Does anyone else lift weights and find that it hinders your playing/practicing/progression with guitar? It seems that weeks in which I lift, it takes about 45 minutes to even warm up or to feel like I have control over my hands. Also, I can't play as long before my hands start to really hurt because they are tired. I seem to be going backwards in terms of ability.

However, when I take a week off from lifting (which i do about once every 10 weeks), my playing abilities take a noticeable leap foward, even if I cut my practice time down. So my big question is...

Is there any way I can keep lifting weights but keep my hands from being so sore (or for that matter my whole body)?

Suggested supplements (other than steroids which would help my problem anyways), training methods, anything will help. However, I know to relax my hands, arm and shoulder while playing, and hand strengthening stuff. Also, if anyone suggests not doing deadlifts, I will ignore it, I love the deadlift!
I'm hungry.
12 oz curls.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
just do loads of stretching after u do weights then u dont get this problem
well it wrks for me
Quote by Trefellin
I got into a fight with Handel once, he baroque my nose.

Quote by leeb rocks
Seth Govans your guitar teacher? God. am I jealous.
Obviuosly it mihg take longer. Lifting weights rips your muscles. It happens to me all the time. Take as much protein shakes as possible to flood your mmuscles and hence theyll take not nearly half as long to rebuild.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
keep em in warm water for about 10-15 minutes after u r finishedlifting, stops them cramping up.

I usually strect between each set of whatever. Dead lifts will strain your hands alot though. As it is the point of the body attached to the weight.and deadlifts use alot of weight. Try wristbands or tape your wrists up well and good beforehand.
Gear:
Quote by thewho65
I do, but I don't play guitar immediately after, silly.

You seriously need to pick another colour. You're giving people AIDS in their eyes

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by ItWillDo
You seriously need to pick another colour. You're giving people AIDS in their eyes

Quote by ShaunFrusciante
bignuts20 the name says it all

Quote by SailorJeff
You can sig me all you want but I still have a small penis.

R.I.P. James "The Rev" Sullivan
Quote by ItWillDo

I'm giving people..............AIDS!?

Oh yeah
I don't play right after I workout, I always play before working out. Also, even on days when I don't lift, my hands still feel like rocks.

Thanx for the wrist wraps advice, I planned on doing that when I do deadlifts but I never got around to buying wrist wraps (other bills to pay) Also, protein drinks to help me but they get expensive. BTW the cheapest I've seen it is at www.trueprotein.com if anyone is interested in some cheap protein(it gets expensive I know)
I'm hungry.
Seriously, thats never happened to me. My guitar playing doesnt get hindered by anything except really cold hands or stuff of that nature, never soreness...Eat more protein so you heal up faster
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
SERENDIPITY, are you doing high weight low reps, cuz that has a big impact on your nerves and your muscles, and could be why it helps. Stuff like cardio seems to help too, and compound exercises (like squats, deadlifts, benchpress and cross body rows in a crouched position) definately help you neurogically (sp). and cardio helps your blood flow. Also, when doing light excercise right before playing, compared to heavy seems to help too.
I'm hungry.
Quote by Serendipity
Honestly, sometimes I play right after I work out. It seems to me that I play better. I have no idea why.

+1
Quote by ShaunFrusciante
bignuts20 the name says it all

Quote by SailorJeff
You can sig me all you want but I still have a small penis.

R.I.P. James "The Rev" Sullivan
Quote by ConfusedBirdman
I don't play right after I workout, I always play before working out. Also, even on days when I don't lift, my hands still feel like rocks.

Thanx for the wrist wraps advice, I planned on doing that when I do deadlifts but I never got around to buying wrist wraps (other bills to pay) Also, protein drinks to help me but they get expensive. BTW the cheapest I've seen it is at www.trueprotein.com if anyone is interested in some cheap protein(it gets expensive I know)

You can make protein shakes yourself,i mean it might tase wank but it saves up, and i usually have alot of the **** in them lying around the place.

What i like to do is make scrambled eggs,seal them in a large drinks container and then whip it untill its actually runny. Then its drinkable

But yeah, get a blender, and ram protein filled stuff finto it. Cheaper! But the expensive stuff is expensive for a reason, becaus eits awesome.

Btw you dont actually need to buy wrist wraps. Buy a rolll of masking tape, and get it on your wrists.
Gear:
Quote by x0rsist
You can make protein shakes yourself,i mean it might tase wank but it saves up, and i usually have alot of the **** in them lying around the place.

