are still well known, say like Machine Head?
Depends how much they tour.

Most people in bands aren't that rich, apart from the ones that are stupidly big.
Depends on the record label as well. If you are signed to a major label, you will have to sell more to make any, but because of the label, you might be able to sell more. If you are signed to an Indie label, you will make more per record (unless you are getting ripped) but you will have less distribution, hence selling fewer records. Merch is where its at, T shirts, patches, stickers, hats, CDs and Vinyls. Most bands that i'm into are able to tour around the country, not sure how much they make. But they seem to be able to get gas money, food, beer, and all needed amenities.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
average bands earn a lot less then most people think. I read lemmys autobiography, and he said that he has earned more money from royalties he gets paid for a few songs he wrote for ozzy then he has ever earned with motorhead.

And motorhead are a well-known band.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn