Page 1 of 2
well, i was loking for a good half stack 1000 and under and i ofund this one...id perfer tubes over solid state..but solid state is fine too

head: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RH150DG3-G3-Series-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=480338

cab:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RS412XC-4x12-Cabinet?sku=480756
is this good, crap or ok?

if you guys got any other suggestions under 1000 plz postie
a solid state half stack is crap value 99% of the time.

what music are you into?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Take that money and spend it on a good tube combo. You can always pick up a 412 later if you need it.
yeah go with a tube combo you dont need a half-stack to gig.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
metal and stuff along those lines...i should have said that
XD
but i have an ml-2 metal core pedal and an ibanez ts9 tubescreamer so distortion doesnt have to be crazy insane...but kleen has to be good
effects need to be good too
o0o and i will be gigging alot
well, randall's are the best solid-state amps out there, but you can get a higher end one.
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
edit: thank you.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

used 5150 combo?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^ 60 watts is plenty to gig on. ive gigged my 100 watt marshall on half setting (50 watts), and i could drown a drummer
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
this looks mad good
and seems weird cuz its only 60 watts...
w/e i like this one

ha, well, 60watts coming from a tube amp is still deafeningly loud. i'm pretty sure you'll never have to turn that thing past half.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by senor_penguin
well, randall's are the best solid-state amps out there, but you can get a higher end one.

Randalls do make good solid state ones but the ones he listed are crap. The Crate Flexwave had a much better, and more real of a tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
well the thing about tube amps is that there like twice as lound as solid states and they sound bettor to so id say go with the B-52
Quote by MESAexplorer
Randalls do make good solid state ones but the ones he listed are crap. The Crate Flexwave had a much better, and more real of a tone.

i've always found myself avoiding them when i see them. they really don't sound the same as the other crate gt series? i thought the preamp was the same, just new cosmetics and such.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Honestly, should you ever get a halfstack, I say you should spend at least $1000 on the head alone. Not many heads under that price range are worth it, aside from a few used gems and a B-52 of some sort.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i've always found myself avoiding them when i see them. they really don't sound the same as the other crate gt series? i thought the preamp was the same, just new cosmetics and such.

I found the flexwave to be quite impressive being the crate hater that I am. Blew the randall out of the water. If you get a randall, buy either a V2 or one of the all tube MTS series.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Say Ocean
Haha how did I know everyone would say "screw that get a tube combo"

Can't go wrong with simplification. It's worked for 50 years, why woudln't it work now. Digital will have its time and place, right now it's taking it's first steps.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Say Ocean
Haha how did I know everyone would say "screw that get a tube combo"

'Cause we're right? It's' the only logical response really. I'm just waiting for a dumbass to come in here and reenact my sig.
Ben
I'd say go with the B-52 ST-60A and an Avatar cabinet.

If your going to get a half stack, you may as well get something half-decent
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by mrmarc772
yup go big or go home as some would say

My point has been proven...

I can leave now.
Ben
Quote by MESAexplorer
I found the flexwave to be quite impressive being the crate hater that I am. Blew the randall out of the water. If you get a randall, buy either a V2 or one of the all tube MTS series.

hmm, interesting. i guess i should try it out next time... just thinkin i'd feel like a noob playing through another crate ss halfstack

but it seems like it's worth a try anyway.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by muffinman123192
My point has been proven...

I can leave now.

haha, good call!

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, I know many of you may choose a good 1x12 or 2x12 combo over a half-stack, but there seems to be several pretty decent <$1,000, all-tube, half-stack options out there these days. And if someone wants a half-stack because they also "look bitchin'," what's wrong with that?

• Randall RH50T 50-Watt all-tube head $529 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.
• Peavey Windsor 100W all-tube head $399 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.
• Peavey ValveKing 100-Watt all-tube head $499 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.

Reported to have "less gain" than above, and perhaps designed more for blues-ey stuff (definitely, in the case of the Epiphone), and not necessarily for metal, but may still be worth checking out:

• Epiphone SoCal 50-Watt all-tube head $499 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.
• Crate V33H 33-Watt all-tube head $399 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 30, 2007,
I just want to say this, and its coming from the owner of an all-tube amp.

Everybody always says tubes are better, but this can be an opinion. I've heard many SS amps, and thought they sounded great -- different, but great nonetheless. Look at amps like the roland Jazz chorus, its an excellent amp and solid state. why? Because people aren't looking for it to sound like a tube amp, so they give it a fairer assessment than other solid states.

