I'm going to get a new amp next month. the two I'm debating on are the Peavey 6506 or the Rivera K-tre.

from a new price perspective, the K-tre is only around $600 more than the 6505. and it sports a much better clean channel.

but the thing I'm most concerned with is the overdrive. I've watched videos on youtube, which admittedly, isn't the best in sound production. but on average, the Rivera seems to smoke the 6505.

whats your opinion of the two?
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
dont ever go by youtube vids try to find a place to try both amps side by side, but the 6505 imo cant be beat on distortion, it has way more gain then anyone on planet earth would ever need. id go withe the 6505
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
I would say the Riviera is much better in every aspect, but its the only one of the two I have played.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
I haven't heard the Rivera, but they do have a nice reputation. I own a 6505+, which kills hte 6505 in all aspects for only $100 more. I am supremely satisfied wiht the overdrive on hte 6505+, I use it for getting the dark, bassy, liqiud tones from albums like Whoracle, Heartwork, etc. I also use an MXR 10 band eq, whichi HIGLY reccomend getting no matter what amp you get. It gives you a lot flexibility with your tonal options. Use it only in the fx loop however. Whatever you decide, you absolutely NEED to try out both amps before you purchase either. especially at such a high price level.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
Quote by jimmy666page666
well if you are wanting better cleans and less gain, 6505+
if you want grab your balls gain, 6505.

Do you have any idea how negligible the less gain is?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by party_on_wayne
Whatever you decide, you absolutely NEED to try out both amps before you purchase either. especially at such a high price level.

I completely agree. but I don't have anyone near me in terms of dealers. I'm seriously in the middle of nowhere. so I'll have to utilize the 'grace period' timeline if I don't like what I get.

I'm leaning towards the Rivera. although the 6505 have gain, the seem to lack the tonal quality that the Rivera's I've heard possess. thanks for the opinions guys.

I'll check the MXR EQ. I just bought a DOD 7-band EQ that I'm pretty happy with.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
the 6505+ has much better gain than the 6505. It has an additional preamp tube. hence the plus. the only difference in the cleans are the seperate channel resonance and presence controls. the 6505 pres. and res. controls are for both channels
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
the 6505+ has much better gain than the 6505. It has an additional preamp tube. hence the plus. the only difference in the cleans are the seperate channel resonance and presence controls. the 6505 pres. and res. controls are for both channels

um no, the 5150 ( i have) and the 6505 have "Hi gain" and "low gain" inputs, and 5150II and 6505+ just have a single (low gain) input. Its not that noticable b/c they both have more gain then needed (except for me ) and the extra preamp gives it better cleans i belive not 100% but it is a little noticable if you've played a 5150 for a while using the "hi" and "low" daily.
Last edited by jimmy666page666 at Oct 29, 2007,
Quote by party_on_wayne

heh, no.
The extra preamp valve gives it more headroom- meaning it has sliiiightly less preamp gain and sliiiightly (more noticeable than the gain change) nicer cleans.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I kno that guy has a 6505+ and doens't know much about it. I sit there and study my 5150 for hours. (lol jk i have better things to do like watch oprah, the young and restless, only 9 more days of suspention left! whohoo!)
The Riviera is a high level pro-standard amp that'll blow you away, the K-Tre has more gain than you know what to do with, but without ever turning to mush, and its built like a brick on top of that. If you've got the cash definitely go for that one.
I've got to do the obligatory Mark IV suggestion, because it seems like you're in that price range, as well as a VHT of some sort, if you're worried about gain.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Rivera K-tre 100%. It's worth the extra cash. The clean channel absolutely dominates the 6505 to start with, and imo the high gain does as well. I has a lot more note definition that the 6505, which was relatively muddy when I got to play one. I have a Rivera KR7 on the way, and would reccomend a Rivera to someone in a heartbeat.