before anyone starts posting stuff like "cliffs better"...... I KNOW!!!

but does anyone actually think he were awesome with metallica?

dispite him from being an arsehole with them
whats he doing now anyway? is he still in that totally awesome band...what were they called...supernova...wow they rocked
Newsted wasn't an assho**. It was Metallica that was an assho** to Newsted. It's said in a ton of interviews that they treated him really bad and hazed the hell out of him.

Feed my eyes, can you sew them shut?
Jesus christ, deny your maker
He who tries, will be wasted
Feed my eyes now youve sewn them shut
Newsted was amazing in Metallica. He was such a huge fan of them before that you could really tell how much effort he was putting into it. Metallica were assholes to him though, thats why there is barely any bass on And Justice For All. As great as Cliff was I don't think there could have been a better replacement than Jason who was talented and loved the band.
He was a fantastic backing vocalist. They miss that nowadays. They also should have been nicer to him
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
I like when he does the vocals of Seek and Destroy live that was pretty sweet. Lets say Metallica going down the suckage road didn't help him.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
He was a good vocalist and a spirited member of the band, but his bass lines 95% of the time were pure pocket and were there only to do a menial task (as opposed to be a hook in a song), and Cliff's bass lines stood on their own and were just better. That's my main beef with Jason - Metallica scared him quiet. Most of the time he was too scared to stray off of Lars' kick.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Jason was Awesome, he had awesome stage presence, he was a true lover of music, and he gave awesome backup vocals. He also is not an asshole, he was just misunderstood.
he was awesome, so is Trujillo. But Cliff's shoes are hard to fill
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
i agree with fits 100%

bass=bad

but he had a VERY large contibution to the band vocally

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Deliriumbassist
IMO, Trujillo>Burton

+10, and nobody's going to start a flame war with Delirium and Fitz, are they?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

I might do it for the lulz

But I don't listen to much Metallica, but from what I've heard Newstead's stuff isn't horrible.
Quote by thefitz

FLAME FLAME FLAME

haha no i wouldent dare

haha but i will say i disagree, not knocking rob he is a damn good bassist, i jsut htink clif is better IMO

i dont think there is any real way to compare tho

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics

i dont think there is any real way to compare tho

Pretty much =P Cliff died young, but he was VERY gifted, despite his "poser guitarist" tone that he used in lots of his solo's. Two questions come to mind whenever Cliff's skill is questioned....

#1: What would he have been able to do if he hadnt died so early?
#2: When he was just chilling with nothing but him and his bass, what kind stuff did he play?

just makes you think a little bit =p
Uhh, most of Cliff's bass lines followed the guitars.

Yeah, I love Jason. The AJFA album sounds great live when you can hear the bass clearly
I used to really hate Jason...But I was a nob back then

I havnent listend to a lot of his stuff appart from the black album but I've watched vids of him live and hes pretty sweet!

Me thinks Cliff>Rob>Jason

But I dont hate any of em!
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
In utter honesty I think discussing the bass of Metallica is in of itself rather bland. Metallica is not known for it's bass, and never really had a consistant bass presence. Yes there were seperate occasions where the bass was made to stand out, such as Orion and Anesthesia, but that isn't bass working alongside the other sections in unison and equilibrium, it's evidence that Metallica couldn't utilize the harmony of the bass. And this goes for Cliff era, Newsted era, and Trujillo era.

That being said, I lost alot of respect for Metallica knowing they mistreated Newsted so much, who in live performances at least, made himself a decent presence in the band. Watch the S & M recording to see what I mean. Newsted put alot into the band and never got any love for it, from the press or the other members. In that respect I almost resent Cliff for inadvertently casting a cloud over Newsted.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by Ingsoc
In utter honesty I think discussing the bass of Metallica is in of itself rather bland. Metallica is not known for it's bass, and never really had a consistant bass presence. Yes there were seperate occasions where the bass was made to stand out, such as Orion and Anesthesia, but that isn't bass working alongside the other sections in unison and equilibrium, it's evidence that Metallica couldn't utilize the harmony of the bass. And this goes for Cliff era, Newsted era, and Trujillo era.

That being said, I lost alot of respect for Metallica knowing they mistreated Newsted so much, who in live performances at least, made himself a decent presence in the band. Watch the S & M recording to see what I mean. Newsted put alot into the band and never got any love for it, from the press or the other members. In that respect I almost resent Cliff for inadvertently casting a cloud over Newsted.

Exactly. Thank you for sharing my opinion.

None of Metallica's bassists were really that amazing. Cliff, for example, is worshipped and practically jizzed over, but there are only a few songs where he showcases his skill, and it's not THAT great. It's always the same **** over - it's almost like he only knows two riffs that are flashy.
He was a brilliant bassist- check out his solos, yet I think the bass levels were WAY too low in the black album and AJFA.

Check my sig, and join if you already haven't!
signature
I just want to say that the bass doesn't really stand out anyway on most Metallica songs so it doesnt really matter much. I do think Jason is better than Cliff was though.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50