I'm planning on making a 212 speaker cab in my cabinetry class next tri and I need some speakers. I mostly play classic rock, rock, and a sh*t load of metal. So I went to my local guitar shop and talked to the guy there and he said that I should look for the following:
-high power handling
-somewhere in the 20hz-4khz frequency range

He really didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about.
So my question is what should I be looking for in a speaker?

My price range is around $150 for both speakers so about $75-$80 a pair.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Celestions possibly?
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Get a set of ted webers.
Cheaper, and sweet.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
celestions would by way out of my price range. I've heard of ted weber but what model(s) should i look at.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
How about a part time job?

Flip a burger, sonny.

You could look at Peavey. Scorpions are pretty mean speakers. 10"s for more attack, 12's for more meat - or a combination of both?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I have a part time job but my parents make me save for college
I don't feel like spending a fortune on speakers either since this would be my first time making a cab. I just don't want it to sound like crap.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Last edited by shredzilla at Oct 29, 2007,
I've been looking around and most Eminence speakers seem to be within my budget. Are they any good and do any of the patriot or redcoat series any good for metal?
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by shredzilla
celestions would by way out of my price range. I've heard of ted weber but what model(s) should i look at.

Too bad, as a pair of V30's would probably suit you well.

Your best bet is to email Ted at Weber speakers and tell him about your project, and what sounds/styles you're looking to use it for. He'll definitely hook you up. He's got a wide variety of products, and his customer service is first rate.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

Your best bet is to email Ted at Weber speakers and tell him about your project, and what sounds/styles you're looking to use it for. He'll definitely hook you up. He's got a wide variety of products, and his customer service is first rate.

I wish I could afford the V30's but the local guitar shop wants $175 a piece. Thanks for the suggestions I definitely contact him to see what he can do.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Look on t'internet for them. They should be like $130 a piece max.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by shredzilla
I wish I could afford the V30's but the local guitar shop wants $175 a piece. Thanks for the suggestions I definitely contact him to see what he can do.

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=veteran30_12

Never tried them but some people here like them. They were recommended to me as an upgrade for a Peavey Valvekings Stack, that I never ended up getting.
Quote by shredzilla
I've been looking around and most Eminence speakers seem to be within my budget. Are they any good and do any of the patriot or redcoat series any good for metal?

Well I have a Red Fang and it's great. They have one similar to a Vintage 30, check out that one!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by slatsmania

+1000

You gotta love the Ted! Plus, they shipped my speaker incredibly fast.

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
warehouseguitar speakers are the way to go im running a 2x12 with a v30 and cl80 in it and it sounds great ( with both my vj and duncan 84/40) they make an amazing speaker comprable to celestion ( i have one in my fender to compare it to )
Quote by mercinariesgtr
warehouseguitar speakers are the way to go im running a 2x12 with a v30 and cl80 in it and it sounds great ( with both my vj and duncan 84/40) they make an amazing speaker comprable to celestion ( i have one in my fender to compare it to )

So If I decide to Build my own Extention cab for a Traynor amp (With the Vintage 30) would the v30 be a good mate or should I get an actual Vintage 30?

I know some cabs come with different kinds of speakers.....
I appreciate all the suggestions, but hears my dilemma I would only be able to afford one of the speakers most people are suggesting besides the warehouse (they seem like a scam imo). I planned on making this cab so that I could buy heads so I wanted to build the 212 to increase the power handling into the 100-150 watt range so I could buy some bigger heads in the future. Would it be safe to run a 50 watt tube amp through a speaker that has a 60 watt peak? Since I could afford one of the speakers most people suggested would it sound weird if I bought one speaker and put it in a 212 and bought a second at a later time?
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by stangconv
So If I decide to Build my own Extention cab for a Traynor amp (With the Vintage 30) would the v30 be a good mate or should I get an actual Vintage 30?

I know some cabs come with different kinds of speakers.....

the veteran 30( the warehouse one) sounds just as good if not better...never heard a trynor but its a great speaker, it really soudns good with a cl80 for a brighter sound added in there
Quote by shredzilla
I appreciate all the suggestions, but hears my dilemma I would only be able to afford one of the speakers most people are suggesting besides the warehouse (they seem like a scam imo). I planned on making this cab so that I could buy heads so I wanted to build the 212 to increase the power handling into the 100-150 watt range so I could buy some bigger heads in the future. Would it be safe to run a 50 watt tube amp through a speaker that has a 60 watt peak? Since I could afford one of the speakers most people suggested would it sound weird if I bought one speaker and put it in a 212 and bought a second at a later time?

THe poster above me has the warehouse speakers.... he doesnt think they are a scam.....
they are most definately not a scam in anyway buy some and you ll be extremely happy wtih your purchse
I'd rather buy a speaker that's more heard of than a cheap imitation speaker that's only sold on the web. It may be a good speaker but I'd rather not take my chances and buy from a company that I've heard of before. No offense to anyone that likes the warehouse speakers but I'd rather spend a little more on a speaker that has a name with a reputation associated with it.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by shredzilla
I'd rather buy a speaker that's more heard of than a cheap imitation speaker that's only sold on the web. It may be a good speaker but I'd rather not take my chances and buy from a company that I've heard of before. No offense to anyone that likes the warehouse speakers but I'd rather spend a little more on a speaker that has a name with a reputation associated with it.

Thats your call but you are the one on the budget. Lots of times though you are paying for the name....
Quote by stangconv
Thats your call but you are the one on the budget. Lots of times though you are paying for the name....

+1

Ask any remorseful Marshall MG owner.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by stangconv

You have a point there, but I really haven't heard of this speaker before and there are some eminence speakers that are in my price range that people speak pretty highly of. I also e-mailed teb weber so I'll see what they can do for me. Sometimes the name might be worth something, but a name is definitely not worth $100+ a speaker imo.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by shredzilla
You have a point there, but I really haven't heard of this speaker before and there are some eminence speakers that are in my price range that people speak pretty highly of. I also e-mailed teb weber so I'll see what they can do for me. Sometimes the name might be worth something, but a name is definitely not worth $100+ a speaker imo.

I will be trying one out within a year or so....

For 45 bucks its not that bad if it totally sucks but I have they are quite good.
$45 isn't much for most people but I'm a high schooler on a budget $45 could by all the hardware for the cab, so $45 is a bigger deal to me if I don't like them. I definitely will try them out eventually but I think I'll pass on them for now.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1