I've been planning on buying a guitar for metal, because I've been getting into playing it more and more, but I don't want to hot rail-ify my Tele because I sill want the twangy, country tone because I play with a country singer on occasions. I'll be playing mostly 80s metal stuff (Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Early Metallica type sound). The particular guitars I've been looking at are the ESP EX series. I really love the Explorer shape (always have) and the idea of the jumbo frets and fast, thin neck. But here's where my problem starts: which series do I get? I'm on a fairly tight budget (about $300 at the moment, but Christmas is coming up) and don't want to spend a lot. I know the EX-50 retails for about $225, but has (I assume) crappy pickups and an agathis body. The FX-260 (which I also like) runs about $400 and is somewhat out of my price range. Is it worth saving for instead of getting the 50? Because I have already decided if I get the Ex-50 I am dropping a Duncan JB and a AlNiCo II into it. But will the agathis body kill that tone?

Sorry for the long post, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone can offer insight, what would be the best way to get my Blues Junior metal-ready? I was thinking along the lines of an EHX Metal Muff and a Boss Noise Supressor, but I have no idea what that's going to get me.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
Yeah, I appreciate the reply, but it seems you neglected the fact that I am on a very tight budget. A Gibson is WAYYY out of my price range.
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
If I understand right, you want a guitar to play metal on but sometimes country? I know your on a budget, I know how it feels. It seems as if you cant save that extra penny and you want to buy what you can afford now. I would save a little more, look at other brands that make that design, just to see your options. Your at the bottom end of the med range guitars.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
No, I have a Tele for country. I'm wanting a pure metal guitar. I'll use it for hard-rock and metal only. I'm mainly just wondering if there's something out there for my low-budget that I can put new pickups in and find a really nice tone.
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
hmmm out of those id suggest the fx260, way better for metal, have you also considered looking used by chance though?
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
^ I live in the middle of nowhere, and have to drive nearly an hour just to get to the nearest mom and pop music shop. It's really hard to ever find anything nice used around here. Ordering is about my only option.

Also, is the fx260 really worth the additional $200?
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Quote by CaveatLector
^ I live in the middle of nowhere, and have to drive nearly an hour just to get to the nearest mom and pop music shop. It's really hard to ever find anything nice used around here. Ordering is about my only option.

Also, is the fx260 really worth the additional $200?

not really (more like...maybe 50-100), but I'd get it since the 50 is made of agathis and has less quality hardware.
Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the FX 260 have the same ESP black nickel hardware, but with a push-pull coil split and spalted maple top?
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Check out the the Dean Cadillac, theres different grades. The X's are even nice. They also have thin necks.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
I say save up and get yourself a Jackson DKMGT.
Got it for around 700$CAN brand-new.

Or, you can replace that Spider of yours and get a Microcube if you've only got 300 to spend.
^ ^ Have you had any experiences with the the ZX?

EDIT:

^ I'd rather not replace the Spider. If anything, I'll sell it for pedal money to use with the Blues Jr.
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Last edited by CaveatLector at Oct 30, 2007,
Although I do like that Jackson, I honestly don't want to invest that much money into a guitar I'm really not going to play as my #1. I play metal mainly for fun--not with a band or anything--and wouldn't need the top of the line. Maybe you could recommend a lower-end Jackson that fits my needs? I really have no experience at all with Jackson guitars.
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
If you don't want to spend an asston of money, but want a good guitar for metal, Ibanez man.

Ibanez RG2EX2. I'm runnin one of those with the same exact amp you have, it sounds pretty good, as long as you don't turn your amp way freaking loud.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
well my issue with most of those guitars is they're bolt on, i honestly hate paying so much money for a bolt on neck guitar, the fx-260 is also mahogany and imo will sound better than alder or basswood
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
But with a set of good pickups, will the wood have a huge affect? I mean, it'll sound better than the stock pickups, but will the tone still THAT bad with the agathis?
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
^^^honestly EMGs sound pretty bad in agathis, dizmarios as well, duncans dont do much either, the wood itself is very muddy and tends to not produce a solid tone, agathis is alright if your just using straight out high gain distortion but besides that i havnt been able to produce a tone im completely happy with
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Have you tried shopping around on the ebay, and guitar centers used site?
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
I'd go for the Ibanez RG2EX1.

fixed bridge so you should have tuning stability and sustain, plus you'll have the fast neck you want.

It's a bolt on neck but it has an all-access neck joint so fret access will be good.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'd second going with secondhand guitars. The only new guitars I would recommend that are ~$400 and made of high quality woods would be Ibanezes...either the RG321 or RG2EX1...mahogany or basswood, 5-way+Infinity pups vs. 3-way and ESP designed, or Schecters...this Damien is within your price range and comes with genuine EMGs (passive), basswood body, and a maple neck, all good for metal. I searched Youtube, and found this guy demoing it...it's worth a listen.

ESP and Schecter were bought out by the same investor but they operate independently if I'm not mistaken...so although their designs are not influenced by each other, they tend to be sold together in smaller guitar shops where they have to be set up well. So, if you are going to try out an ESP FX, you will probably be able to try one of these (or similar) as well.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 1, 2007,