does anyone out here like them?
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
I have all there albums, but never really gave it a thorough listen.
Quote by psychodelia
Yes.

indeed.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
More like respect. John Maclaughlin (spelling?) was an absolute speed merchant. I don't think anybody was playing as fast as him back then. Others surfaced eventually - Steve Vai, Steve Morse, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, etc. But there is a certain chill in their playing that always limited the public response. I find their speed blisteringly unattractive, even as I envy them their chops. Jimi Hendrix couldn't play with the speed of these guys, but what he did play was much more emotional and thrilling. Eddie van Halen, to me, has the best combination of speed and feel. A wonderful guitar player.
I really like Inner Mounting Flame, and to a lesser degree, Birds of Fire. I haven't heard too much else though. I can see how not many people would like them; I think they have a very specific style, and fortunately it kinda fills a hole for me, ya know? Its a type of music I've been looking for but hadn't really found yet. I've heard more of McLaughlin's solo stuff, and it might be a bit easier to listen to and get into I think. Overall I love TIMF, I think its a great prog/fusion album.
i have inner mounting flame, though i don't listen to it very often. probably because i forget how good it is, because whenever i do listen to it, i love it.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
Thought that I'd resurrect this thread, since I'm on a Mahvishnu binge at the moment. "Inner Mounting Flame" is a phenomenal album. I mean, you've got the lightning fast guitar attack of John McLaughlin, the equally fast violin a la Jerry Goodman, excellent piano from the one and only Jan Hammer, Rick Laird on bass, and the legendary (and severely under-appreciated) drumming skill of Billy Cobham.

You've got it all. It's the sophisticated man's Deep Purple.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
A few guys that I know (and a couple that I don't) learned and performed Inner Mounting Flame last year. With a few exceptions, it was ridiculously tight, even the dual guitar/violin lines.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Maet
I have all there albums, but never really gave it a thorough listen.

Hey buddy, learn how to... Oh shit... that's me!
Mahavishnu Orchestra is one of my favorite jazz fusion groups, mostly due to my utmost respect for Mr. McLaughlin.

The group doesn't seem very well-known (especially nowadays), but Gov't Mule sampled "Eternity's Breath" on their song "Trane" from their debut live album Live at the Roseland Ballroom.
i only have their first two albums, but i really like em alot....especially McLaughlin, his music is out there!!

im gettin three more of their albums soon.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by soggycrow
I find their speed blisteringly unattractive, even as I envy them their chops.

Well put, good sir!
Hey, I'm Mike.
They do have slow, moody pieces. But it is true that they are famous for the amazingly fast jazz musicianship.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.