What is a chord progression?

Also, what scales would go good with a certain chord progression? (For example. A, G, F)
A chord progression is a sequence of chords.

Usually a chord progression is made from a scale, so using that scale will work well.

If they are major chords, then it is not diatonic and no single scale will cover it.

If it is Am G F (a common progression) then the A minor scale will work over it.

If you haven't already, I suggest you RTFS
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Most commonly found in pop, rock and metal music, a chord progression is a linear pattern of chords that the piece follows. Many songs often contain a few different chord progressions.

A chord progression could be any set of 2 or more chords. Finding a scale to work with over top of those chords really depends on what kind of feeling you are trying to represent.

Your progression, A G F, doesn't fit any scale perfectly, but I'd probably choose D minor harmonic.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Thanks guys for your detailed answers. I'll check out the thread.

Also, how did you guys find out which scale to use in a chord progression?
Look at the notes that make up the chords and try to match them to the notes in scales. Or a quicker way is to learn about the chords in major and minor keys (and eventually modes).
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums