So, even though I actually just bought a guitar a few weeks ago, I'm still interested in maybe building my own.

Dad built himself a bass a few years ago, so I could probably get him to help with assembly. I was planning on ordering parts from Warmoth.

My thoughts as of now:

Tele Thinline body (unsure of the woods at the moment, would need some reccomendations there...)
Thin-ish neck profile
Neck P-90
Bridge lipstick tube

Basically, something that would give off a good assortment of clean/overdriven tones, and would work well for slide playing. That's all I've really got to have.

So, I need some help with this. what type of woods would I be needing here? The pickup combination any good? Different body would work better for me, maybe? Is the whole concept worth it?

Just rough ideas at the moment. would like some feedback, though.
You want a very bright and trebbily sound since you slide a lot and don't play with heavy distortion? go for more dense/less porous woods, the body is important, but don't neglect the fingerboard either, it effects the darkness or brightness of your tone a lot. Also, go for single coils if clean bright sound is your thing.

I'll leave it to others to get more specific, or you can just utalize the search bar to see what woods give the bright kind of tone you are looking for, and which single coils you'll want for your own taste. (p 90 and lipstick sounds like an odd combo, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, just search till you find info on which is best for you).

edit* you should also get rid of your post in the guitar forum, don't double post.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Oct 30, 2007,
Well, I'm actually a fan of the fuzz distortion and the "dirty blues" sort of sound, so I may be making use of them. Single-coils do fine with that, apparently. But yeah, at the most it'd be Led Zeppelin level distortion. Not much in the modern sense.

And yeah, the pickups are a bit odd, but I want to incorporate some elements of the Danelectro sound into it, and that's the simplest way to do it.

Overall, though, I dunno. I'll see if anyone else has opinions on the matter.

And, well, Elec. Guitar gets more traffic. figured I'd get more responses there.
I strongly suggest going for it. Though don't go all out on your first build. It may not be exactly what you want, but even if the guitar isn't what you want, you still gained the experience which will better define your ability to make one that will exceed your own expectations. Good luck!
don't neglect the fingerboard either, it effects the darkness or brightness of your tone a lot. QUOTE]

If he's playing slide the strings won't be touching the fretboard much. The point of slide is to bypass frets and get more notes out of the neck. Unless he's gonna be doin alot of delta blues stuff with hybrid fretting and sliding the fretboard could be pretty much anything.

With that said I love thinline tele's and the p90 in the neck would sound SICK.
The way I interpreted the reference to slide is that the threadstarter doesn't want to have the guitar suck for slide, should the threadstarter wish to play slide.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
The way I interpreted the reference to slide is that the threadstarter doesn't want to have the guitar suck for slide, should the threadstarter wish to play slide.

Pretty much, yeah. I'm mainly a rhythm player at this point, and the lead playing I'll be doing is probably going to be slide. I don't have particularly agile fingers as of yet, so I'm not really a soloist or anything.

So the fretboard wood WOULD matter, yes.

Going off the other thread I posted in Elec. Guitar (which has now faded away), someone suggested putting the P-90 in the bridge and the lipstick tube in the neck (most lipstick tubes I've seen are mounted in the neck/middle position, and I assume that contributes to the Dano sound). The only way I'd really agree to that is if I could mount the lipstick under the pickguard, so as not to throw off the humbucker-single Telecaster look I was going for (kinda like Albert Collins' Tele), and kinda create an Esquire vibe. Or maybe even put two P-90s and a lipstick between them (still under the pickguard). Dunno.

That's pretty much the whole reason I came here, though, to see what would work and what wouldn't.
Just tune to a nice open tuning, and just jam with the chords. It's mighty fun.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

^actually, I've done that a few times, and yeah, it's pretty awesome.
It's just so fun to do. My favourite is Baba O'Reilly in open C/open C minor.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says: