Ok so I have an Nvidia GeForce 7600GS Graphics card on my x16 PcI Express Slot.
I am wondering if I can add in another graphics card? to have 2..I'm not sure what this will do but I love the new 8800 Gt series because it is so cheap..Any Ideas?
It is SLI ready although I am very new at this since I just built my computer.
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
Quote by sadistic_monkey
For SLI, the cards have to be exactly the same. You'd notice a big difference just swapping the cards though.

Ok so putting in the new 8800 GT is worth it?
How good is my card compared to it. Also to put in the card is there going to be any noticeable driver updating stuff like that that will make me go nuts? (reinstalling xp)
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
8800 GT can handle anything out now a days very comfortable at some stupid resoloutions (1600x1200+) with all options on.

You wont need to reinstall XP just uninstall the old drivers and get the most up to date ones from the Nvidia website or from a 3rd party liek DNA or Omega drivers
If you want an 8800, I'd recommend saving up a bit more and getting a GTX card, it'll keep you going for longer due to the increased performance, at least until a few years into DX10.

If you want to stick to your current card and go SLi, make sure you get the exact same card. SLi'd 7600s should be a much cheaper, yet still somewhat decent alternative to an 8800, just don't expect to be at the forefront of new software after a year or two.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
so the more resourceful option and better solution would be to just get the 8800 swapping mine.. also how does the 7600 run for games like starcraft 2, call of duty, spore, etc.
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
Quote by Chromeproguitar
so the more resourceful option and better solution would be to just get the 8800 swapping mine.. also how does the 7600 run for games like starcraft 2, call of duty, spore, etc.

it would run fine for those sorts of games but you want to future proof yourself for stuff like crysis and all the games that come out after that
I'd get the 8800GT...it's the best that Nvidia has and should you mess around in video production, the hardware acceleration for H.264 will really come in handy. Also, the GTX is known to be a tight fit in many cases. The GT should blow your 7600GS away. Just make sure that your power supply is good enough to handle it (those rated 500W+ usually have enough power to run it, 247/152 load/idle).
For the price, there's little need to futureproof...when a significant processor comes out, you can get that.
If I were you Id wait for the next series of graphics cards. It'll be here sooner then you think and you can probably use your 7600 for a bit longer. As for sli. Youd have to get another 7600 or just 2 completely new graphics cards. But sli is intended for high resolution gaming. If you have a standard 17 inch monitor then I wouldn't get. If you got a widescreen monitor go for it.
I'd wait another month or two (8800GT is your best bet right now for price performance, it beats the GTX in many categories due to the new and technically more advanced G92 core).

Nvidia is supposed to be throwing another high end GF8800 GTS on the G92 before the end of the year that fully unlocks all 128 shader units on the G92 (possible hacks to the GT???) and is supposed to have 1 gig of GDDR3.

The G92 cores should run cooler on less power while putting out equal to or more performance than current G80 cards. The 7600 would be vastly overshadowed by the new GF8s. (No one here will really be able to say how it runs on unreleased games yet, but it will probably work to some extent).

I think I need to consider retiring my 7900GT soon, but I kinda feel like waiting until the next graphics refresh to just build a new system.
The 7600 is still a great card and can play fairly nice the new games. Why don't you stick with it until the prices of the 8800 drop more?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

The 7600GS is a neutered 7600GT. You're probably thinking of the latter, which is a superb all rounder card. The former is meant more for HTPC applications.
ok based on your responses I think I am going to stick with the 7600 and then maybe get dual 8800 or something...
Also another questions
for the processor I have the AMD 2.0 dual
basically I bought it when it was overpriced...
could I really get a faster one and not have to reinstall windows?>
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
Quote by Chromeproguitar
ok based on your responses I think I am going to stick with the 7600 and then maybe get dual 8800 or something...
Also another questions

You probably won't have to reinstall window when upgrading just your cpu. I wouldn't bother upgrading it though, the one you have should work for a bit. Starcraft 2, Call of Duty (i assume you mean part 4) and spores???

those games aren't even out yet

But get a 8800gt , that should last you awhile, I've had a 7900gt for over a year and it's still rocking. How much RAM do you have? You should have about 2-4gigs to play the new games coming out.
Statistics can be used to prove anything.

14% of people know that.
Quote by Chromeproguitar
Also another questions

There's little need to get two cards. By the time the second one is affordable, it'd be a better option to just get a new card.

And, well, ATi's response better be good. Hopefully it will set the standard, unlike the 2900XT from last time. But to be honest, there's always a new card just around the corner...you'll just have to choose a time to get the great graphics and stick with it.