i recently purchased a dunlop cry baby GCB 95 to play through me gibson les paul standard and i have since been through 2 of them. the first one i bought was shorting out evertime i rocked the pedal back and fourth. the volume would also jump increasingly high wen i would play certain chords with my amp on clean with the pedal in the back position(it doesnt increase volume in the toe position). i returned that one and got a brand new one. this new pedal now has hardly any range doesnt matter where u position the pedal it either sounds like its up or down. and this new one also gives massive feed back wen i play an open E string. has anyone had any of these problems? is it mabey a defected line up>? or are dunlop wah wahs just **** and make a $3000 guitar sound like a squier?
Return it and try a different wah maybe.
Cry Babys aren't super-high build quality.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
that particular model, yes
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
that particular model, yes

im guessing cause it doesnt have fassel electronics like the GCB 95F wich does along with the 535Q
I'm no electronics expert so i don;t know WHY, all I know is the gcb95 sucks tone big time, has a really poor sweep and can barely be made out with high gain
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i have a les paul standard faded wit the burstbucker pros in it which im sure u all know sounds AMAZING ... i run that through an overdrive pedal then the wah ... it honestly makes it sound so scratchy and flat.. i love the way the wah sounds wen u work with it but its pissen me off soo bad that i hit open E and i get this ringing sound and i cant set the damn thing in a central fixed position.. if i do it has that weird tone and if i push it a little bit down it goes right to that scratchy flat sound, and it didnt do this right out of the box.. 4 days of playing with it and it started doing this tonight... im thinkin i should get the 95 F with the fassel electronics... do u think wit the 95F it will suck away the tone like this one....
Quote by Ozzy_4_eva
im guessing cause it doesnt have fassel electronics like the GCB 95F wich does along with the 535Q

The Fasel is just the inductor, it's nothing really magical. If anything I'd say the Classic Crybaby (GCB-95F) is worse than the standard Original Crybaby.

The poor range is due to a number of things, all of which can be changed with some simple mods. I can go into more details if you like, or you can check out the wah modding thread.

What kind of wah tone are you after?
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
The Fasel is just the inductor, it's nothing really magical. If anything I'd say the Classic Crybaby (GCB-95F) is worse than the standard Original Crybaby.

The poor range is due to a number of things, all of which can be changed with some simple mods. I can go into more details if you like, or you can check out the wah modding thread.

What kind of wah tone are you after?

please tell me how i can mod it? im after slash tone ... which i know is extremley difficult with the equipment i have but i mean i dont want it to be EXACT.. just somewat close
is there a way i can keep some of my guitars original tone with this pedal?
Quote by Ozzy_4_eva
please tell me how i can mod it? im after slash tone ... which i know is extremley difficult with the equipment i have but i mean i dont want it to be EXACT.. just somewat close
is there a way i can keep some of my guitars original tone with this pedal?

First thing I'd do is make sure the pot is indexed correctly, this could actually be a big part of your issue right now. Next few mods should really improve things... Bump the Q (vocal) resistor up to 100k, you'll notice how much more vocality it gets. Lower the gain/bass resistor to 330ohms. Change the mids resistor to 2.2k. Just with those three changes you should notice a pretty large difference in the tone and sweep.

To increase the physical range cut off those rubber stoppers, especially the one on the heel.

You can also change the sweep cap (the stock value is just fine though), inductor, transistors, the pot, and convert to true bypass which will kill the tone suckage when the wah is off. Once again if you want more details on those changes just ask, or go to the wah modding thread.

When you say you want to retain your guitars original tone, do you mean when the pedal is on or when its off?

Look on this site if you're confused on which parts are what or post a pic of yours I can label them. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/wah.html
im a big amature wen it comes to these electrical mods... i want the original tone wen the pedal is down so im guessing thats on... i dont exactly feel comfterble opening up the pedal and screwing around with it? wat did u mean wen u said make sure the pot is indexed? and wen u say increase the Q and lower the gain/bass resistor and change the mids resistor to 2.2 do i need to solder anything? or do i need wire or parts of any kind or is it just like knobs inside there that i turn? lol im tellin you this is all japaneese to me at this point but i know wit some info i can master these things
Quote by Ozzy_4_eva
im a big amature wen it comes to these electrical mods... i want the original tone wen the pedal is down so im guessing thats on... i dont exactly feel comfterble opening up the pedal and screwing around with it? wat did u mean wen u said make sure the pot is indexed? and wen u say increase the Q and lower the gain/bass resistor and change the mids resistor to 2.2 do i need to solder anything? or do i need wire or parts of any kind or is it just like knobs inside there that i turn? lol im tellin you this is all japaneese to me at this point but i know wit some info i can master these things

This site explains the indexing, it's called the easy range adjustment on there: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm

For the resistor changes you'll need to solder and you'll also need the new resistors.
there is alot of issues with my GCB-95F, and it is EXTREEMLY hard to mod due to the fact that everything is top-mounted on the board. and besides, it allready has true bypass and a fasel inductor, so most of the work is already finished. if you are realy willing to mod your GCB-98F, you have got to have alot of soldering skill and luck. if one of the peices is soldered wrong you're had. it is possible though, being that i have successfully modded mine with a little know-how of the circuit. and that site above (sry i havent figured out quotes yet, its my first post) :

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm

it doesnt have anything on the GCB-95F, but you can use some of the mods to figure out what goes where.
Last edited by Bushor2011 at May 15, 2008,
I have a GCB-95 and it's a piece of crap. I used it as the first pedal in the chain and it hardly sounds like anything useful. I'm using an older Morley Wah and it sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll mod the Crybaby one day.