Solid States can be good. I've heard and liked crate amps (even ones everyone here says are horrible), as well as other brands (peavey, randall etc.).

sure, tubes are warmer, but a nice tube preamp on top of a solid state adds warmth too, and it blends the strong points of both SS and Tube designs.

but perhaps you don't want a warm sound. Maybe you want either a heavily saturated gain tone (I played on a crate GT1200H head, and it gave me the thick gain I've been looking for, I'll probably buy one myself) or a cold, sharp, piercing tone.

maybe you want ultra-clean sound at the highest of volumes. Perhaps your looking for bass-like punch out of an amp (cranked SS amps offer too much punch on clean IMO, but maybe someone wants that)

everyone always says tubes are better, but are they really? There are strong and weak points to each type of amp, and I think its important to realize that.

Hell, one limitation of tube amps is a lack of versatility. Sure, you can plug a high-gain peddle into a low-gain amp, but it won't sound great. Hell, if you load a good SS amp with peddles (digital or analog) they will sound great for anything. Different than a tube, but suitable for the style.

Load a good distortion peddle and effects into a Jazz Chorus, and you will see, an amp built for ultra-cleans can have the exact same quality for ultra-high gain with a Solid state. From my experience SS amps react better to distortion peddles by a lot, and make cheap ones sound more expensive.

another problem with tubes is volume -- you literally can't get low and get good overdrive for practice levels on anything above a 30-watt tube amp. But you can get a SS amp that can sound great at low volumes and good at high ones for even the heaviest of distorted sounds. I think this is a big issue if you live in an apartment, and can't afford two seperate amps for practice and gigging.

not to mention that solid state amps can be cheaper, and even if there is a sound difference, it isnt that much for the audience to notice. Listen, if you need a trained ear to hear difference in tone, it is negligible. The audience will hear no difference -- your ears my be trained but theirs sure arent.

Hell, if I took a bogner Uberschall, and a Mesa Dual Recto, and played master of puppets or enter sandman on both of them (assuming they have similar settings), the audience wouldn't go nuts over the difference. Most wouldnt notice, and those that did probably wouldnt care about it at all.

thats just my 2 cents on SS amps. Although I absolutely despise modeling amps -- I want an amp that works like an amp, not one that tells me how to sound.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by spiroth10
Everybody always says tubes are better, but this can be an opinion. I've heard many SS amps, and thought they sounded great -- different, but great nonetheless. Look at amps like the roland Jazz chorus, its an excellent amp and solid state. why? Because people aren't looking for it to sound like a tube amp, so they give it a fairer assessment than other solid states.
All good and valid points, spiroth. I think (and when I "think," watch out—things could get a little dicey) it comes down to two general approaches to sound design that guitarists typically take. Neither method being "right" or "wrong":

• Pre-create your sound (either with a preamp + effects processor, or your favorite assortment of pedals), and merely "amplify" that pre-processed sound though an SS amp.

• Do your primary sound-shaping with an all-tube amp, using outboard effects as "accents" to the primary sound-shaping, created by the amp.

But you made your point best, I think, with the Roland Jazz Chorus example. An excellent example to illustrate your argument. Sound design is an infinitely complex art. And art has many paths.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 30, 2007,
^ Wow, nicely put! I don't agree with quite a bit of it, but bloody well argued.
There's a lot of tube snobbery at the moment though in this case I think it's justified;there's plenty of alternatives available at the same price (eg. that B-52). However, loads of companies are making poor-quality SS halfstacks simply 'cause they know people will pay for the image....

Fortunately, now there are proper valve amps available in almost every price range - so the only reason for buying a tranny amp is when you've made the informed decision that it's what you need, and not just what you can afford!
^ +10 to LEVEL4

thanks

You can just run straight through an SS amp too, many artists have done it in the past (dimebag and herman lee being the most common references)

it just pisses me off to no end that everyone immediately moves from SS to tube without even wondering if SS is what was wanted all along.

I love tube amps, but I also love SS amps. I've owned/played through many of both by now, and I definitely think there are reasons why a person may want either type of amp.

I say go play through a bunch of heads, and pick the one YOU like. Do it with a clear mind, not through the lens of "I need a tube combo" or "SS halfstack" or "marshall" or "peavey"

go into the shop saying "I need an amp" and try them all for their sound.

people who go in buying $1000+ amps might be making the same mistake as people buying a Marshall MG100DFX (overpriced for what it is) -- that mistake is buying an amp (good, bad, great or horrid) that doesn't do exactly what they want, doesn't provide their ideal tone, and could've paid less to get something closer to what they really wanted.

