I have a very simple question; how much difference do scalloped frets make to your tone?

I ask because I've recently fallen in love with the tone of one Takayoshi Ohmura when he's using the neck pickup and want to know how much of that sort of tone is coming from the fact that it's a single coil (I'm used to humbuckers) and how much is the missing wood from his neck, so to speak.

If anyone can give me any pointers on how to get the sort of sound on this vid on the neck pup I'd be most appreciative (there will be cookies).

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR5xPpkR-V0
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
the scallops mostly help with bends and articulation of the notes, the single coil would be more directly related to the tone you're hearing imo. Of course, how you articulate notes is part of the tone too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I scalloped the frets on my washburn 7 string from the 12-24. I didn't notice it at all to be honest. It's when the string touches the metal the notes are fretted, you don't even make it to the fretboard past about the 9th fret.

I could imagine it making a huge difference on the Yngwie sig, but just a 12+ scallop, ehh, kinda pointless.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ He asked a valid question.

Was just saying other gear would have more of an effect

Edit: I can be very sarcastic sometimes, don't take it to offense, TS I've actually watched that video before. It's pretty sweet
Last edited by Serendipity at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by Serendipity
Was just saying other gear would have more of an effect

I would believe so.

Yngwie claims that he has a much better feel of the guitar when the neck is scalloped. If it works for you, keep doing it.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Say Ocean
More importantly -----> good guitarist good guitar GREAT amp

A good guitarist could make a First act guitar and a Spider III sound decent.

Having better gear is just a (huge) plus.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Serendipity
Ah, so the amp, guitar, pickups, and his technique makes no difference. It's just the scalloped fretboard? It would make a definite difference in terms of vibrato and bends. Probably not much difference in other matters.

I'm well aware that everything else makes more difference, but I'm going to try to get close to that tone so I was wondering just exactly how much of it comes from the scalloping, apparently none , so I don't need to get a scalloped fretboard to sound like that.

Does anyone know what amp he's playing through though?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What hes saying is you only can push down so far on 12+ frets. Most of the time not to the wood of a unscaloped neck. there for your gaining nothing.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Skill, amp, and the guitar itself.

It's mostly his technique and skill. I know people who can make a starter pack guitar through a Fender Frontman 15R sound godly, and people who can EASILY make a Gibson SG through a JSX sound like the apocalypse.
I played the Yngwie strat and hated it. As far as it affecting tone, I don't imagine it having a drastic affect.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm well aware that everything else makes more difference, but I'm going to try to get close to that tone so I was wondering just exactly how much of it comes from the scalloping, apparently none , so I don't need to get a scalloped fretboard to sound like that.

Does anyone know what amp he's playing through though?

Glad you didn't take it to offense like a 12 year old Was in a sarcastic mood If you want a Yngwie-esque vibrato, then yes, a scalloped fretboard would make a difference, but in terms of tone, it's minuscule.

I'm in a helpful mood today, but I can't quite make out what amps he uses. His website's "equipment" section apparently only deems guitars to be his equipment. I think he usually uses a JCM800 or a Hughes and Kettner Duatone (? not sure). In that video, though, it looks like he's using a Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MKII. Of course, he's using ESP guitars. Hope that helps.

Quote by TJM2482
Skill, amp, and the guitar itself.

It's mostly his technique and skill. I know people who can make a starter pack guitar through a Fender Frontman 15R sound godly, and people who can EASILY make a Gibson SG through a JSX sound like the apocalypse.

Totally agree.
The single coils and the Hughes and Kettner amp are doing far more for his tone than scalloped frets ever will.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!