Page 1 of 2
his techniques are pretty good. i like his vibratos a lot. i can't do it like that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
his techniques are pretty good. i like his vibratos a lot. i can't do it like that.

He does it B.B. King and Hendrix style, like me =D

God everytime I watch it i get the shivers.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
woah, hes pretty damn good.
reach in the darkness for what you can find travel great distance in your mind.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
He does it B.B. King and Hendrix style, like me =D

God everytime I watch it i get the shivers.

i think shredders use that wide vibrato too.

i do that up/down thing that clapton does. iono but i cant wiggle my hand.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest

Yea i do the up and down thing to, it feels weird when i try to wiggle my hand like that.
reach in the darkness for what you can find travel great distance in your mind.
Yeah he is good, I give him props but I don't think I am blown away. In my ever so humble opinion Youtube is full of players that can pull an SRV lick a million times better than this guy...
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
Quote by ECistheBest

The vibrato technique I picked up by teaching myself is really fast, I take all my fingers except the one I'm vibrato-ing, twist my hand forwards towards the headstock, and shake really fast. Angus Young does it that way too. You should try it, I'm trying to learn how to do the clapton/SRV technique now.
-Jim Morrison
i dont know im not digging the tone... might be due to my comp's sound card though
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
i dont know im not digging the tone... might be due to my comp's sound card though

I dont like it either. to me it sounds like hes got an octave or something going on.

His technique is good though. ive seen better on youtube though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I prefer the sound of slow, wide vibrato, which is why I do it that way. Gotta get better with my index, though (though my pinky is hard as hell to vibrato with because it doesn't even reach the last joint of my ring finger [which is longer on my left hand than my right, I don't know if this happened because I played guitar lol]). I used to do Clapton-style vibrato, but then I learned the wide vibrato and I got addicted. I just love the wide, slow, controlled range YEAH! </rant>
haha. i do a Slash-ish index finger, first joint only vibrato on lower three strings. it works okay on the wound ones. but the high 3 strings, i use the clapton style...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I vibrato by taking off all my fingers except the fretted note and my thumb, and shake my hand parallel to the neck. It works good, but I'm trying to develop a wider style, kind of like how Zakk Wylde does. I don't like Zakks playing, but he has good vibrato.

This guy is amazing though.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
I vibrato by taking off all my fingers except the fretted note and my thumb, and shake my hand parallel to the neck. It works good, but I'm trying to develop a wider style, kind of like how Zakk Wylde does. I don't like Zakks playing, but he has good vibrato.

This guy is amazing though.

I agree with your statement on Zakk. Sometimes his excessive wide-ass vibrato'd pinch harmonics get annoying (I don't wanna stop, anyone?), but nevertheless I do like his vibrato.

I think it was dave_mc that linked to a video of Shred Durst and that's when it really clicked. I was playing around with the technique before and with some Petrucci, but it was the speed and intensity he did it at and explained that really struck a nerve.
that was ok, not amazing. I dont like that signiture guitar with the SRV on it.. looks like a sticker.
Quote by ECistheBest
^i thought it is a sticker...

i dont think it is, its painted on the scratch plate, and its deffo a sog guitar because of the gold hardware and the tremelo upside down, with the whammy bar north of the trem.
Quote by DieKrupps
i dont think it is, its painted on the scratch plate, and its deffo a sog guitar because of the gold hardware and the tremelo upside down, with the whammy bar north of the trem.

When I played a SRV sig strat at GC, the SRV was actually carved in. Engraved in the plastic.
-Jim Morrison
He's a good guitarist... has a ton of technique but will never be anything but 'Good'. Why you ask? He has NO originality at all. He developed himself as a straight up clone; no personality.
eXperiment63, nice dude your basing his originality simply on one video where he shows his abilities in one aspect.

n00b question log #1,123,233,177,546

Will move the puickup switch that fast do anything to the electronics? I don't want to break somethin'.

thank you
Quote by DAaaMan64
eXperiment63, nice dude your basing his originality simply on one video where he shows his abilities in one aspect.

n00b question log #1,123,233,177,546

Will move the puickup switch that fast do anything to the electronics? I don't want to break somethin'.

thank you

Actually no, I watched a bunch of videos... And the guy is a straight SRV rip-off. Everything he does is the same style as SRV. There are like 10 videos on youtube of him. Hell, he even does a live performance of SRV's Little Wing...

Now the rest of you folks, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

And to answer your question, as long as the switch isn't a piece of crap it will be fine.
if the vibrato is what is making all the hubub then i dont get it... its the classical guitar style vibrato, which is very common.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
He ain't as good as SRV or Jimi (tho he is definetly playing nice there), but his tone is probably the most accurate SRV tone next to SRV self that I've ever heard.
Quote by eXperiment63
Actually no, I watched a bunch of videos... And the guy is a straight SRV rip-off. Everything he does is the same style as SRV. There are like 10 videos on youtube of him. Hell, he even does a live performance of SRV's Little Wing...

Now the rest of you folks, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

And to answer your question, as long as the switch isn't a piece of crap it will be fine.

The first step to forming your own style is learning someone elses.

/owned.
-Jim Morrison
All I can say is kudos on nailing the uber-thick wah tone...that's something I've been trying to get since I got a wah over a decade ago. I've been through nearly 20 wahs and I still can't get that sound.
Very impressive. Not incredible, but I could never play that well. Very nice, thick wah sound.
I don't have any nifty things to stick here, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Pancake Bunny
Quote by SlinkyBlue
The first step to forming your own style is learning someone elses.

/owned.

Theres a difference between taking influences from someone you like to completely copying them. He's like the ****ing Joe Stump of blues.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Quote by One Way Ticket
Theres a difference between taking influences from someone you like to completely copying them. He's like the ****ing Joe Stump of blues.

But, dude, its the blues. People have been copying it since Robert Johnson recorded "Sweet Home Chicago" in 1936. You've got a fat chance of finding someone out there in our day who's completely original and plays the blues.

I don't see how you could get mad at a blues guitarist by saying he's "Not original" =/
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
But, dude, its the blues. People have been copying it since Robert Johnson recorded "Sweet Home Chicago" in 1936. You've got a fat chance of finding someone out there in our day who's completely original and plays the blues.

I don't see how you could get mad at a blues guitarist by saying he's "Not original" =/

There's only so many ways to play the pentatonic
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
There's only so many ways to play the pentatonic

Are you agreeing with me? XD
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Are you agreeing with me? XD

Yeah, I suppose I could have made that a little clearer. lol @ me
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
I see you've found my video...

erhherrm...

yea

Seriously though, that guy's incredible. Perfect wah wah overdriven tone. Awesome.

"He's a beast!"
Quote by SlinkyBlue

yea but the thing is, even with blues you can have originality. SRV, clapton, hendrix, rory gallagher, robert cray, BB king, albert king, etc... all have their own styles. sure you can hear everyones influences but they all have their own style. personally im kinda getting tired of seeing people play almost exactly how SRV played and who have pretty much the same tone.

but i guess its all part of the learning process really. hopefully people like this will find their own style and sound.
Page 1 of 2