What i like to do is make scrambled eggs,seal them in a large drinks container and then whip it untill its actually runny. Then its drinkable

But yeah, get a blender, and ram protein filled stuff finto it. Cheaper! But the expensive stuff is expensive for a reason, becaus eits awesome.

Btw you dont actually need to buy wrist wraps. Buy a rolll of masking tape, and get it on your wrists.

Ha! thats pretty hardcore, I did that math one day, turns out it is actually cheaper going the powder route. Steak, chicken BREASTS and stuff is pretty expensive. And as far as your eggs into a blender, I'll stick to fryin 6 eggs a day.
I'm hungry.
Just wait a little. You get a little lame in your hands. It's okay, after half an hour to an hour it's back to normal. Like when you chop wood xD.

This will only apply to me if i lift heavy weight. Like for being explosive. If it's endurance I don't really feel anything, at all.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black

Well seing as my mother buys truckloads of the stuff, I may aswell use it all up! But yeahIhardley everbuy the properstuff,i improvise. Masking tape, loads of belts instead of the proper large belt (although gyms usualyprovideone if you go to one). Cheap skate i guess.

We also have a fairly ingenious device, ( ive have no idea whatit is or where it came from) that takes the shell off eggs in a second,so i bring alot of boiled eggs to the gym with me.
Gear:
I usually have a 45G protein drink after working out, an apple, then w/in 20 minutes, a chicken breast and some bread and milk. Of course, then I go straight to work. You think I should up my protein shakes or real food protein. BTW, I eat constantly after I get to work, usually more milk, bagels, pb sandwich, and milk (mind you I only work for 4 hours) Then when I get home I have 3 eggs and go to bed. You think I should up the protein then, or right after waking up? When I wake up I have 3 eggs, a bagel, milk, and bacon (I put the eggs and bacon on the bagel, its like eating mcdonalds but for cheap....er....and more delicious)
I'm hungry.
Definatley at night. Then your body has all night with all the resources possible to get to workon your muscles! Welli cant think why your guitaring isnt as good as your definatley taking about 12345 times the amount of protein i do! Do oyur arms begin to feel dull at any point? Like when your playing you have less control over your arms and they wont go as fast? I sometimes get that, but after about a 10 minute massage and stretching them a little its fine,and im really pumped up to play.
Gear:
yeah, but even when I take a break and massage and stretch, they feel better, but the loss of control is still definately present, I feel as though I might as well stop practicing, but usually instead I bust out the metronome at about 70 bpm and take it SLOW. I do that for about 15 minutes and really focus on relaxing and making very small pick movements, focusing on accuracy and playing very clean.

When my arm and not my wrist and hands start to hurt, I usually sit on a tall stool or stand up, instead of sitting at a desk chair which makes my arm less tired cuz I don't have to hold it up as much
I'm hungry.
BTW, if I can afford it, I usually end up getting about 225g of protein throughout the day, ats when I see big improvements on weight. However on a normal day I usually get about 130-150, thats when my strength starts to dwindle.
I'm hungry.
Sounds strange. Possibly your ligaments are stiffer or looser or something from all those deadlifts. I cant say i have any idea how to solve that though, well i can say that i think taping up your wrists and possibly wearing elbow supports would help a bit. How much do you do? maybe your overdoing whats healthy for one session?
Gear:
na, I do a pretty managable weight, 3 sets of 6 reps with about 325 for deadlifts, and I only do them once a week (like all other lifts) And I've been looking at elbow supports but for a baseball injury, it doesn't bother me at all while playing guitar
I'm hungry.
Quote by ConfusedBirdman
SERENDIPITY, are you doing high weight low reps, cuz that has a big impact on your nerves and your muscles, and could be why it helps. Stuff like cardio seems to help too, and compound exercises (like squats, deadlifts, benchpress and cross body rows in a crouched position) definately help you neurogically (sp). and cardio helps your blood flow. Also, when doing light excercise right before playing, compared to heavy seems to help too.

Sometimes I do high weight/low reps for muscle mass. I'm too tired to play after I do that. I usually wait a bit and I'm fine. When I do low weight/high reps for definition, it seems to make me play better. I think in both instances, I can bend a whole lot better. Possibly because I'm used to using excessive force (for the guitar). Not sure
Yeah i do 6 repsof anything like that myself,sometimes 8! Well it seems to be something related to your body alone,cant say it happens to me. Call a doctor if it gets worse at any point. you might be getting some form of carpal tunnel syndrome maybe.
Gear:
I think I'm going to try some heavy stretching 3 times a day instead of just once before I lift. Wulp, off to the gym.
I'm hungry.