I'm interested in learning a little bass, and I'm looking for a cheapish good bass to learn on. I was checking out www.rondomusic.net and there are some nice looking jazz bass copies on it. Are these any good? I know the SX strat copies and the agiles are nice, but how do you guys think these look?

I'm looking at the

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb-75ltd3ts.html

or maybe the http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb57.html

Give me some input on these, guys. Also, any tips on learning bass as well as guitar? The guitar would be my main thing still, and I figured learning to play bass as well because my potential band is having quite a bit of trouble finding a bass player.
Yes, SX basses are good. They're made of good quality wood, decent enough hardware, for a fraction of the price of most entry level basses. I've played much worse for much more money, and Rondo Music are great to deal with.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I bought a fretless SX a while ago because I didn't want to go all out. Overall good quality but might need a bit of new hardware and/or a setup. Strings too.
I can't figure it out. Everyone else seems to recommend them, but I bought one and the stupid piece of **** wouldn't stop falling apart. It probably depends on which model you buy. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.
Quote by Hergiswi
I can't figure it out. Everyone else seems to recommend them, but I bought one and the stupid piece of **** wouldn't stop falling apart. It probably depends on which model you buy. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

Which one did you buy? I heard that the guy who runs rondomusic is really cool and would replace it.. or something. So.. which one do I need to steer clear from?
Quote by Hergiswi

Understandable. Mine is an OK starter bass. Other than that, if you're seriously looking into playing bass, go for a mid level Fender or Schecter. (Only speaking from limited experience)
Last edited by JMDavis07 at Oct 29, 2007,
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
Which one did you buy? I heard that the guy who runs rondomusic is really cool and would replace it.. or something. So.. which one do I need to steer clear from?

Guy I spoke to, Kurt, I think, was an extremely patient and helpful guy. I wouldn't doubt it.

SX are popular over at TalkBass, from what I've seen. People buy 'em like sweets over there, and I've seen far too many modding projects where the paint is about all that's left stock, and the $$$ spent is still less than buying an Ibanez/Squier/whatever low level bass. When the wood alone is worth the price of the entire bass, if not more, then it'd be silly not to get one if you can afford it. Even if you swap out the pickups, bridge and tuners, it's going to cost less than most other starter basses, and likely sound much better.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Well i got one as my first one (check teh siggy) and i must tell you this story...

Since i live in a country with not many musicians (specially in the part where i live) its sort of hard to find good stuff, last friday one friend from a city nearby came to jam with my bro and other friends, he got a scheter stilleto 6 strings bass and hes really pro at playing and funky jamming :P

When they were almost finishing i got home from school and took out my bass to play a bit with them and Madero (thats hes name) told me to play the best thing i know until now (aeroplane by RHCP) and he was surprised by the sound quality of a 180 (around that) bucks bass he also told me to sell it to him because he liked it so much, of course i said no because im planning on modding this and also the 1st is always a treasure for me at least, for now i cant talk bad of anything about this bass, they are hand made cheap durable and pretty looking also they say vintage in the head stock so that makes people go like "OMG YOU HAXOR GOT A VINTAGE GEAR, WHATS THE PRICE OF IT!!" of course i either lie or just keep quiet about it :P

Go for it if its your first bass, pretty nice and even my bass teach likes it because it got a rich sound :P
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Last edited by Line6 at Oct 29, 2007,
Nice pick there mate, i got this one... http://www.rondomusic.com/spb57tmfretless3ts.html

Just that mines fretted and it goes from black to blue in the center but its the same pickups and same wood (which sounds neat!) I might change the pickups tough, they sound really GOOD for the buck but i think the sound can be BETTER

Egh. I ordered it two days ago and just now my payment is refunded because they don't have any more. Don't you think they could've told me when I ordered it that it's out of stock? Now I'll either have to order one of the lesser jazz basses or wait til they have more of the one I want.
You can always buy it in another color and when you get a second bass give it another paint of your liking like im going to do with mine

Quote by pugnapugnapugna
Egh. I ordered it two days ago and just now my payment is refunded because they don't have any more. Don't you think they could've told me when I ordered it that it's out of stock? Now I'll either have to order one of the lesser jazz basses or wait til they have more of the one I want.

Ah, yeah. Rondo do tend to sell out quickly. Annoying, but when a company is in enough demand to sell out of their cheapest line of mass produced basses in a short space of time, gotta be a good sign.
Woo, so I got my bass today. It's completely satisfactory. It came ridiculously quick! The action isn't bad, but there's quite a bit of fret buzz. Intonation is a hair off on the D and G strings, but all these things can be fixed. Frets stick out slightly on the bottom, but not nearly enough to bother me. All in all, it's a great bass for an even greater price.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
Woo, so I got my bass today. It's completely satisfactory. It came ridiculously quick! The action isn't bad, but there's quite a bit of fret buzz. Intonation is a hair off on the D and G strings, but all these things can be fixed. Frets stick out slightly on the bottom, but not nearly enough to bother me. All in all, it's a great bass for an even greater price.

Glad to hear it came out good, just take it to a music shop, thats easely fixed and its always good to change the pickups if you want a brighter and better tone :P Not saying that stock ones are bad, they are GREAT for being just stock, but it would be better if you change em :P