okay, im sixteen, love old thrash metal like metallica and megadeth, and i might be in a band soon... i've been playing guitar 1 1/2 yrs... some guy who knows my guitar teacher is trying to form a band.. friday night, me, him, and a bassist he got are going to jam to see how it works out... only thing is, although i play decent, i know too many full songs... maybe a few riffs but not really any FULL songs... i dont really want to embarass myself... both these guys are older and are used to playing at little locals gigs.. plus they have a huge arsenal of songs im sure... when they ask me to play a riff ill only have a few covers that i know... is it common to not full songs when uve only been playing a year and a half?
eh i wouldnt worry too much i mean
there older theyll understand if you dont know the whole song
just got to get use to playing with other people
it takes time
good luck
YES! your story sounds so close to mine and you've been playing the same amount as me. Just be yourself and let your talent do the talking. Let them know your progress and just basically that's about it. If you're gonna be in a band with these guy you need to be on the same level, mentally. Don't worry to much about the cover songs because you'll be making your own music, and cover songs can go so far until you end up on youtube playing them.
call them ahead of time and ask if they can think of any songs that they would want to jam to so you can learn them in advance
Yo exactly what they said, just do what you can do, give it your all, and theyll understand, i mean youve only been playin for 1 1/2 years, what do they expect you to play? Hendrix?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
You got to learn full songs. It may take you a week or two to learn one but thats how you will get better. PLaying covers is the best way to get good, that's how hendrix did it. Technique and scale practice will only get you so far.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Yo exactly what they said, just do what you can do, give it your all, and theyll understand, i mean youve only been playin for 1 1/2 years, what do they expect you to play? Hendrix?

Hendrix is like the first thing most guitarists learn...

lol
Quote by freshtunes
You got to learn full songs. It may take you a week or two to learn one but thats how you will get better. PLaying covers is the best way to get good, that's how hendrix did it Technique and scale practice will only get you so far.

Hendrix did his thing and who knows if he's a Hendrix fan. "playing covers is the best way to go" That's crappiest advice I've ever heard. Seriously, way to be original buddy.
Quote by freshtunes
You got to learn full songs. It may take you a week or two to learn one but thats how you will get better. PLaying covers is the best way to get good, that's how hendrix did it. Technique and scale practice will only get you so far.

... are you serious?
I've been playing for a full 2 years, and I dont think I remember any full songs. I usually learn a riff, a bridge part, or a solo. Most of my time goes to improvising and getting my rhythm and general comfort with the guitar down.

Usually most bands start out doing covers, pretty simple way to start off since everyone can just find the music and learn it. Then bands generally progress into improvising on cover songs (adding sections, extending it, changing solos, ect.). Then they start writing material of their own.
Last edited by TJM2482 at Oct 29, 2007,