Hell, I'm guilty of this on all my amp purchases, I love my classic 30, but I still want a screaming high gain amp -- something I would actually use more than the tones, however beautiful, of the classic 30 (but I do love the amp very much, and won't sell it yet lol).

I just want people to go in with a clear mind and get what they want/need.

People would be surprised what does/doesn't have good tone if they opened their minds and just let go of their old predispositions.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10

sure, tubes are warmer, but a nice tube preamp on top of a solid state adds warmth too, and it blends the strong points of both SS and Tube designs.

Disagree, the pleasing tube sound most people prefer actually comes from the Power section, which is also responsible for the higher perceived volume and treble rolloff. Although discontinued, the better sounding hybrids were those that included a SS preamp and tube poweramp, like the Musicman amps and the first peavey hybrid.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by LEVEL4
Well, I know many of you may choose a good 1x12 or 2x12 combo over a half-stack, but there seems to be several pretty decent <$1,000, all-tube, half-stack options out there these days. And if someone wants a half-stack because they also "look bitchin'," what's wrong with that?

• Randall RH50T 50-Watt all-tube head $529 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.
• Peavey Windsor 100W all-tube head $399 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.
• Peavey ValveKing 100-Watt all-tube head $499 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.

Reported to have "less gain" than above, and perhaps designed more for blues-ey stuff (definitely, in the case of the Epiphone), and not necessarily for metal, but may still be worth checking out:

• Epiphone SoCal 50-Watt all-tube head $499 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.
• Crate V33H 33-Watt all-tube head $399 USD + 4x12 cab of your choice.

Ah yes, the Epi So Cal. I always forget to mention it. They have a pretty good tone, somewhat dark. Feels like a recto with a lot of sag but lacking in overall gain. I prefer these a lot over the valvekings. I'm sure you could get some good metal tones with a distortion pedal, possibly with just an overdrive pedal.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Reincaster
Disagree, the pleasing tube sound most people prefer actually comes from the Power section, which is also responsible for the higher perceived volume and treble rolloff. Although discontinued, the better sounding hybrids were those that included a SS preamp and tube poweramp, like the Musicman amps and the first peavey hybrid.

This is true for my hybrids but the Randall V2 has a ton of warmth, and a real tube feeling gain channel. Definatly worth checking out if you plan on spending around $1,200 for a head.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Ah yes, the Epi So Cal. I always forget to mention it. They have a pretty good tone, somewhat dark. Feels like a recto with a lot of sag but lacking in overall gain. I prefer these a lot over the valvekings. I'm sure you could get some good metal tones with a distortion pedal, possibly with just an overdrive pedal.
Really? Interesting review. Maybe I'm retarded or something, but I thought the ValveKing 100 head through a 4x12 sounded REALLY good. I'd like to try the Epi SoCal, just make sure I don't prefer it over the Peavey. Also, it looks like possibly, the "most metal-ey" of the bunch, the Randall, has been discontinued. Maybe the Crate V33H will surprise us all. Then again, maybe it won't.

Quote by MESAexplorer
This is true for my hybrids but the Randall V2 has a ton of warmth, and a real tube feeling gain channel. Definatly worth checking out if you plan on spending around $1,200 for a head.

Oh well, I wasn't saying that SS amps couldn't have any warmth or what not, I was trying to point out that "Best of both SS and Tube" isn't in the tube preamp. Infact, an SS preamp is probably more flexible than most tube preamps, with the ability to add effects, like the Switchblade, or Dave Mustaine's previous Rocktron Prophesy set up, or even Hammet's JMP and tube poweramp (although I think there might be a tube or two).

Quote by LEVEL4
Really? Interesting review. Maybe I'm retarded or something, but I thought the ValveKing 100 head through a 4x12 sounded REALLY good. I'd like to try the Epi SoCal, just make sure I don't prefer it over the Peavey. Also, it looks like possibly, the "most metal-ey" of the bunch, the Randall, has been discontinued. Maybe the Crate V33H will surprise us all. Then again, maybe it won't.

I think the combo version is still out there, RG50TC?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4

I wasn't too big of a fan of the VKs. I felt for an amp with a modern look, and built recently as a tube amp at an affordable price, it would have at least had a modern gain to it. I've heard them with distortion pedals, they sounded thin and piercing but yet, it is a much better option to the SS halfstacks under $700.

Randall V2's haven't been discontinued if that's what you're referring to, but they're $1,200...

If you can find a SoCal definaly try it. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Probably would have sounded really nice with some boost. I guess a good way to describe it would be a B-52 AT100 with less gain.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Page 1 of 2