if im gonna buy a bass for around $200, what should i get, i've been playing guitar for 4 years and now we need a bassist and can't find one, im just gonna buy one so either of us guitarists can play so i need an amp too but i don't really want to spend any money. Is one of those bass/amp packages any good at all for just jamming along with a guitar?
what genre
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
If I were you I'd buy a nice Squier bass and look for a decent amp at a pawn shop. The Squier bass "packages" are total crap.
To be honest Ebay can be an awesome place to get cheap instruments, I got a 1980's SGC Nanyo (Japan made, so it's not crap like the new ones) for £89 around $170 or so. It's good for pretty much. Perhaps not the Heavy Metal stuff though. It's worth checking ebay though.
Quote by ChemicalFire
To be honest Ebay can be an awesome place to get cheap instruments, I got a 1980's SGC Nanyo (Japan made, so it's not crap like the new ones) for £89 around $170 or so. It's good for pretty much. Perhaps not the Heavy Metal stuff though. It's worth checking ebay though.

Yeah eBay! i got my Stiletto for $400

But otherwise...Musician's Friend has some packages for about 200.

EDIT: Like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-EB0-Gig-Rig-Bass-Player-Pack?sku=517236X

Plus^^^ it looks cool
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Last edited by TheBassMan3 at Oct 30, 2007,
Peavey Millenium BXP. I have a fiver i got for $200 and it's amazing. It's been through a couple of metal shows and church sets every other week for almost a year and it's held up beautifully. the only thing bugging me is the volume knob feeling a little loose, but i can just replace the pot.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Wow

You won't be gigging for 200 with bass unless you rob someone or an equivalent felony

Just starter packs by themselves go for almost 300. Really used, probably get a fair bass for 150. 50 bucks isn't enough for an amp that will withstand gigging. Keep in mind for bass you'll want at least 100, if not more.