I am close to buying a tube amp. I don't want to spend more than $500. I play rock like tool, nirvana, foo fighters, bush etc. I have a boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion pedal that i use on my peavey trans tube right now. I need to be able to play small gigs.

Is the valve king as good as they say? If not, whats an alternative? Thanks guys.
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
then i ll have to buy a cab
My Gear:

Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
It's ok, i would go used tho, you can find pretty cheap. I would take the classic 30 over it and add a pedal for Metal.
They are good sounding amps, with a fair amount of EQ range. That said, for heavier metal, you'll need a TS9 or something, as at most gets a Megadeth thrash sound. However since you have a Boss, you should be fine. Don't get a Classic 30; its vintage voiced, and you'll want a modern voiced amp for what you're playing. Rand RG75G3s are pretty nice, as are the Crate V-series, but I am unsure of country of origin or reliability track records.
Quote by jimmy666page666
It's ok, i would go used tho, you can find pretty cheap. I would take the classic 30 over it and add a pedal for Metal.

+1

A second hand Classic 30 blows away the VK, IMHO. Should have little trouble finding one under $400. The Crate V32's a nice amp, too, but I'd definitely go used.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The downside to the V series is there aren't any around my area that i can play.
My Gear:

Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
Tool requires quite a lot of distortion. I've nailed Adam Jones tone with a Korg Toneworks and Mesa F-100 but the F-100 is quite a ways out of your price range.

If you could save up another $150 or so you could start looking into the Mesa F series. Peavey XXX's can go for that cheap. I believe Slats owns a Traynor, which I've heard from numerous people they can get the amount of gain as the Mesa Express series, which I find pretty impressive considering I've never thought of traynor as a hard rocking amp...I really wanna try one though :p

Maybe a Line 6 Flextone II would be a good choice. They're very versatile, have good tones, and are quite affordable and easy to use.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
So buying used is a smart thing to do ? Im a bit nervous about that. whats the best way to buy used? ebay ?
My Gear:

Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
Quote by swervin
So buying used is a smart thing to do ? Im a bit nervous about that. whats the best way to buy used? ebay ?

It depends, if you buy from a seller with -5 feedback and he's selling a Bogner XTC at $200 Buy it now...that would be a little on the risky side.

Ebay is good if you are smart about it.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I dont play metal, the heaviest thing i play would have to be tool. and they play mostly drop D...everyone says dont buy the VK if you play metal.
My Gear:

Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
Quote by swervin
I dont play metal, the heaviest thing i play would have to be tool. and they play mostly drop D...everyone says dont buy the VK if you play metal.

Tool still requires quite a bit of distortion. Adam Jones tone is based on a loooot of saturation and dryness.

If I weren't such a big tool fan I would probably be a better help as to which amp you would be best off with.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
aside from tool, what about the sound of like bush. nirvana, rage against the machine etc.
My Gear:

Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
You can get plenty of distortion on the VK. The only issue is getting the speaker broken in so it isn't flabby on the low-end. The stock speaker needs a break-in period before it sounds nice.