I have been reading a lot on people who just learn covers a alot and copy styles and not create your own style or sound.

and i thought i am one of these people who do that...but i love learning songs, and jamming over backing tracks, helps me keep in time, and stamina of a entire track as well, but i experiment myself as well.

What do you guys think ?...whats your way of progression
i learn to cover other successfull songs so then later i can play them and boost my ego/self esteem

seriously thoe theres nothing wrong with learning covers... if u write your own stuff in the proccess.. all the better
You can take what you cover and use it to inspire stuff that you write.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
yeah but you create yout own playing style by taking bits and pieces from other guitarists. for example, i have a Hendrix/Maiden/Halen type of style.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
It's important to learn the styles of other musicians in order to develop your own. Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton played other people's music and were session musicians for years before they ever started recording their own music.

You do run the risk of sounding unoriginal in the end, but it's sort of a thin line you have to walk.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
yeah its great as long as your not covering only from one band cause then your sound on your own stuff will sound just like theres, learn a viariety then kinda put stuff together, so you have your own sound when you write your own music.

it actually helped me out alot by learning a variety, i got pretty good, i don't know many chords and stuff but i can play stuff better than people who have had lessons and surpassed their teacher.
And of course, there's also the argument that there's only so many variations you can do. Even if you appear to have developed your own style, chances are somewhere in the world someone else is playing the same way. Just do what you feel comfortable with, and who cares about originality!
With covers just what I've taken from them was new techniques. And with those techniques it benefited my playing ability, so I can always make better songs. That's how I view covers.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by JohnnyPaul
With covers just what I've taken from them was new techniques. And with those techniques it benefited my playing ability, so I can always make better songs. That's how I view covers.

Exactly. I think every guitarist covered someone's song while learning. That is how we get techniques from our favorite guitarist and band. Learning it makes us better.

Not only techniques, but song composition. How a song is structured is important when you start writing your own songs. That is how covering songs is good. But 'too much of anything is bad,' remember that.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
or u can plagiarize what you cover

worked for millie vanilli

only if you do it the same and claim it to be yours then thats plagerizing the cover